R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip Adrian. Sounds like I was doing it half right without knowing. I'll try polishing the diff rings. Maybe even save another $1.50 on new rings. Something else to do between heats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
team tightwad racing i found yer missing parts on the track !
still running the ole skool TC-3
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

The ceramic diff balls do not need very much lube. They will slip if you use to much. I hardly use any diff lube with ceramic diff balls. There just is not enough friction at times with the ceramic balls.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Finally got around to rebuilding my diffs and trying this tonight. It worked out REALLY well, and allowed me to run the diff much looser (without slipping) that before. Magically, the car turns again.

Adrian, I don't care what people say about you, you're alright in my book! :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Diff rings

When I was racing gas cars 2wd with ball diff we would reuse the diff rings and just replace the diff balls.
I found that when the diff rings wore a groove in them it would have more surface area around the diff balls.
Not to much diff lube a bit on every second ball and if you can get someone to surface grind the rings dead flat before you first instal them otherwise grind flat with 6oo grit on a piece of glass.
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Finally got around to rebuilding my diffs and trying this tonight. It worked out REALLY well, and allowed me to run the diff much looser (without slipping) that before. Magically, the car turns again.

Adrian, I don't care what people say about you, you're alright in my book! :-D
Its all about racers helping racers.

Besides, Corally USA and Schumacher USA are pretty good friends. We live an hour apart and we race together all the time.

FYI, you can sand the grove out of the ring and reuse it several times before they are worn out. I replace my rings once a year but I rebuild my diff 3-4 times per year (the latest Schuey diff lasts forever).
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #21
Tech Lord

Great thread. It seems the faster you go the faster the diff goes.
Heavier grease in the thrust bearing. Has really helped my Xray.
As for the diff rings I tried heavier grease and it helped the rear diff but I'm still 2 difffs to 1 On the front diff. Running 4300 foam on carpet. Andrew has probably the best solution and that would be dial out the at the bottom end. most factory mod set ups on speed controls are allready that way I think.

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #22
Tech Lord

If theres any place to read about this sanding the diff routine, I sure would like to read it in detail. At the cost of rebuilding an Xray diff you can almost just buy a new one. I dont really see how gritting the ring is helping? And I'm sure thats not a one liner.

X
Old 01-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #23
Tech Lord

I'll add the longest lasting diff I ever ran with a mod was my TC3. The spring loaded diff seems to be pretty darn good. And the diff rings were smooth, were as the Xray rings are scuffed like the sanding you all are talking about.

X
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Thanks Adrian, that's the kind of response I was looking for. I wonder if we'll see some additional thought given to diff design in the next generation of cars as brushless continues to come on strong.
Maybe your diffs are built wrong. Ran my RDX with the 4300 and zero problems. Matter a fact about 8 of us run the RDX with the 4300 with zero problems. I could understand the 3.5 hurting the diffs, but the 4300 is not that fast to hurt the diffs.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Maybe your diffs are built wrong. Ran my RDX with the 4300 and zero problems. Matter a fact about 8 of us run the RDX with the 4300 with zero problems. I could understand the 3.5 hurting the diffs, but the 4300 is not that fast to hurt the diffs.
Were you guys running the ceramic balls? That seemed to be the biggest issue. The diff didn't seem to grab enough, so it would slip real easily coming out of turns and needed to be really tight. I built them according to Jeff's "blueprint" and it worked okay. Maybe foams on carpet exacerbate the problem? Other guys have having similar problems with their non-Corally cars, too.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #26
Tech Champion

The ceramic balls seem to do ok for the stock and 19T rubber guys but they seam to kill the diff rings in mod rubber or foam and 19T foam.

If you have a lot of power or traction ceramics seem to slip easier even with a tight diff. Tungsten balls don't slip even with a more loosely set diff.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #27
Tech Apprentice

hhahah complaining about wear with 4300

wait till ya install a mamba 7700
duhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The ceramic balls seem to do ok for the stock and 19T rubber guys but they seam to kill the diff rings in mod rubber or foam and 19T foam.

If you have a lot of power or traction ceramics seem to slip easier even with a tight diff. Tungsten balls don't slip even with a more loosely set diff.
Well, as stated Ceramic balls slip faster then steel or carbide ones.
One of the tricks is the one described in the almighty Marc payne 1/12 notes:

http://markpayneblog.blogspot.com/20...erentials.html

I do this in both 1/12th and my Yokomo BD (plastic diff outputs) and former RDX...
Trick is to make a groove in the diff plates so the ceramic balls have more surface to tough against the plate.

Read it, it sounds awfull while doing it but it works: in short:

Build your diff but put some rubbing compound (I use the one from Motip) on the balls instead of grease. Dont tighten dont to tightly, you must really hear the compound scratching in the plates. Play with your diff for a while and notice the groove you're pulling in the plates... When you satisfied, completely clean you diff so every last trace of the compound is gone and put it back together again.
Diff should work very smooth now and the balls wont slip that easily.

You should really try it ;-) (and btw, no, the diff balls wont be hurt cause ceramic is extremely hard)
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #29
Tech Lord

Huh, interesting. Wouldn't sanding the rings with something more coarse than 600 grit achieve essentially the same effect of running the diff in with polishing compound? Maybe like 400 grit or something?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #30
Tech Champion

If you sand with 600 the diff will feel smooth. With 400 grit it comes out just a little gritty feeling.