Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, thanks for the input Adrian
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
No, its the Sphere that know you are running Brushed when you pull the sensor wire. On the GTB you have to go into the setup mode and set it to run in the brushed mode. If you don't it will fry the speedo.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #33
Tech Master

I still don't think Sensorless is "Equal" for all RPM and load ranges.

But who know's I'm biased.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Charlie, if you haven't tried driving a Mamba Max, yet, I'd suggest you try. I may change your thinking. I had my doubts, too, but after running updated software on my regular Mambas, I saw how well it worked, so I tried the Mamba Max and ended up getting rid of my Novaks. Yes, it was that much more impressive.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxnfx
Charlie, if you haven't tried driving a Mamba Max, yet, I'd suggest you try. I may change your thinking. I had my doubts, too, but after running updated software on my regular Mambas, I saw how well it worked, so I tried the Mamba Max and ended up getting rid of my Novaks. Yes, it was that much more impressive.
Did you see Charlie's signature...He works for Novak
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #36
Tech Master

I do in fact work at Novak. But its just not fair to let this stuff go sometimes.

Opinions are not facts. I've driven the newest Mamba, it's better then they used to be, but no one will be able to convince me they are the same as a sensored motors. Sensorless technology has come a LONG way recently for sure, it is much improved from the first stuff we saw, but I still don't think it has any place close the same throttle response, or the low RPM usability.

Of course, I really like the way the Novak motors pull and have super linear throttle.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:48 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have ran both as well and I prefer the Mamba, then again I work for Castle. The only way we will ever now for sure is when the ROAR rules get redone and these 2 sytems as well as the Tekin, Orion, etc... can actually run and compete against each other.

I agree the Novak has better low end start but the Mamba has more mid and top. Just my 2cents.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

FIGHT FIGHT>>>>>>>>>>

Just kinding guys,
I have both and like both......
They each have features that the other doesn't.
The super linear throttle responce of Novak,
The ease of programing of Mamba,
It goes on and on...
I think that this is great for the hobby, WE THE CONSUMER will end up with a better product in the end as both companies want are dollars, so they try to bring the best product to market...
I think when Tekin hits they will have something that neither dose and then the cycle begins again.
I think brushless has come a long way and sensorless seems to be gaining popularity so I think Roar will have to at least give it a serious look now, if they haven't began already.

Charlie and Crash I thank you for both your great customer service....
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Dont want to make this even more confusing, but what about the lrp sphere? Anybody have opinions? I usually like lrp smoothness, but never tried their BL systems...
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #40
Bar
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH
I have ran both as well and I prefer the Mamba, then again I work for Castle. The only way we will ever now for sure is when the ROAR rules get redone and these 2 sytems as well as the Tekin, Orion, etc... can actually run and compete against each other.

I agree the Novak has better low end start but the Mamba has more mid and top. Just my 2cents.

Later,
Isn't the Orion system going to be able to run both sensored and sensorless motors sure I heards that somewhere, might be wrong!
Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #41
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If I am not mistaken ROAR rules allow sensor or sensorless systems... the rule states the motor must use a Wye type wind and the Mamba uses a Delta wind, I believe. This is the were the problem lies at the moment.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
If I am not mistaken ROAR rules allow sensor or sensorless systems... the rule states the motor must use a Wye type wind and the Mamba uses a Delta wind, I believe. This is the were the problem lies at the moment.
There are two problems with the Mamba motor with regards ot the ROAR, EFRA, IFMAR rules. One is that its is terminated Delta the other is that there are no steel laminations in the can.

Both motor designs work well but there are a lot of manufaturers that have spent time and money tooling up to make legal motors so the rules will stay as they are for the time being.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
I do in fact work at Novak. But its just not fair to let this stuff go sometimes.

Opinions are not facts. I've driven the newest Mamba, it's better then they used to be, but no one will be able to convince me they are the same as a sensored motors. Sensorless technology has come a LONG way recently for sure, it is much improved from the first stuff we saw, but I still don't think it has any place close the same throttle response, or the low RPM usability.

Of course, I really like the way the Novak motors pull and have super linear throttle.
What about the lack of throttle response after they thermal? I haven't heard of too many Mamba's thermalling - at least nowhere near as many as Novak's.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Yes I have heard the Orion will run both, but I have not actually had the chance to run one.

The Mamba will not thermal nor will the magnets loose their strength. But this does not mean that you cannot ruin the motor by severly overgearing it.

Yes the Mamba motor does not fall under the ROAR rules, but the rules are being changed to allow these style motors to be legal with all of the other new ones.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

Hey Crash...

just to let you know... I'm the one that set the record for world's fastest RC Motorcycle at the RCCA Speed challenge in July... I was using a Mamba Max 7700 (I was a Beta tester) and a 2Cell 4800 Orion Lipo pack (7.4V)... I took the record from Tony Phalen who was running the LRP stuff with 8 Cells (9.6V)....

just thought I'd throw that in
I sent photos of myself and my bike to Shawn Palmer (shame he's gone) for use in advertising but I haven't heard anything...

Mambas have MAD power... I've used Novaks and I love them (SS4300/SS5800).. but for raw grunt, I like the Mamba
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote