R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #1021
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

I got to run my Phi on foams for the first time and all I can say is wow. This car is so easy to drive its not even funny. Even without running foams for like 9 months I was up to speed in no time. Brad's setup worked perfect with just a minor change in shock oil when the bite came up.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #1022
Tech Adept

Hi All..

I see there is a ceramic kit from corally for the phi, are ceramic bearings worth it, are you going to see any difference?

Thanks Ya`All
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #1023
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
What you can try is take some medium or thick ca... and put a little bit on the threads of the diff half. Make sure you wipe any excess off with a towel, and let it dry before you put the diff nut on again. All you are looking for to put a really really light coating of ca glue to make the threads a little tighter on the nuts.

Mark Panye, the 1/12 guy that does all of those cool little how to build stuff on his blog does that on his corally sp12x, and it's to make the diff nut hold on better. It's a very similar design concept on the rdx phi diff. So if you want some pics of how it's done check out his web blog. Hope that helps bud.

-Korey
Hi Korey,

in our country many racers are experiencing big problems with the PHI new diff, due to the use of this car with foam tyres, 3.5 BL motors on carpet.
One is the nut loosening after few minutes of race, and the tips from Mark Payne (I visited his blog, its very interesting, thank you!) are helpful, I am going to try them immediately.

But do you think there are some more tips? Which balls / grease combination would you recommend? Some special part made by someone in the USA?
And what about eliminating the o-rings between the diff halves and the steel rings?

We are really suffering for the diff, just the only problem in a beautiful car!

Thanks,
Eddi.
EddiRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #1024
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm using the Tamiya "Anti-Wear" grease on the thrust bearing. It's really thick Silver diff grease.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #1025
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Eddi,
I had similar issues with the diffs running 19t foam on carpet.I switched over to Team Kwiks diff lube and black grease for thrust plus I used blue loctite on the threaded shaft side of diff one drop let it cure for about half hour after putting together like that haven't had problem again. Here is link to lubes http://www.teamkwik.com/index.php?cPath=24
hope this helps
Kenny

Last edited by Kenny L; 10-29-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #1026
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to CraigX

Corally has released an upgraded diff for the PHI which has a finer thread, which they say will prevent the diff from loosening.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #1027
Tech Elite

After using the blue lock tight my diff it has not loosed up- but that out doors.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #1028
Tech Fanatic

RDX Phi Lightweight Diff Output Shaft / M7 Nut upgraded - #79690A - #79694A:
The newly upgraded RDX Phi Lightweight Diff Output Shaft (#79692A) has a finer thread which prevents the diff from getting loose and offers finer adjustments. These new outputshafts have to be used in combination with the also newly upgraded M7 Diff nut (#79694A). Also, these upgraded parts are including in the new Diff set (#79690A) and Diff rebuild kit (#79693A).Part#
Item:

79690A LW Differential for front or rear (excluding pulley) Fine thread Duraluminium
79692A LW Diff Output Shaft, Long Fine thread Duraluminium
79693A Diff Rebuild Kit incl. diff nut Fine thread (1 pc.)
79694A M7 Diff nut 9 mm hex Fine thread (1 pc.)

tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #1029
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddiRossi View Post
Hi Korey,

in our country many racers are experiencing big problems with the PHI new diff, due to the use of this car with foam tyres, 3.5 BL motors on carpet.
One is the nut loosening after few minutes of race, and the tips from Mark Payne (I visited his blog, its very interesting, thank you!) are helpful, I am going to try them immediately.

But do you think there are some more tips? Which balls / grease combination would you recommend? Some special part made by someone in the USA?
And what about eliminating the o-rings between the diff halves and the steel rings?

We are really suffering for the diff, just the only problem in a beautiful car!

Thanks,
Eddi.
I just got back on the team here in the US so I'm a little out of the loop, but it sounds like we run into the same issue here when we run on carpet with foam tires. I would look into the new revised diff output shaft/half that people have mentioned here. I havent had any personal experience with it yet, but usually when Corally releases a revised part it's for a reason!

As for diff grease/balls, It sort of depends what type of racing you are doing. I prefer the ceramic diff balls that Corally makes, but I hear some of the modified drivers prefer Carbide instead. Probably because it doesnt make the diff feel as "free" and they grip the diff rings a little bit better preventing slippage, at the cost of more maintinence.

Diff Grease... The Corally Diff lube is really good actually, just use it sparingly. I personally prefer Schumacher diff lube, it doesnt fling off and break down as easy as most other diff lubes. Associated Silicone Diff lube works really good as well. Those are my top 3 picks for diff lube. For the thrust bearings, Corally has a black grease, which is similar to Associated or Much More racing black grease. They all work equally well.

-Korey
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #1030
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

This is the setup that I finished with at da Gayte. Car was just way to easy to drive fast!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Johnny Gate.pdf (251.5 KB, 258 views)
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #1031
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Default oh johnny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
This is the setup that I finished with at da Gayte. Car was just way to easy to drive fast!
johnny - awesome runs all weekend. keep up the good work. i want to see you up there in cleveland as well. congrats on laying down the total sweetness upon so many.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #1032
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03
Default Go, Johnny Go, Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
johnny - awesome runs all weekend. keep up the good work. i want to see you up there in cleveland as well. congrats on laying down the total sweetness upon so many.
WORD!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #1033
Tech Initiate

Hi All,

thanks a lot for your kind answers, tips and suggestions to solve the diff nut problem !!

I will keep them in mind to assemble my diffs at their best .

I am also happy that Corally felt the same problem and released some upgraded parts, this is really what all drivers may want from the Factory!
Can' t wait for those...

The Phi is a great car and the Team is the best one !

Again, thank you!!

Eddi.
EddiRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #1034
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
It sucked though with me and Brad being 9th and 10th after the 2nd lap. It was an awesome weekend though at an awesome track. Thanks again guys.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #1035
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all.. It is awesome to see how the PHI is doing so great on the track... I am going to try and get on here every couple of days and do my best to help out anyone who might have any questions regarding the car... I will do my best ...

So if there are any questions ask away....

The diff issue is a known issue and hopefully they have fixed it with the new parts you have seen on here...

Mike Blackstock