R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
nikkiesteban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,649
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban
Default soldering battery sideXside

just wanna ask if i will be soldering by batteries into sideXside packs whats the battery should be..?? i mean do i have to put charge in it before soldering it or discharge it to 0.9 before soldering it.. because putting the iron too long i think will surely hurt the cells.. so if i put charge in it will it matters?? i mean whats the best condition of batts when soldering.. should have charge in it or none??
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
just wanna ask if i will be soldering by batteries into sideXside packs whats the battery should be..?? i mean do i have to put charge in it before soldering it or discharge it to 0.9 before soldering it.. because putting the iron too long i think will surely hurt the cells.. so if i put charge in it will it matters?? i mean whats the best condition of batts when soldering.. should have charge in it or none??
no charge for soldering
__________________
TOP Racing USA--OD Racing--Novak--Power Push--J Spec
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
t4m1y4niac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
just wanna ask if i will be soldering by batteries into sideXside packs whats the battery should be..?? i mean do i have to put charge in it before soldering it or discharge it to 0.9 before soldering it.. because putting the iron too long i think will surely hurt the cells.. so if i put charge in it will it matters?? i mean whats the best condition of batts when soldering.. should have charge in it or none??
before soldering, make sure your cell is empty, discharge it to 0.9 is good. And, make sure you using high quality iron that have power about > 120 W so the soldering process is fast.
__________________
SABRE S4 by TOP RACING....
t4m1y4niac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
nikkiesteban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,649
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
before soldering, make sure your cell is empty, discharge it to 0.9 is good. And, make sure you using high quality iron that have power about > 120 W so the soldering process is fast.
thanks sir odpurple, t4m1y4niac.. i will do that.. thanks again sir for the help...
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
nikkiesteban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,649
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban
Default

question again.. i dont have any battery jig to assemble my batts.. any recommended/alternative way to get soldering easy.. coz if not battery will not look good for sure... misAligned sideXside... hahaha
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
question again.. i dont have any battery jig to assemble my batts.. any recommended/alternative way to get soldering easy.. coz if not battery will not look good for sure... misAligned sideXside... hahaha
I don't use a jig. I shrink wrap the cells and glue them together with shoe goo, then solder the bars on. If you do not want to glue the cells together you pretty much need to use a jig.
__________________
TOP Racing USA--OD Racing--Novak--Power Push--J Spec
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Z.Hallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 401
Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett
Default

depending on the chassis you have, you could put them in and secure them w/ the strap. solder on one side, then take them out and flip them over. solder the other side. i recommend doing this ONLY if you have a chassis that has at least one side of the pack exposed.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
JohnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Back in good old England :)
Posts: 590
Default

Buy a jig and a good soldering iron, and take your time! It's not worth making a mess of an expensive set of cells for the sake of a few $.

If you dont you'll wish you did
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
nikkiesteban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,649
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban
Default

ok thanks.. i think i will glue them after i installed the shrink... btw how do you wrapped your cells?? i mean you blew an hot air like hair drier??
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

If you mean how to shrink the shrink wrap, you can use a hair dryer. It'll take longer. If you can get a hold of a heat gun, that's better. It's hotter and will heat the shrinkwrap faster so you don't have to blow on the cell as long---->avoids overheating the cells.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
SPC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
Default

Assemble the cells side-x-side using a battery jig and a sufficient soldering iron with a 3/8" chisel tip. With practice you can obtain solder joint like these.
Attached Thumbnails
soldering battery sideXside-pc020081.jpg   soldering battery sideXside-pc020091.jpg  
SPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
nikkiesteban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,649
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder
If you mean how to shrink the shrink wrap, you can use a hair dryer. It'll take longer. If you can get a hold of a heat gun, that's better. It's hotter and will heat the shrinkwrap faster so you don't have to blow on the cell as long---->avoids overheating the cells.
thank you very much sir..
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 210
Default

I've allways paid to have my packs assembled.. $7 - $10 is what I've paid seems worth it to me..
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 201
Default

question on soldering those batteries,
do you need to prep the surface of the cells to get the solder to flow and stick? it dremmel or ruff up the surface of the cells, and pre-tin? i can never get mine to flow nicely with a minimal amount of solder.
Electro-MAX RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #15
agp
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro-MAX RC
question on soldering those batteries,
do you need to prep the surface of the cells to get the solder to flow and stick? it dremmel or ruff up the surface of the cells, and pre-tin? i can never get mine to flow nicely with a minimal amount of solder.

i use fine grit sand paper to sand the batt surface b4 soldering the batt.
agp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soldering to Battery peterchia41 Singapore R/C Racers 5 05-16-2008 11:50 AM
Is SideXSide battery spacing always the same? macnkitty2002 Electric On-Road 7 02-28-2006 03:48 PM
Battery Soldering Secret_weapon Electric On-Road 19 08-30-2005 03:50 PM
Battery soldering Committed88 Electric On-Road 5 05-14-2004 09:58 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net