Drifting!

Old 02-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Cool Drifting!

Does any else here drift besides me? I just started today since i have now school. Man it is great! You can find setups in an issue of RCCA, and on this website www.rcd.zip.to/ .

Just about any old car that is light and strong can drift! All you need to setup is :

*TORQUE!! you need a torqy motor to drift! (ex. P2k, P2k2)
*0 camber rear (perpendicular to ground), about -4 front (it works!!)
*any servo, even standard works
*60-80wt shock oil in front, "regular spring"
*80wt shock oil in rear, FIRM spring, rear neeeds to be stiffer than front
*The harder the tires the better! they dont have to be racing, preferably any hard or stiff tire

For noobie drifters such as I, using electrical tape on the tires is an effective way to drift, if your streets or parking lot isnt in top condition (bumps, cracks, etc.). I think it is MUCH easier to create a drift with tape on the
*right down the middle on the rear tires
*on the Inside (side of tire closest to the car) of each front tire, so you will leave some "tire" left on the outsides of it.
Some consider tape to be for the weak drifters, but i disagree. With tape you can hold a drift muuuuuuuch longer and have a lot more fun. But sometime the tape makes it too slippery and you spin out alot. Just experiment with it.

Drifting is very fun,and cheap compared to racing.
The hardest part is getting the hang of actually controlling your drift, or performing multiple drifts in a row.
To start drive in a straight line Slowly, and get a feel for your cars "grip points" or when the car loses grip in the rear tires. Remember this!

After increasing your speed and performing the drift again and again and again you will notice that once you start drifting you need to countersteer to hold the drift. This is exactly how you want to drift! Once this happens you need to hold the speed and keep the drift going.

Drifting through corner is even harder than keeping a drift going for a long time. Aim for a corner, then turn HARD to create a drift, hold the drift until you get past the corner, then regain control. Use the steering to keep the car in control and get the car through the corner.

I hope all you guys try this different approach to r/c, and i bet you'll have loads of fun! Hope this is interesting to you guys!

[EDIT]: When you complete one drift, and are transititing into another drift you need to keep in mind that the Rear end will come around TWICE as fast as when it first did, because of momentum. Actually physics dont apply to drifting as much as regular r/c, as you are going for less friction, and kind of "toying" with friction and sliding.

Last edited by KevanB; 02-28-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

WOW!

Check out the drift video from that site.

I have never actually seen R/C drifting in action before, and wasn't convinced a car could be held sideways for such a long distance and for such a long time. But damn, now that I know it can be done.... I'll be giving it a shot.

I have a question though. Doesn't the rear diff need to be locked, or at least significantly tightened? Otherwise the inside rear will just spin uselessly.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Im not sure on that one. I JUST started it, but im kinda good at it. The only problem here (columbus) is that the streets are CRAP so drifting is difficullt, even with my Hpi lowered E-Rally.

It seems to be working for me. And i think that the wheel wouldnt be spinning "needlessly" as you NEED wheelspin (especially in the rear) to drift. Friction kills drift.

BTW what car will you be drifting with?
Old 02-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

am i really the ONLY one here who tried drifting?!!?
Old 02-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Dude..you've only had the thread up for 3 hours, be patient! I haven't tried drifting, although I mess around in parking lots with my real car doing it though. To bad we don't have handbrakes for RC!
Old 02-28-2003, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

I'll be using a TAO3-R. Everything is good to go. As of now the car will oversteer at the slightest lift of the throttle despite having just a 540 in it! I just need to fabricate some suspension links so that I can adjust the camber.

I can't maintain a drift with a 540 can I?
Old 02-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

d00d's drifting is really gonna fucked up your motors quickly.. all that wheelspin...
Old 02-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Spinning is spinning, whether gripping or slipping.

Nice ryhme.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Iso Octane
Spinning is spinning, whether gripping or slipping.

Nice ryhme.
Spinning is spinning,
whether gripping or slipping,
You gotta love the smell,
of all those rubber a-burning,

Hey, keep it up. Who knows this might make it to as OST of a " The Fart and the Fungus" spoof

Old 03-01-2003, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

We do competitive drifting over here

It's called racing in the rain, VERY similar to tht vid, but with more cars!
Old 03-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by rough512
Spinning is spinning,
whether gripping or slipping,
You gotta love the smell,
of all those rubber a-burning,

Hey, keep it up. Who knows this might make it to as OST of a " The Fart and the Fungus" spoof

Old 03-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Tech Adept

Contrary to popular belief you don't need heavy amounts of camber on the front of you car to drift. I don't know why everybody believes. Our R/C cars are 4wd. They can do the awesome zero counter steer drift. I drift in the hallway of my dorm. It has polished tile floors. The only hard part is having the front tires hold on long enough to swing the back around when the weight transfers to the front. But when i finess the back around I just use throttle control for the drift and thats what its all about. My bro and I drift "one handed" and way just like on the option videos. Its pretty cool. Drifting is all about throttle control. It has been good practice in understandin my r/c car and has greatly improved my driving at the track
Old 03-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Adept

Had a typo. We drift one handed and WAVE our other hand like on the option video. We also drift together. We're gonna post video one day. We're working on drift bodies. I have a silvia and skyline gtr.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:40 AM
sup
Tech Addict

where are you located warlord385? if im not mistaken, skylines come in right hand drive (straight from japan) and you need to convert it to left hand if you live in a left hand drive country/area. anyway, i envy you having a skyline!! wow!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think he is talkin about bodies for his RC, sup, LOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.