Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max Vs Novak 4.5

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by veecee
What about the lack of throttle response after they thermal? I haven't heard of too many Mamba's thermalling - at least nowhere near as many as Novak's.
Never seen a mamba thermal
Old 12-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

BTW... has anyone successfully run the Mamba setup with four cells... ala 12th scale pan car...

I might want to get the 4600 motor to run in 19t
Old 12-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akura2
BTW... has anyone successfully run the Mamba setup with four cells... ala 12th scale pan car...

I might want to get the 4600 motor to run in 19t
i think that Adrian is going to try it on his 1/12th scale
Old 12-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akura2
Hey Crash...

I sent photos of myself and my bike to Shawn Palmer (shame he's gone) for use in advertising but I haven't heard anything...
I'll check on that, YGPM as well.

Later,
Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Default 4cell with Mamba

Works fine w/4 cells as long as you disable the BEC on the controller (lift the tab and pull the red wire out of the servo connector). Then use a jumper from the ESC side of the battery to ESC connection and plug directly into your receiver.

Later,
Old 12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Okay, everyone can stop fighting. I didn't realize Charlie was from Novak. I was just stating my opinions from my experiences of owning both systems. Pretty much all of the brushless systems out there, today, run fairly well and overall, one can't go wrong buying one no matter what brand. I think the real issue we must all realize here is that brushless technology is great for our hobby and competition only makes the products we buy even better!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CRASH
Yes the Mamba motor does not fall under the ROAR rules, but the rules are being changed to allow these style motors to be legal with all of the other new ones.

Later,
Hmmm... Adrian (ROAR Excom member) posted this....

"Both motor designs work well but there are a lot of manufaturers that have spent time and money tooling up to make legal motors so the rules will stay as they are for the time being."

Doesn't sound like a rule change is happening any time soon
Old 12-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ottoman
Hmmm... Adrian (ROAR Excom member) posted this....

"Both motor designs work well but there are a lot of manufaturers that have spent time and money tooling up to make legal motors so the rules will stay as they are for the time being."

Doesn't sound like a rule change is happening any time soon
The rules are as they are now because a few manufacturers stepped up and got the ball rolling. From here on it all about what the racers want. You tell us the direction you want to go in and thats where we go.

FYI, when I say "you" I mean ROAR members that email the Excom, tell their class comitees and region diretors what they want.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Adept

Stay tuned for some very exciting info coming from Castle Creations in the very near future. It is is very exciting news and at the moment that is all I am allowed to comment on, but Castle owners and followers will not be dissapointed!
Does this mean I should postpone my impending Mamba purchase, or is this an upgrade for all present and future owners?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BimmerDriver
Does this mean I should postpone my impending Mamba purchase, or is this an upgrade for all present and future owners?
You won't be sorry no matter which way you go.

Later,
Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

I am hoping that Mamba max will solve the thermal shutdown problems that are common with Novak and LRP brushless motors.

I dont think either LRP or Novak motors or speedos are suitable for tropical countries. They run perfectly fine in the evening but wont last more than 3 minutes when track temperature is more than 50 degree C. I own 3.5,4.5,5.5,6.5, 5800, 13.5, 1 star and 2 star. I thought that the 3.5 would last longer, it's slightly better but still bad. Only 13.5 performs well without thermal shutdown.

Dont ever buy LRP, reedy or nosram BL motors. Mine went self destruct much much faster than the novaks.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'll check on that, YGPM as well.

Later,
YGPM back
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any truth to the rumor that Trinity guys willl run the new Trinity Sensorless BL motor (it is ROAR legal) withthe Mamba Controller? If so, this should be a fair test against the Novak Stuff
Old 12-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Azmio...i tried hard to get a MM to themal, and couldn't do it....it is possible to do so, but not under any normal use.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Mamba MAx Issues

Just bought my mamba max and tested it today to compare it to my Novak 4.5R system. I run on outdoor asphalt, modified TC's. Tried it on my new Xray '007. It seemed to have more punch and power in the infield, but a bit slower on the straights. I set it up with the following gears. Xray T2 48P 84T spur, and 16T pinion, for FDR of 8.9. Aftwer about the 10th lap, the system just started twitching, and then slowed down, and the motor was as very hot, much like a Novak after running for 6 minutes all out. I knew something could not be right. So I turned everthing off, and waited about 15 min for it to cool off. Then tried to power up again, and it didnt make the beeping noises it usually makes to let you know its armed and ready to go. Tried a couple of more times, and still no beeps. Now I got really worried. Next, I tried re-calibrating it. No beeps, and no luck. All it does is twitch forward and backwards, but doesnt go anywhere, and motor gets warm. Tried giving it a push start...nothing. Got steering, and motor reacts to throttle and braking as the LED's on the ESC light up accordingly, but the motor just doesnt run; it makes twitching noises as if it wants to go, but it seems to be locked or something...very strange. So I loosed the motor, and cooled it some more, and then powered up again. This time it beeped OK, and now it reacted to thottle OK. Ran it, and it was running nice for a couple of laps, and again, it just locked, and was very hot again, about 180F. Dont know what it could be. I am very furstraded, and will have to sell or send this to Castle for refund. This sucks...going back to my trusty GTB and 4.5R, unless some could please help me out here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.