R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Call Joe Ford at Castle Tuesday morning. He will take care of you ASAP.

913-390-6939 ext 119

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #62
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yup, call Castle. They have awesome customer service. Your problem sounds similar to what happened to one of my Mambas (1/18th). I had the hesitation (almost like cogging), overheating (even after a few minutes of running), and some glitching (with a Spektrum). After checking the cap, connectors, & battery, it turned out to be a loose connection at one of the motor leads. I resoldered it and it ran without any problems. Yours may be something else, but you may want to check everything out.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yep, I can tell you that here in Florida in the summer months, temps can be 95 degrees, with 90% humidity (Feels like 110 degrees out). Thats not even the surface temps which can be 150+! The novaks and LRPs' cant take this kind of operating temps (I've had them both). You have to gear them 10:1 just to keep them from getting too hot, but then your slow. I recently purchased the Mamba 5700 and geared it 7.5:1 just to see how it runs. It came off barely warm but with crazy top end, but lacking low. Its not real hot outside now (80's right now) but will try a 8.5:1 ratio next time. So far I'm really impressed, set-up was very easy, it fit perfectly on my 415, no cogging, jerking and was very smooth, more like a LRP. I think a way of getting around ROAR rules will be to either run trinity BL's, or wait for the Tekin motors. This ESC should be able to handle anything thrown at it. Good job castle!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #64
Tech Adept

Hi all. Just wanted to chime in on my 1st experience with the mamba max 7700kv system. I have the sphere and gtb also, and I gotta say i'm impressed with the mamba. I've only run 4-5 packs through it, but its very smooth. I was very worried that it would cog and not be smooth simply because i have driven other sensorless systems, and was not impressed at all. this one is very nice. initial impressions are that it might be even smoother then the sensored systems. anyway, its very close. also, it never thermaled on the carpet during those shakedown runs. i am no longer a sceptic on the merrits of sensorless. plus, the usb link is very cool and the speedo is a no brainer to program this way.

it's too hard to say yet how it compares power wise, but it's pretty close to a 4.5 (or so) during intial impressions.

now the question is: can i stuff a sintered novak rotor in it?? that would be cool.
lonepalm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm4
now the question is: can i stuff a sintered novak rotor in it?? that would be cool.

Why?

RCCA MAMBA MAX Review

Look at the pics of our motor.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Ran mine in brushed mode the other day and I had a strange problem. The ESC seemed to cut out 3 or 4 times in the middle of the straight. Anyone else had issues like this?
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yup. Back straight only, and only if I hammered full throttle. If I rolled on the throttle, it was OK. But I wanna hammer.
I was running a 19t.

I got some help from Castle regarding the settings, but haven't tested since i made the changes.

If i remember right, Use default settings, change to brushed mode, and make sure Timing is set to Normal.
You should be able to modify any other settings, except these.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Default Error Message

I have tweak the settings on a friends Mamba, and we are trying to upload to ESC, but we keep on getting an error message saying: error communicating with device, unable to write packet to controller...what's this?

Also, what's a good set up for running TC in mod class. I have a 7700KV CM36 system, and the set I have doesnt have the top speed and punch my NOvak 4.5R system has. Sometimes the system overheats and stops working altogether. I have to wait a few minutes and then recalibrate. Could someone please give me a good set up- I need to go as fast or faster than a 4.5R, but without it thermalling or shuttering or cogging...Please help.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There may be a problem with that speedo with the error msg.

About the performence, do you gear the 2 setups the same? The mamba wil need more teeth on the pinion to be geared properly compared to a 4.5.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #70
Tech Adept

the reasoning behind stuffing the novak rotor in is that is appears to have more magnet then the mamba. i figured it might make it more powerful? anyway, i'm just messin, as the mamba is plenty fast as is. plus i don't want to mess it up after only 4 runs. again, nice job. i'm very impressed so far........
lonepalm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Mamba magnet is larger in diameter but shorter in length than the magnet in the Novak motor. The reason the Mamba spins so freely is that there is no iron stator in it....just bundles of copper wire. This is called a slotless motor design. Slotless motors have no cogging.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #72
Tech Master

Was wondering if whether if the program can be run on a window OS based Palm top? That would be better then lugging a laptop to the track...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #73
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

nope, can't install the software onto a Windows Mobile device.

Even if you could, wrong USB port on the mobile device.

that would be really nice though...
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #74
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwdude
nope, can't install the software onto a Windows Mobile device.

Even if you could, wrong USB port on the mobile device.

that would be really nice though...

Probably Castle Creations can maybe look into this as one of thier next project?
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote