R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #2131
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow guys slow down ..... Jeez...

First off ... We knew when we were going out there with this tire combo that are car pushed it's brains out. This happens in carpet as well. But for the stock and 19t drivers this makes a perfect car. Now for the mod guys this sometimes is challenging to make the car turn the way we need for are speeds. Since there was only two drivers in invite this was tough. Since i race ZERO rubber tires , this made it even more challenging. But i think if we had a day or two more of practice with 15 -20 set's of new tires to practice then i think we could get there..

I am not sold on the short wheel base setup. I did run it yes. But only because of so limited practice and it did make the car turn better but it also made the car drive way more difficult and i lost some on power traction as well.

As for changing the setup. Well i must admit i might have been going a bit overboard at times. But i did manage to win one race and could have won another , Witch i think is amazing :-) I changed everything from roll centers to springs to wheel base , camber links , ackerman settings, shock oil etc.. I did learn a lot and most of the changes that i thought felt better on the track only to come back and look at lap times to see that they were either slower or the same :-( .. There was one change that both me chris thought was better and made are lap times faster . That was ackerman we made extensions on the steering knuckles of about two more holes lower then the stock ones..

Mike
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #2132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Damn, you stop posting for a few days and all hell breaks loose.......

Guys, thanks for all the props but let's try and keep this thread productive. Josh is just trying to help everyone get their cars better, no reason to flame him. That kind of crap may go on at other TOP-level sedan teams, but there's no reason for it to happen here.

Josh- Thanks for the tips, i'll give them a shot next time i'm on asphalt. Also thanks for not losing your sense of humor when everyone else is ganging up on you.

Blackstock-got a pic of the ackerman extention? What did it do to the handling of the car vs. the standard knuckle holes?

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #2133
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Doot! View Post
Your problem is that you ONLY race on the rug..

Sure you won a couple of races but "who" was there?

And rubber tire on carpet is the "offical" sandbagger class at any Big race..

I guess if you got game come on out the the Nats and get smoked by the West coast ..

Ya Dig....
If only an east coast carpet guy hadn't just handed the west coast its collective ass at RRoC... on asphalt.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #2134
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
So lets get this straight..............You showed up at a national race with your baseline setup............made a few changes during practice and then proceded to leave your setup the same for these 60 deg track temp changes during racing? And you did this with a crappy losi car?

Well thats just crazy..........you must have been in the c-main or even d-main with a crazy game plan like that. I think I need to see where this L. Fairtrace guy finished...............let me go check liverc.com

OK i'm back from liverc and I found out the craziest thing......this L Fairtrace guy did pretty good, in fact it looks like he dominated the "A" main

So I guess the bottom line here is don't go overboard with changes and dial yourself out. But what the hell do I know.....i'm not a west coast superstar........because we all know if it doesn't happen on the west coast it didn't really happen.
OK, maybe with all the other posts, mine may have come across negative, but it wasn't meant to be. My point is that the car was pushing and some of us felt we needed to make some big changes in order to be competitive. Your suggestions on set up sound good, but with the changing track conditions some times things worked, then when it changed often that same (or close) set up would be way off later. You are right, maybe we went (ok I'll say "I" since I don't want to answer for others) too far chasing, but I felt with the tires and track I needed all the help I could get. I think I was close, but timing on set ups for each round was off. It was weird, cause things that worked at our own track even with the handout tires testing were working good, but when the qualifying rounds started it was like starting all over again. Oh, well.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #2135
Tech Elite

Quote:

I guess if you got game come on out the the Nats and get smoked by the West coast ..

Ya Dig....
Wow.

Last edited by edseb; 06-02-2008 at 12:26 PM.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #2136
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:

Ya Dig....
Clueless

Let's see you race on high traction carpet with rubber or even better yet, foam tires and see how you do. Being able to make the right changes and make the most of them, no matter what you're racing on, is the mark of a good driver. It's all the same people...having a good baseline setup and tuning for changing conditions appropriately. From what I'm seeing here, it seems like Larry figured something out none of our team was able to...that or he just had a better place to start with since it's a bit cooler on the east cost...

It's quite amazing that all Josh is trying to do is help, and gets blasted for being good at what he does. Unbelieveable.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #2137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock View Post
Wow guys slow down ..... Jeez...

First off ... We knew when we were going out there with this tire combo that are car pushed it's brains out. This happens in carpet as well. But for the stock and 19t drivers this makes a perfect car. Now for the mod guys this sometimes is challenging to make the car turn the way we need for are speeds. Since there was only two drivers in invite this was tough. Since i race ZERO rubber tires , this made it even more challenging. But i think if we had a day or two more of practice with 15 -20 set's of new tires to practice then i think we could get there..

I am not sold on the short wheel base setup. I did run it yes. But only because of so limited practice and it did make the car turn better but it also made the car drive way more difficult and i lost some on power traction as well.

As for changing the setup. Well i must admit i might have been going a bit overboard at times. But i did manage to win one race and could have won another , Witch i think is amazing :-) I changed everything from roll centers to springs to wheel base , camber links , ackerman settings, shock oil etc.. I did learn a lot and most of the changes that i thought felt better on the track only to come back and look at lap times to see that they were either slower or the same :-( .. There was one change that both me chris thought was better and made are lap times faster . That was ackerman we made extensions on the steering knuckles of about two more holes lower then the stock ones..

Mike
Mike, do you have a picture of the ackerman mod?
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #2138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
Mike, do you have a picture of the ackerman mod?
From Carl's Reedy pics (thanks Carl)....

http://edseb.smugmug.com/gallery/505...03761896_bc43x

Go to the 3x original size and you get a pretty good shot of the mod.
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #2139
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck View Post
From Carl's Reedy pics (thanks Carl)....

http://edseb.smugmug.com/gallery/505...03761896_bc43x

Go to the 3x original size and you get a pretty good shot of the mod.
Awesome, that's exactly what i was looking for. Thanks James and thanks Carl for the great pics
Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #2140
Tech Elite

btw - do you know if Corally has any plans to make extensions for the car?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #2141
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well, on a positive note, there is no lack of passion in the team.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #2142
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to CraigX

Are these ackerman extensions any different than running the ackerman piece that Cyrul makes? Looks to be pushing the steering links in the same direction to achieve the same angle but differently. Seems when changing that mounting point you would be changing more than just ackerman.

And another thing from the pics....Robbie ran a direct drive Assassin?!? That's awesome.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #2143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

Ya Dig....
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #2144
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
If only an east coast carpet guy hadn't just handed the west coast its collective ass at RRoC... on asphalt.
Read it, learn it, love it
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #2145
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

4 of the top 5 in the 13.5 class at the reedy race (qual order) were in the A main at the ROAR nats.. Take that how ever you want..