Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Corally RDX Phi >

Team Corally RDX Phi

Team Corally RDX Phi

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tamiya is at my roots.... I used to race tcs all the time. I've just moved onto better things

-Korey
Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

I just wish they would stop making parts in the blue tint. I'd never stripped a c-hub out before (the little set screw) but I have done it on a new 3 degree one a my friend did one also. and the blue stuff seems to bend easier. I'll just take uncolored parts.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
I've had one of those for a while now. I'm a machinest ... I tend to have more problems with the right rear bulkheads though... Clancing the sweeper and sending me straight into the outside wall at the hobbyplex.. Sad part is I did it there a month before nats, and while at nats :-/
With that track setup I am not surprised...I set a personal worst for tearing corners off the car at the Nats.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

will the new 3600 orion lipo pack work with the phi, will it fit under top deck and can you plug it in with out milling the top deck
Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
With that track setup I am not surprised...I set a personal worst for tearing corners off the car at the Nats.
But, did you manage to plant all 4 tires on the end boards at the end of the sweeper with a 12th scale... twice!! I even left a permanent imprint of a spur gear in that board (about 1/3rd the way over about 12" up)... I just want to know who's car hit the electrical panel at the end of the straight...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ehlert
will the new 3600 orion lipo pack work with the phi, will it fit under top deck and can you plug it in with out milling the top deck
I have the 3600 snugly tucked into my chassis. The only mod I made was to grind down the flange on the metal insert in the top deck. Rather simple mod. And there is no clearence problems with the connectors.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifter73
I have the 3600 snugly tucked into my chassis. The only mod I made was to grind down the flange on the metal insert in the top deck. Rather simple mod. And there is no clearence problems with the connectors.
thx a lot thats what i wanted to hear i sent you a pm
Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Drifter73
Me too! And, I do hold in the Orion 3600 with both tape and the Phi hold down bracket. The battery slots are filed until the battery slides in with no effort (no tweek either).

To balance the chassis with a 13.5 brushless motor/LRP TC ESC/Futaba 9550 Servo/Spectrum 3500 receiver (on top of servo), I place the battery all the way to the inside of the battery area. Had a stainless steel plate machined that is approximately 4"L x 7/8"H x 1/4"Dą and weighs 140 grams. The plate is biased towards the back of the pack to be more or less opposite the heavy BL motor. That weight along with an additional 42 grams just in front of the servo balances the car at all four corners pretty well.

FYI...I always keep my rubber cars at 1525 grams (ROAR minimum weight).

Bill
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Default Balancing the Phi chassis with a lipo battery

A philosophy per an ex-Corally driver is worth passing on...

He divided the items on the right and left side of the car into six sections, like a six-pack of beer...his favorite libation.

The three sections on the left side of the car each contain (front to back): the servo; the ESC and the motor. The three sections on the right side of the car contain: one third each of the lipo battery.

13.5 MOTOR = 225 grams with center of mass being ? mm from center of car
LRP TC ESC = 75 grams with the center of mass being ? mm from center of car
9550 SERVO (with Receiver on top) = 45 grams with center of mass being ? mm from center of car.

My ORION 3600 BATTERY weighed in at 225 grams; so, that was divided by 3 to come up with 75 grams for each of the three sections on the right side of the car with the center of mass being ? mm from center of car.

So, the servo side is light and need weight to counter the battery weight; the ESC is virtually equal to the battery; and, the battery side is waaay light opposite the much heavier motor. Getting the weight fairly close was pretty simple with balance weight described in my previous post. It hangs off the rear of the pack by about 1/2" to get most add-on weight opposite the motor.

Yes, the rear weighs slightly more than the front; but, you won't hear me complaining about a lack of steering...LOL.

Only other lipo battery that fits into my Phi so far is the new SMC 4000; but, I do not like the placement of its connection wires.

Bill
Old 04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

It is not necessary to get the battery under the top deck like everyone presumes. Realistically, the lipo battery can be strapped to the chassis with the right rear section hanging off of it to counterbalance the left side of the car. Then is isn't as necessary to add all the weight to the outside of the lipo battery. Also, this will allow you to run larger hardcase lipo batteries as well.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I wonder if we'll see LiPo chassis made wider on the right side to move the battery out more, and help counterbalance the weight of the electronics? It doesn't take much.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

That could work, but it would probably be better to just make a chassis slightly wider on both sides. For some reason I think it would freak me out having an uneven chassis for tuning (looking to see if it's scraping and stuff).

-Korey
Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Initiate

I believe Specialized R/C is working on a lipo conversion kit that will work with the original chassis configuration.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SSUPERSTARR
I believe Specialized R/C is working on a lipo conversion kit that will work with the original chassis configuration.
I thought LiPo was just for bashers? Isn't SRC a "racing" company?

Nah, I'm just kidding, that's pretty cool. I barely laugh at all when I see everybody running brushless, and now LiPo. I'm not bitter at all about all the shit I got in the past. Now I need a new trend to latch on to. It's kind of like being a fan of a band before anybody has heard of them. Except those guys are douche bags... crap, wait...
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I thought LiPo was just for bashers? Isn't SRC a "racing" company?

Nah, I'm just kidding, that's pretty cool. I barely laugh at all when I see everybody running brushless, and now LiPo. I'm not bitter at all about all the shit I got in the past. Now I need a new trend to latch on to. It's kind of like being a fan of a band before anybody has heard of them. Except those guys are douche bags... crap, wait...
Your next quest...How about some decent rubber to run all this high tech equipment on???

Still (BL and lipo basher) Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.