Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reedy Quasar Pro - Poor Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)
Exclamation Reedy Quasar Pro - Poor Quality?

I recently picked up a brand new still shrunk wrapped Reedy Quasar Pro AC/DC charger and after charging about eight 6-cell battery packs the darn thing died. The LCD crapped out and left me high and dry at a race.

Now I have to pack it up and ship it off to Associated for warranty repair/replacement. I have emailed Associated for instructions on where to ship it to but they never reply. What's with that anyway?

Has anyone else had issues with this charger? It was extremely expensive and I have to say I am very disappointed.

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

I have had one of these for at least 6 months and have had no problem with it at all.

I'm sure AE will take care of you and get it fixed or replaced.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've had one since their release and the only problem I've ever had is the sense leads breaking off from the alligator clips
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Me!!!

same thing happened to me! I got my charger new and already factory converted to 220V.

I only use the 220V connection and the DARN &^^%@&%#&^%# thing dies on me!!!! I have to unplug and plug it a couple of times to make it work again.

But it only happens when it's idle, but once the charging starts it does not happen!.

And it also happens when you are programming the thing!!!

GOOD THING!!!!!

My LOCAL HOBBY SHOP's service is FIRST RATE!!! (PITSHOP)
He contacted the people at REEDY and it will be replaced!
I have yet to get the new unit!!!!

But the charger works FANTASTIC!! Hope the new one will be perfect!!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I've had one for about 4 months now. I charge/discharge 4 and 6 cell batteries, and haven't had any problems with it.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default QUASAR

mine is still usable and I plan to stick with it for a long time.

I quess we are the few who got the factory defect!

But i have no grudge at reedy for me quasar is still the best
Old 02-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have had mine for about 6 months now and mines has worked great.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

I had two crap out on me. One crapped out right before the 2nd round of qualifying at the Cleveland Champs this past year.

The charger appears to be very sensitive to the power supply being properly grounded. When I used the chargers with my Integy power supplies I had no problems. As soon I as put them on my Rivergate power supplies is when I fried both of them (the 2nd was the replacement).

I then grounded the power supply better and now I do not have any problems.

-Rich
Old 02-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Reedy Quasar Pro - Poor Quality?

The only problems that I've had with mine is that on several times the main fuse blew for no reason. This only happened when I hooked up partially charged NiMh 6 cell packs. I increased the fuse rating from 7 to 10 amps and the problem went away. 10 amps should be sufficient protection against shorting the leads.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:15 AM
CGR
Tech Regular

The power supply in mine took a dump after about 5 weeks. AE replaced with a new in box unit no hassles. My confidence was lost though. I got a CE pitbull and it never gives me problems
Old 02-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Some people are starting to move away from the Quazar Pro, mainly because of its high failure rate, and also because of its limitations to charging.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've had mine for about 8 months... it works good, but I'm sure there are others out there that can do more. (Greatly considering getting an LRP one.) Only thing I don't like about the Quasar is when it finishes charging... everybody in the pits seems to look your way due to the irritating noise it makes... sounds like a bird "in pain" all the time!
Old 02-26-2003, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Well I have the Integy 16x7 and I have heard that the Quasar Pro and Indi are basically the same b/c they are made from the same company and I think it wuz Eagle . But my fan on the charger just died out and when I got a new one for free b/c Integy was nice enough to send me a new one but when I put that on it doesn't shut off. So now I only use one fan and have to be carefull that it doen't get too hot. I am hoping to get a new charger b/c I am really not into this charger
Old 02-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The people at my track haven't had any probloms with the quasar pro. Most people have the reedy or the LRP Pulsar. I have the pulsar and haven't had any probloms either.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hello,
I can get a Quasar Pro from my LHS for about $175 and the Integy 16x7 AC/DC for about $145. Are they really the same charger basically? I don't mind spending $30 extra if the Reedy is better. I also noticed that Integy has 5 year warranty on their charger. I am getting back into racing after being out for a year or so. Thanks for the input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.