R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Touring Car Question

Hello all, new to these forums and I am looking for some help getting my TC4 to go a little quicker...Currently I run on a oval carpet track...I use the stock 27t trinity monster motor that is required by the track I race at...Currently I cannot get my car faster...The question that I have for you guys is what brushes and srping combo's do you recommend to get the most top end speed out of a stock motor...Thank you and any help or suggestions would greatly be appretiated
jeffbhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Most important thing is to make sure teh brush hoods are aligned. but after that, F-brushes and i would say Purple + and Red - Springs. If you want more torque, go with a Red + and Red -/Red + Green -. But you are shooting for top end speed, so a Purple + and Red - should do that for ya

Ben
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr
Most important thing is to make sure teh brush hoods are aligned. but after that, F-brushes and i would say Purple + and Red - Springs. If you want more torque, go with a Red + and Red -/Red + Green -. But you are shooting for top end speed, so a Purple + and Red - should do that for ya

Ben
How do you align the brush hoods? I saw some tools on tower hobbies sites, but the details were lacking... thanks

Last edited by jeffbhhs; 12-13-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
How do you align the brush hoods? and is there a certain setting that it should be on? thanks
Several companies make brush hood alignment tools, like Muchmoore, Trinity, Brood, etc.

Mucmoore here

The tools are very easy to use. Just loosen the screw and spring post, insert square bar through bush hoods and round bar through bearing / bushing. Once aligned, tighten the screws and post and your done. There should be a slight pinch when pulling out the sqaure bar.

You can also "tweak" the timing of a stock motor using one of these. When adjusting the hood, cock the endbell clockwise slightly, and it will advance the timing.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
Several companies make brush hood alignment tools, like Muchmoore, Trinity, Brood, etc.

Mucmoore here

The tools are very easy to use. Just loosen the screw and spring post, insert square bar through bush hoods and round bar through bearing / bushing. Once aligned, tighten the screws and post and your done. There should be a slight pinch when pulling out the sqaure bar.

You can also "tweak" the timing of a stock motor using one of these. When adjusting the hood, cock the endbell clockwise slightly, and it will advance the timing.
How do you know that you are correctly aligned?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
How do you know that you are correctly aligned?
The tool will only go in if the motor has general alignment. Basically you are just making sure the bushes / hoods are centered on the com with this tool.

Even after using a brush hood tool, it is best to break in the motor for a short time, and check to make sure the brushes are wearing evenly, and adjust the hoods as needed.

You can also check out this site for more tips and tricks on tuning motors - http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/

Last edited by A. Rhodes; 12-13-2006 at 05:57 PM.
A. Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
The tool will onyl go in if the motor has general alignment. Basically you are just making sure the bushes are centered on the com with this tool.

Even asfter using a brush hood tool, it is best to break in the motor for a short time, and check to make sure the brushes are wearing evenly, and adjust the hoods as needed.

You can also check out this site for more tips and tricks on tuning motors - http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/
very informative site thanks!!
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello all, new to these forums and I am looking for some help getting my TC4 to go a little quicker...Currently I run on a oval carpet track...I use the stock 27t trinity monster motor that is required by the track I race at...Currently I cannot get my car faster...The question that I have for you guys is what brushes and srping combo's do you recommend to get the most top end speed out of a stock motor...Thank you and any help or suggestions would greatly be appretiated
You can also get some more straitaway speed by puting a 0 degree block on the back of the car. If the rear starts to come around on you after that, try softer rear spring or if you can afford to loose a little steering add front sway bar. I ran carpet oval w/ sedans for a long time. A good thourogh cleaning will help keep your car as smooth as possible. every little bit helps on the oval, where you got 4 second laps versus 11 second as compared to onraod
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt
You can also get some more straitaway speed by puting a 0 degree block on the back of the car. If the rear starts to come around on you after that, try softer rear spring or if you can afford to loose a little steering add front sway bar. I ran carpet oval w/ sedans for a long time. A good thourogh cleaning will help keep your car as smooth as possible. every little bit helps on the oval, where you got 4 second laps versus 11 second as compared to onraod
I am currently running a sway bar in front, yesterday I was finally able to gain a lot of speed, and it was because of my new matched battery, I was not a believer until I saw it for myself... I just bought a pack of ib4200 matched cells(in sidexside shrink rap though) and it was a huge improvement over the venom 4200s that I had been running, initally I was having handling problems because I was not expecting so much power lol...