Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discharging and Discharging Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Discharging and Discharging Question

Hello everyone I have a few quick questions, 1) What do you think about the Trinity Dyna Pro Digital Discharger...I read the forum here on it and it appeared to be somewhat mixed reviews...I saw some people complaining that it was very slow to discharge...2) I just purchased a matched preassembled IB4200 pack and I was wondering how this discharger would discharge it... Right now it is in clear shrink rap with a tamiya plug sticking out...Would using the External plugs be bad on this type of pack?
And finally how is the external discharging overall on this unit... will it give me data about the pack? thanks Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

I also thought of another question...When it is doing the 5 amp linear discharge is that 5 amps per cell or is it simply 5 amps for the entire pack...The thing that has me confused is why it only does 5 amps if the ib 4200s and other top of the line batteries recommend 30 amp discharge.. Thanks again Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
I also thought of another question...When it is doing the 5 amp linear discharge is that 5 amps per cell or is it simply 5 amps for the entire pack...The thing that has me confused is why it only does 5 amps if the ib 4200s and other top of the line batteries recommend 30 amp discharge.. Thanks again Jeff
Normally it means entire pack will be discharge at 5 Amp.

You need Turbo GFX or Pro Track chargers to qualify up to 35 Amp discharging.

High amp discharging allows you to know the packs are good or not for real racing condition by looking at average voltage & seconds during discharging period.

In case you buy GFX, never discharge a full capacity IB4200 cells beyond 25 Amp. The cells become so hot and naked...... probably it gets internal damage. Only half capacity ( lets say after 5 min of use ) you can safely discharge to 30A or even 35A.

And Tamiya plugs will melt if you discharge above 10A. You need Deans or Banana plugs.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

I had another quick question about discharging...Currently like I mentioned above I have just purchased a IB4200 WC matched pack that was assembled it is full plastic shrink rapped with a tamiya connector coming out of it...I used it once and have not yet discharged it, my only means of discharging at this time are my ice charger or my integy 20a reactor...Do you have any recommendations on how to care for this type of pack? I plan on running my car tomorrow to give this battery another try out. Thanks Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have used my ICE to discharge and it worked really well so I think that you can feel safe using it as it does a great job....
Old 12-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kcrunchone
I have used my ICE to discharge and it worked really well so I think that you can feel safe using it as it does a great job....
Will using the ice to discharge my my matched cells to become unmatched??