R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've owned a Novak 5.5R GTB and a SS5800 w/ SS upgraded rotor and currently I own a Mamba Max 5700 & 7700. I definitely prefer my Mambas over the Novaks. The Mamba offers much more flexibility & greater speeds due to its ability to be programmed by a computer & wider range of gearing. Intially, I thought it would be more difficult to fit on my car, but it actually fits better than the Novaks. Hands down...the Mamba Max is the bang for your buck.

You can wait for the Tekin, but remember that you will be paying a hefty price for the smaller size and name.

As for getting ROAR approval, I believe there are a couple factors involved. Please keep in mind these are just my thoughts as I don't have any proof to prove these. From what I've heard in the past, a lot of what is approved has to do with who the big players are (manufacturers). This is part of the reason that Novak was able to approval so quickly. Another thing is that if a product is way too superior in performance, it may not be approved as well. The thinking here is also to keep driving skill part of the equation for winning.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
mamba max has a bigger foot print i think than the gtb

mamba max ESC overall:
1.9 x 1.3 x 1.2"

gtb Length: 1.49" (37.8mm)
Width: 1.16" (29.5mm)
The GTB footprint is misleading. I dont think it takes into account all the stuff hanging off the GTB (leads, boards and cap). The GTB is a great speedo but it is a bear to get it into a modern touring car. The Mamba and Sphere are WAY easier to get into a car.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #18
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The GTB footprint is misleading. I dont think it takes into account all the stuff hanging off the GTB (leads, boards and cap). The GTB is a great speedo but it is a bear to get it into a modern touring car. The Mamba and Sphere are WAY easier to get into a car.
you are correct about that Adrian How is that Mamba working out for you/ are you going to run it on your 1/12th scale?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Adrian,
Has Castle Creations sent in motors and ESC for Roar Approval?
I know that since Trinity and now Orion are making sensorless Brushless motors that they will seek approval as well.
I was just curious as the Mamba motors are very smooth and has almost endless gear ratio possibilities. Thermo isn;t an issue with the Mamba max either.

I know that CC is working on software update to be able to use sensored motors for the Mamba Max. Not sure what you will do with the sensor wires.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #20
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Adrian,
Has Castle Creations sent in motors and ESC for Roar Approval?
I know that since Trinity and now Orion are making sensorless Brushless motors that they will seek approval as well.
I was just curious as the Mamba motors are very smooth and has almost endless gear ratio possibilities. Thermo isn;t an issue with the Mamba max either.

I know that CC is working on software update to be able to use sensored motors for the Mamba Max. Not sure what you will do with the sensor wires.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Shookie <><
Im sure they will be approved ,because Trinity sells a sensorless brushless motor too
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you are correct about that Adrian How is that Mamba working out for you/ are you going to run it on your 1/12th scale?
I am about to put my Mamba Max ad 4600 in my CRC 3.2R for 19T class.
I ran it in TC and was a bit over powered but I thought to drop the motor timing to low might even out the lap times.
I was going to rewire the motor with some lower gauge wire to avoid tweak, but wasn't sure.

Adrian let us know what your mamba does in 12th.
Curious minds want to know.
Once I get a little more confident in my 12th skills I will drop in the 7700 but I think the 5700 would be a good choise with maybe a higher the motor timing to keep up with the 10Ts as the track I run at it is a bit smaller.

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shookie- I don't think Castle has any real intensions of submitting the Mamba...current rules will not let it be legal.

As for running it in a 12th scale...i put 16awg wire on mine and it worked fine.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default mamba max 7700 vs novak 3.5r

i hope you dont mind if i post my question here, didnt want to start an entire thread

im about to purchase from tower a brushless system for my yokomo BD and its down to two choices - mamba max 7700 or novak 3.5r

ive been reading up on both and here are my personal pros and cons:

mamba max pros: cheaper by about $50, usb link, upgradeable software
mamba max cons: no local support from our lhs

novak 3.5r pros: available support from our lhs, favorable past experience with other novak products
novak 3.5r cons: more expensive, not as adjustable as the mamba

i would appreciate actual race information from you guys, side by side comparisions, actual race performance between the two to answer such things as:
1. which is faster in a race, not just a straight line?
2. which is better - will last longer, is more reliable?
3. which is easier to work with? setup, install, maintain?
4. which is a better system - sensored (novak) or sensorless (mamba)? although ive read that the mamba may be reprogrammed for sensored mode via the usb? but not sure on this.
5. which is better for brushed motor use? i may run some 19T, 23T, and 27T races, not exclusively brushless mode.
6. other stuff i should know about each system?

also, ive read that the mamba is rated at 7700kv wheras the novak is 10,500kv. is this accurate? so this means that the novak will be faster? what about sensored vs. sensorless? pros and cons to each type of system?

thanks in advance for any info right now im about 55% go on the 3.5R and 45% for the mamba but mainly because of our local novak support. if the mamba is indeed faster in races, i may get that instead.

hope to hear your thoughts/suggestions soon, i have only until dec. 31 to avail of tower's discount
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #24
Tech Champion

1. which is faster in a race, not just a straight line?

You gear the mamba diffrently than the 3.5 but when geared properly they are about the same speed

2. which is better - will last longer, is more reliable?

Both have sintered magents, both are from quality companies, both should last a long time

3. which is easier to work with? setup, install, maintain?

The Mamba is easier to setup initially due to the software. Track side adjustments are a bit of a pain on both but not to bad. The Mamba is easier to install because its smaller than a GTB so its easier to fit in most cars. Maintenece is the same for both...minimal

4. which is a better system - sensored (novak) or sensorless (mamba)? although ive read that the mamba may be reprogrammed for sensored mode via the usb? but not sure on this.

Both systems work great by themselves. The GTB will not drive the Mamba motor. The Mamba Max speedo will drive any sensor motor but the startup is not as smooth as you would like. They are working on firmware revision to make the Mamba Max speedo drive sensor motors more smoothly. This firmware is what you update with a USB cable.

5. which is better for brushed motor use? i may run some 19T, 23T, and 27T races, not exclusively brushless mode.

The real answer is the LRP Sphere Comp Touring Edition. With the Mamba or Novak speedos you have to program them to switch from BL to BR motors. The Sphere Comp just knows what its connected to and changes back and forth automatically

6. other stuff i should know about each system?

The Mamba system is slotless and is not legal for sanctioned racing. Keep in mind that even non ROAR races still use ROAR rules.

also, ive read that the mamba is rated at 7700kv wheras the novak is 10,500kv. is this accurate? so this means that the novak will be faster?

The 3.5 will spin faster at the same voltage but there is more to over all speed than just Kv rating. In reality on a track they are about the same speed. If you want to do all out speed runs the Mamba Max will pull a bigger gear and go faster before the speed control shuts down

what about sensored vs. sensorless? pros and cons to each type of system?

It used to be the sensored was smoother on startup and throughout the throttle curve and sensorless was not as smooth. This is no longer the case. Both are equal now
Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
The real answer is the LRP Sphere Comp Touring Edition. With the Mamba or Novak speedos you have to program them to switch from BL to BR motors. The Sphere Comp just knows what its connected to and changes back and forth automatically
Adrian....I think the GTB knows as soon as you unplug the sensor wires that you are using a brushed motor? It says something in the manual to that effect...I think. I have never run a brushed motor with my GTB yet but from what I read all I have to do is solder in a brushed motor and it will work as the GTB will revert to the 1 brushed profile it has when the sensor wires are removed. Maybe Charlie or Steve can shed some light on this.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.

Last edited by Kevin K; 12-28-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K
Adrian....I think the GTB knows as soon as you unplug the sensor wires that you are using a brushed motor? It says something in the manual to that effect...I think. I have never run a brushed motor with my GTB yet but from what I read all I have to do is solder in a brushed motor and it will work as the GTB will revert to the 1 brushed profile it has when the sensor wires are removed. Maybe Charlie or Steve can shed some light on this.
No, its the Sphere that know you are running Brushed when you pull the sensor wire. On the GTB you have to go into the setup mode and set it to run in the brushed mode. If you don't it will fry the speedo.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Well its a good thing I never put a brushed motor in my car with the GTB...
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Stay tuned for some very exciting info coming from Castle Creations in the very near future. It is is very exciting news and at the moment that is all I am allowed to comment on, but Castle owners and followers will not be dissapointed!

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Wow!!! I wonder what the news will be?

In regards to the 7700 vs. 3.5R, either way you go, they are both great systems. Dollar for dollar, the 7700 is much more worth your money. May be you should wait until Castle releases their news before you go out and buy one.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

guys, thanks for the info
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote