R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

imprsme, I think you hit the nail on the head....
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #47
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

One other thing to add is all of the guys that are complaining about guys needing to move out of stock maybe they should also complain about the mod guys needing to quit cherry picking and moving out of 19 turn!! The class that was intended for the top stock guys to move to before jumping into full blown mod.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to G Ace Send a message via Yahoo to G Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
Only one of the mentioned drivers has made the step to Modified. Good job Dayger!
Thank you Todd for saying what the rest of us have been thinking.

Some of these factory sponsored "stock" guys have been racing stock and have had major sponsorship for 5-10 years or more. It's not just Craig, even though he is one of them.

I kinda blame the companies for giving major sponsorship deals to sandbaggers who run stock. If this is going to continue to be the norm, maybe we need to have a "Pro-Stock" class and a "Sportsman" class?

Last edited by G Ace; 12-20-2006 at 09:44 AM.
G Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
One other thing to add is all of the guys that are complaining about guys needing to move out of stock maybe they should also complain about the mod guys needing to quit cherry picking and moving out of 19 turn!! The class that was intended for the top stock guys to move to before jumping into full blown mod.

EA
I fully agree!!!!!!!

We tried this once.....It was agreed that at only the races(Novak,Snowbirds,That had factory classes for 19 turn)Factory drivers would compete it them......That didnt even hold for one race!

In order to change this 100% of the companies have to be in agreement not 99% or it will happen again..
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #50
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Baker
I fully agree!!!!!!!

We tried this once.....It was agreed that at only the races(Novak,Snowbirds,That had factory classes for 19 turn)Factory drivers would compete it them......That didnt even hold for one race!

In order to change this 100% of the companies have to be in agreement not 99% or it will happen again..
I should also add that of all the "Pro" drivers I know none of them choose to run 19 turn...Its dictated by their major sponsor's. Just as a lot of stock guys I know...

EA
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #51
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigX
First race will be the Full Throttle Challenge at The Track, then Snowbirds...no Novak race for me.
So Craig, you gonna run stock or 19T at Mimi's?
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #52
Tech Elite

It really is up to the companies, but in reality getting them all to agree is going to be hard. Unfortunately, the smaller companies will see a decline in factory guys partcipating and choose that time to try and get an easy win. When that happens, the bigger companies will have to respond. It cyclical and shows that 19t is working, but for different reasons.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #53
Suspended

Quote:
I should also add that of all the "Pro" drivers I know none of them choose to run 19 turn...Its dictated by their major sponsor's. Just as a lot of stock guys I know...

EA
The race promoters themselves could help by allowing just one entry per car type. If racers want to run two classes, they would have to go with 1/12 scale.

Too bad it will never happen, though.

But again, this topic has been beaten to death countless times in numerous threads. Just too many talkers and not enough do-ers.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #54
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
The race promoters themselves could help by allowing just one entry per car type. If racers want to run two classes, they would have to go with 1/12 scale.

Too bad it will never happen, though.

But again, this topic has been beaten to death countless times in numerous threads. Just too many talkers and not enough do-ers.
Agreed 100% on it all!!

EA
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think there needs to be a way to promote mod racing at a club level. if stock racing is the only thing your track has, are u supposed to run mod by yourself. not fun running by yourself.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default MOD

You're just scared
LATIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nah i just felt that your mod motor building wasnt up to par. lol motor builders union local 7
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

EA
I fully agree here - I am a stock and 19T racer - and what I loved last year at Snowbirds was Expert 19T and just 19T. One reason I did not sign up for 19T at the Novak race was even though I am decent driver, I would and will be in the way of Paul Lemiuex, Dumas, etc...

I think factory drivers need to be in 'expert' classes and if Joe Club racer wants to run with the big boys - he can still sign up in that class - but if he doesn't - he won't have to worry about getting out of the way to some the best in the world.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to CraigX
Default Just my opinion...

I think the definition of Factory Driver has become slightly ambiguous. When I think Factory Driver, I think of a guy that wakes up on a Monday morning (or afternoon...or even Tuesday) goes to a nearby radio controlled car track and does a little test and tune or some R&D or might even report to some other radio controlled car related establishment. Not someone who wakes up Monday morning (before the sun is up) jumps out onto the sufficated highways for the morning commute on his way to a 8'x10' cubicle waiting for him on the 17th floor of a building at the nearby metropolis so he can push some ink around a piece of paper and bang away on a keyboard, waiting for Saturday to come around..."Sorry, no overtime for me this weekend, I'm going to play with my toy cars!" That's just my definition though.

Personally, I started in the modified class and switched to stock for several reasons. First one being running modified at the club level, at least around me, is not very much fun as there are only a couple guys at best to run against when the stock class is full of competition. Second, it's extremely difficult to compete at a high level with guys that are doing this for a living. Just the amount of track time and level of input that these guys have at their disposal alone. I love how close the competition is in the stock class...this past year in Cleveland the top 5 or so guys in the A were separated by less than 1 second during qualifying...that is what's insane. Maybe I am walking around with optimistic blinders on but seems people that compete on the level of racing where they are going to Nationals and all the major races, want to see this type of competition to push themselves to be on top. It's competition and who nowadays doesn't run with some type of sponsorship at that level. Some of us are not professionals (see above definition of "Factory Driver") we just come out for a big race like everyone else and just happen to be pretty good at this whole toy car competition thing. As for the weekly updates of who's moving where, like EA said, that can be blamed on the internet and how easy it is to start a new thread about anything just for fun. Take notice that I did not start this thread, those that know me, know I am way too low key for that. Also, like imprsme said, people do seem to keep an eye on the stock class at major races, which makes more sense to me. Honestly I think stock is not for beginners, it's a spec class and those are often the most competitive (and expensive) forms of real car racing. Would seeing what chassis is on top of the stock class, running a spec motor and a car that are both available to joe public have a bigger influence on your buying than seeing Marc Reinhard win with a prototype brushless equivalent to a 2 turn and parts that are fresh off the CNC machines and may never see the hobby shops. Again, like imprsme said, Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. This is a business for the manufacturers. To go along with stock not being for beginners, should there be some type of Novice class with iron-clad rules for who can and can not qualify to participate as a Novice? I know the original post was more aimed at companies and not individuals but I think some of the stock racers are getting a bad rep here.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #60
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
i think there needs to be a way to promote mod racing at a club level. if stock racing is the only thing your track has, are u supposed to run mod by yourself. not fun running by yourself.
Very valid point. If know one runs mod at your track then you have to race in the classes that are available to you. Running against 2 or 3 guys just isn't fun.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote