R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #3241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D Donuts View Post
are you guys running the lipo tray with your car? i currently run the orion 3800mah 30c pack and it just squeeks in under the top deck. i kind of wanted to keep it so that the battery was right under there so it didn't throw off the suspension geometry but..i might have to. could you list some of the packs you use?
I have been using the tray with either the SMC5000 or TP5000 packs for a year. Both packs nicely balance out the car; but, can make it a tad slower on response...Not an issue for me.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:26 AM   #3242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBrushRacing View Post
Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply but I want the cheapest option to get the car running again. If I can get back on the pace after a 18 month layoff I will invest some more money.

Tony
you have to change 2 parts on the original diff
buy the sp12x us diff nut thrust washer (75926) and do away with the thrust bearing

and change one of the 1/4 x 3/8 bearings to a flanged one..(bearing has to be placed in the diff flange side facing towards adjusting nut so it doesnt fall out so it works in the same way as the o8 diff)

thats it mate hope this helps

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #3243
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)
Default high traction carpet & rubber tire

im new to tourning car, just started racing a phi 09. the set up that im running is working very well for my abilities, however at the end of the strt going into the big sweeper my car is rolling over alot. i raised the ride height but still happening. where should i start??? stiffer springs,shock fluid, sway bars?

thanks jayro
Horsham 2009/2010
CRUSH GRAPHIXS---CUSTOM VINYL LETTERING,ANY SIZE,ANY TIME.....
Jerzy JayRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #3244
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzy JayRO View Post
im new to tourning car, just started racing a phi 09. the set up that im running is working very well for my abilities, however at the end of the strt going into the big sweeper my car is rolling over alot. i raised the ride height but still happening. where should i start??? stiffer springs,shock fluid, sway bars?

thanks jayro
What ride height did you have and what did you raise it to?

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #3245
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:

thanks jayro
Post up your set up and we will go from there
Old 10-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #3246
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)

thanks for your help.... a local racer has offered to help me, but in conversation it seems that i have to raise the roll centers. well see this weekend
Horsham 2009/2010
CRUSH GRAPHIXS---CUSTOM VINYL LETTERING,ANY SIZE,ANY TIME.....
Jerzy JayRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #3247
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I have been using the tray with either the SMC5000 or TP5000 packs for a year. Both packs nicely balance out the car; but, can make it a tad slower on response...Not an issue for me.

Bill
is it a noticable difference? i have a high speed chicane at my track and its my favorite area to gain ground because the car is so agile
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 AM   #3248
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

thanks jayro
Did you get the car new or used from someone? Are you running foam or rubber tires and what compounds are you using? If you built it new and read the directions that came with the kit, I find it hard to believe that you are traction rolling with low roll centers!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #3249
Tech Champion

I recently picked up a used 08 Phi from a friend and I was curious...has anyone made an aftermarket that angles the battery mount slots like the LiPo tray does for this chassis? Our track has banked turns so it takes quite a beating on the transitions so I'm thinking ahead to when I'll need to replace it.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #3250
Tech Master

Anyone have a LIPO tray they want to sell? Please PM me.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #3251
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrad View Post
Anyone have a LIPO tray they want to sell? Please PM me.
If your looking for the specialized rc one that fits the PHI, Pm me. I have one. thanks

l MOMO USA l OZ Racing l Willwood Brakes | Dunlop Tires |

The Raceway at Beaver: Forever In Blue Jeans
Mark506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #3252
Tech Master

Anyone else have a LIPO tray to sell?
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #3253
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have the opposite problem as above, I can't get enough turn in on my Phi. Usually I would adjust the ackerman but this car just doesn't have enough.

I have the stock caster (6 I believe, sorry I don't primarily run this car) and I'm using shortest low rc for the upper front and both white shims are set to make the car as short as possible. the rear is set to the middle hole on the hub and the lowest outside hole on the tower. shock setup seems to be inside on the rear and outside on the front uppers. I'm using the softest spring in front from the black kit, and the 2nd softest in the rear with unknown oil. 1.3 sway bar on the front, no sway bar on the back (which should actually go back on now that I read that but our track went from no traction to decent recently)

Can I drill another hole for the ackerman farther forward or do any of you have some different advice? I thought about the 3 degree caster option as well.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #3254
Tech Fanatic

sit your front shocks down, and put your backs up a bit. i run 1 set softer springs in the front than the rear (black spring set) and i do not have any sway bars... the RC is set to the middle spot, i believe and i too have 6* caster blocks.

one quick question, the 5 hardness arms would be the most forgiving of the bunch correct? i'm running the supplied 35s that i was given with the car, though i have broken 4 so far this season..im looking for something to make it a bit more durable
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #3255
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D Donuts View Post
sit your front shocks down, and put your backs up a bit. i run 1 set softer springs in the front than the rear (black spring set) and i do not have any sway bars... the RC is set to the middle spot, i believe and i too have 6* caster blocks.

one quick question, the 5 hardness arms would be the most forgiving of the bunch correct? i'm running the supplied 35s that i was given with the car, though i have broken 4 so far this season..im looking for something to make it a bit more durable
You will have too much flex with the 5 arms. The PHI is a very good car, but if you knock it it's usually an A-arm that breaks. Better that then a more expensive part. I use the 80 A-arms and only with a bad knock they break. Sometimes you just hit that sweet spot and crack it breaks. I have raced other cars in the past and have broken many parts... so far the PHI is most economical.
LRP TC SXX, LRP SXX Ver. 2, LRP X12 Octa, Futaba 3PKS Spektrum Module, Protform.
SOUTH AFRICA :)
PHI/BMI racer is offline   Reply With Quote