R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2003, 07:10 PM   #16
Tech Adept

I don't have skyline I WISH I DID R32 RWD or R34 4WD . You can get a real skyline in the US through www.skylinegtr.com which is motorex. They are about twice as much as if you would buy then in japan, but if i had the dough i would get one, or s15, or 1999 rx-7, but right now I might just get a rps13 and drop ad sr20det in it. But truth be told all i could really afford is my s15 and r34 skyline r/c powered by a team orion core stock to drift with but hey i'm happy
warlord385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:52 PM   #17
sup
Tech Addict

hehe! psychomotor was not functioning well.. all i have for drifting is my tomy bitcharg!!
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by warlord385
They can do the awesome zero counter steer drift. I drift in the hallway of my dorm. ... Its pretty cool....
Yes but see, zero counter steer drifts rely heavily on entry speed into the drift (momentum keeps it going). I don't have a RWD real car, so I haven't had the opportunity to try real drifting in real life before, but from what I see on videos is that basically you can keep the car in oversteer for longer periods of time through use of throttle.

I don't think this can be done with 4WD, and in such a case you would probably need to countersteer too.

For now, the moment you counter steer on the R/C, it'll come right out of oversteer very nicely. So I'm going to disconnect the belt and try it with 2WD. In retrospect the drifts in the video weren't that great... having it zoomed into the car like that, you can't tell how much the car is sliding (which isn't much).

Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:21 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Its not about keeping the car in oversteer. Drifting is judged on power, speed, duration or the drift. Its all about going side ways. That includes entering the corner perpindicular to the apex, going around the turn perpendicular but exiting smooth. Watch some option videos. You use counter steer to correct for oversteer. With 4WD you get the car side ways and used the torque of your motor to keep all the wheels slipping. Slow down for more grip/move the car closer to the apex, use more throttle to slip the tire more to keep her sliding, and use counter steer if the back wants to swing out too much. To initiate you got to get the front to dig in which makes the back loose. Thats the basics. But simply put drifting is the art of getting sideways. RWD are easier to drift because there easier to cause oversteer to initiate a drift. AWD cars are easiest to drift but you need LOTS of power which our overpowered r/c cars. You need lots of power in AWD cause you need to break all four tires loose. A good drift in an AWD car needs no countersteer and its absolutely cool. Granted rwd look just as cool with countersteer.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Watch some option videos. You use counter steer to correct for oversteer. With 4WD you get the car side ways and used the torque of your motor to keep all the wheels slipping. Slow down for more grip/move the car closer to the apex, use more throttle to slip the tire more to keep her sliding, and use counter steer if the back wants to swing out too much. To initiate you got to get the front to dig in which makes the back loose.
I haven't seen (or don't think I have, since people don't name their files properly) any Option videos, but I have seen many many drifting-for-the-sake-of-drifting videos and counter steering is absolutely a part of it. They're pretty much counter steering through the entire turn.

I think the zero-countersteer thing you speak of isn't exhibition drifting. From my experience with that, corner entry starts early because you're low on grip (my tires were beyond their last runs), you let off the throttle semi-abruptly transfering the weight to the front to make it bite, and the back rotates around. You use the throttle pre-emptively and through the turn to keep it from spinning. The car will slide through the turn on the racing line at a noticeable slip angle, but not exactly perpendicular(to the direction before the turn) until after the apex. No steering input is needed. But this totally depends on entry momentum.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:45 PM   #21
Tech Adept

If you do a hard core drift you'll stay perpendicular to the apex. If you watch clips of 4WD sklines, WRX, Lancers, and rally cars you'll notice they don't use a lot of countersteer. Once again contrary to popular belief you don't need worn out tires to drift. If you engine has enough power to break traction you don't need worn out tires. Also you keep the tires spining to continually slide the car, and counter steer to correct for oversteer, of course this is with RWD. In AWD if your front, center, and read differentials are set correctly you need no countersteer unless the rear is coming around really fast or at entry and exit. THis is because once you get your "drift angle" at entry you can now rotate the car more by slipping the tires more(more throttle) which will cause the car to slide more and rotate more and less throttly to get more grip to move more into the apex and/or reduce oversteer. This is possible because all tires pull on an AWD. In RWD they are easier to oversteer but you must use countersteer to correct for the rear because the front tires have no power. The throttle is used the same way as 4WD, excpt for the correction of oversteer. This is why 4WD is easier to drift you only need to control throttle throughout the drift. With RWD you need to use throttle and Countersteer and most of time in drifting you don't correct you anticipate a correction. Even in RWD you should countersteer but not that much. Most of the drift control must come from throttle. THe smoother the better
Old 03-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
If you do a hard core drift you'll stay perpendicular to the apex. If you watch clips of 4WD sklines, WRX, Lancers, and rally cars you'll notice they don't use a lot of countersteer.
Ahhh, you are indeed correct. I went and watched the video of a Lancer Evo7 hard-hardcore drifting around a track, which ended with the car rolling... have you seen it? For 4WD yes but in the case of RWD, countersteer is still absolutely a part of drifting. Again I watched some videos (AE86s, Silvias, etc.) and the maintain at least some, to a lot of countersteer all the way from entry to exit (where they wag the tail).

Quote:
again contrary to popular belief you don't need worn out tires to drift. If you engine has enough power to break traction you don't need worn out tires.
Well it isn't essential to use worn out tires, but if the goal is slip, then why not start off with something easy to slip with. In the case with RC cars, even with a set of "not-exactly-worn" tires it is still pretty difficult to break traction mid corner to that extent, with a stock motor. Also, with worn tires the transition from slipping to gripping is more gradual. I'm thinking of using some masking tape in hope that I can use a 540.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:37 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Hello,
Just back from holiday and catching up on the latest news.
I'm impressed to see some other enthusiastic Drifters out there. My brothers and I started out building cars for drifting as our initiation into RC cars. While learning to drive our cars in the local parking lot we discovered an area that seemed to be particularly slippery with our kit supplied Tamiya B compound rubber slicks. It was a rarely used section of the parking lot. Our first cars were pure drift machines with their 12 Turn motors on this slippery track. We learn't to drift really quickly and had a ball. The cars front end would be facing the inside line of the curve all the way around in true drift style it was just mad!!!! My brother even painted "Drift King" on the rear window of his R32 Shell...
Ahhh those were the days......

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:25 AM   #24
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lab-driver
Dude..you've only had the thread up for 3 hours, be patient! I haven't tried drifting, although I mess around in parking lots with my real car doing it though. To bad we don't have handbrakes for RC!
I think you're referring to powersliding, not drifting...drifting is an art, not ebrake pulling around turns

To answer the question, I found a great local parking lot for drifting, and love doing it.
Goldfingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:01 PM   #25
Tech Adept

u can use e-brake to initiate and control a drift
Old 03-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #26
Tech Rookie

You can, but that's not what the art of drifting is about. How often do you see professionals using the ebrake?
Goldfingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #27
Tech Adept

a lot, Watch the drift king. When you see those rear tires stop spinning to rotate the car a little more to initiate or correct a drift. sometimes you use the brakes to the slide the car over some. There are many techniques to drifting and utilizing these techniques in neat and creative ways is what makes drifting an art
Old 11-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Drifting is not controled only by your e-brake, you dont even have to use it to engage in a good drift. when you use your E-brake u make your car do a 4 wheel drift, this type of drift can be very hard to control if u use the e-brake too long. but u can also drift by over powering through a corner, but hey that is how it is done with real cars not R/C cars.
D1DriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

anyways you can also control a drift using your gas only, you dont even need to use the E-brake
D1DriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Well for me a solid diff in the back is much easier, but I am using a one-way in font. With a normal diff in the back the car tries to get traction while drifting and I can't hold drifts for as long. I have used both types of yokomo tyres and a type of drift tyre made and sold here in NZ, which work very well on asphalt. I do not change the setup a lot on my car from mod and it works fine.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote