R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #2401
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Josh is your car working better on greens or blues ??
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #2402
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
Josh is your car working better on greens or blues ??
It seems to work well on both

Or were you looking for some inside info on the new tires???
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #2403
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
Thats what I thought!!!

So are you enjoying rubber tire racing???

Did you help give syndrome his beatdown last week?
Pretty much if you had a car and showed up you helped with that
Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #2404
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
Thats what I thought!!!

So are you enjoying rubber tire racing???

Did you help give syndrome his beatdown last week?

I have had no choice lately, since foams died locally... and rubber tires is equal to drifting 101, ready to run on more traction and try that

And the beatdown to Syndrome as Smoke said if you showed up with a car you helped with the beatdown
Awesomatix USA, AVID, Serpent USA / Desoto Racing, Team Scream, LRP, Psycho Cells Racing, Sweep Racing, T.Q. Wire, Hurricane Motorsports, Core Creations, Hobbytown USA of K.C., 2mm Design and ProLevel
BSYDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #2405
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Here's a few of those parts I mentioned earlier.

Front Bumper:
The current bumper seems to be a hair too thick and beveled in such a way that when the car rolls over in hard cornering, it seems to scrape the ground to an extent. When this piece touches the ground, it prevents the car from fully using the suspension of the car. In worst cases, the dragging or scraping of the front bumper on carpet or pavement may result in loss of traction or a push, slowing you down. My unit is made of a thinner material which is also lighter and stiffer than the stock piece. The bevels have been placed in such a way that the ground clearance has been greatly improved and results in no drag/scraping...thus giving you complete suspension articulation.
(forgot it at work, will have pic tomorrow!)

Rear Body Post Plate:
The dreaded body tuck that comes from being rear ended can now be eliminated with this piece. Wide enough to protect the rear wheels and body during rear impacts.

Foam Bumper Plate:
No more having to replace the flimsy and expensive stock unit, my part will hold up to any condition.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #2406
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

i was having problems with the kydex bending the ends awhile ago, turns out i had the stock bumper on and not the hard specialized one so the kydex was taking alot of the force from the crash instead of the bumper, once i but the super hard bumper on the kydex is still looking like new.

how are you getting the kydex to rub on the ground? what ride height?

you can fix rear end body tucks with body posts really easily, or with a 3mm body, or just go fast enough you don't get rear ended

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #2407
Tech Elite

5mm droop and 5mm chassis height front and rear.

I've only driven my car a few times and haven't had body tuck issues....ever But a few guys at my track mentioned it so I made something to prevent it without having to get a new body or change any existing locations or parts.

The Kydex is mainly getting bent through the run-ins with corner dots more than anything else. There's a few tracks around here that use corner dots and if you take it too tight or whatever, on occasion, it gets wedged in there, bending the bumper.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #2408
Tech Adept

The dots are there to be avoided. I have the hard bumper and the kydex plate and have had no issues either. I would assume you are just offering another option to the Specialized RC Bumperz product. I'm not saying that what you have wont work or is a bad idea. I just dont think it will be any better than whats out there now!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #2409
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
5mm droop and 5mm chassis height front and rear.
Holy Droop batman! Is that uptravel? That'd partially explain why you're touching the ground with it.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #2410
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
Holy Droop batman! Is that uptravel? That'd partially explain why you're touching the ground with it.
I was going to coment on that also, but there is another thread concerning that....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #2411
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Nothing went right in KC. :-( Now I have no ammo to talk trash until I redeem myself.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #2412
Tech Elite

again, I"M not having problems. I have literally only driven my car all of one time...I just got it. I'm purely commenting on those who race at my track who have asked me to make this or that. I dont know the first thing about TC chassis setup, I'm an off-roader making the move to on-road so i have a lot to learn yet. I just built the car and threw 5mm all around....

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #2413
Tech Adept

Default phi

can someone tell me how much grams of weight to add to a lipo 3250 and 3800 lipo please.
imber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #2414
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imber View Post
can someone tell me how much grams of weight to add to a lipo 3250 and 3800 lipo please.
I had three differently sized stainless steel weights made to go on the outer side of my Orion 3600 lipos a few months ago. Tested all three bars and came up with the ultimate sized solution which I had machined up last week.

With a Novak 13.5 motor, it turns out that a 3/4" high x 4" long x 3/8" thick stainless bar weighs 140 grams (exactly 5 ounces). Obviously a 4" long bar is not as long as the pack. I Shoe Goo the bar to the rear outside of the pack with it extending beyond the rear by 1/2". This position more or less is intended to balance the rear half of the car opposite the heavy BL motor. I don't place any more weight opposite the servo (which is already lighter than that portion of the lipo battery pack). I consider the weight of the pack as being in thirds...being front/middle/rear...which are basically 75 grams each (75/75/75=225 grams for an Orion 3600 lipo).

That in combination with 28-42 grams located just ahead of the servo (depends on the weight of the servo you use ) and using most of the standard Corally 8 gram weights (6-8 of them) gets the 6-cell car to 1,525 grams with nearly equal weight on all four corners.

For club racing, car can be balanced nicely side-to-side at all four corners without any of the Corally 8 gram weights in place. Car will be about 48-64 grams light that way.

Oh, I use all titanium screws and other lightweight components that make me have to add a few extra grams of ballast.

Note: I know that Orion's new 3800 lipo is 230 grams (just 5 grams more than their 3600). Never bothered with the 3250 lipo pack.

Still looking into having something made up with tungsten that is 140 grams...It's a challenge getting the correct sized stock.

Hope that helps.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #2415
Tech Adept

I have used the info that stillbill has posted earlier and agree totally. But, I took a little bit different approach. These cars are supposed to be balanced with no weight added with nimh batteries. Tell me if I'm wrong! So, if nimh bateries weigh 75gr each, that puts us at 450gr with no wire and connector. So in my opinion you would want to make the lipo uniformly heavier in the same place where the nimh batteries would be. My trick was to use chassis plates and I made a brace that was fitted to my lipo which does 2 things. 1st) locks the lipo in place which eliminates the need for straping with tape. 2nd) gives me an alternate surface to attach weight to. I don't like the idea of attatching directly to the battery, incase you ever need to exchange the battery for some reason. I can buy a new lipo and put it right in my car with no worries. In my opinion, what I made is pretty good solution to a lipo option vs. changing the chassis for future kits. (Corally, can you here me?)

If anybody wants to see it, you need to come Vegas next month and I'll glady show you. (Corally?) Oh yeah, I'm not sponsored either...

Anyways "imber", I hope what Still Bill and I have said helps...