R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #2116
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,519
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Well you set yourself up by prefacing your first response as "Im not trying to be a dick" and proceeded to sound like one.Then you dispense with the pleasantries and basically tell everyone they are wrong and you know everything even though you were not there.Is it any wonder these other guys chimed in,in James defense just because? Btw James you did a great job with what you had.I doubt this guy could have did any better.Oh I forgot he won 13.5 at the carpet nats.He must know everything.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
God forbid a team guy tries to point you in the right direction..........I sat down for 2 hours and talked to an invite driver about track conditions and setup changes. Everything I posted applies to those conditions.


I can tell you none of the invite guys went crazy on springs (certainly not 8 lbs change)Why is that........do they not know what they are doing???

Corally collectively got their ass's kicked at this race............is it because the car is no good..........hell no, its won everywhere else.................its because nobody nailed the setup.


Take my advice for what it is..........ADVICE............if you don't want to listen thats fine with me..............but do not try and tell me I don't know what i'm talking about, I did my research before posting
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #2117
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I still blame the inserts in the handout tires for making the setups so elusive.

Yes, the narrow front end was a good call. After widening my Phi's front end, I did lose some steering; but, the car was very good that way on the one Sat night qualifier. Go figure.

Still learned a lot about the car...And how shock oils affect the handling...following both James' and Josh's leads.

And we do have the Speedworld Cup Race in July to give it another go. Hopefully, on another tire/insert/wheel combo because it will likely be blazing hot.

FYI...Used the entire SW setup on RP36 premount tires yesterday at NorCal and the car was good. Ended up with 55/40 wt shock oil and 75-100% rebound for the conditions by the end of testing.

Bill
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #2118
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I also noted that Tos didn't use the servo posts and had his JR servo glued to his chassis plate. He said it was "superglued" in place. Is that the correct glue to use for that? Is there any chassis prep to do that?

I am asking because I did buy one of the JR super servos. Unfortunately, using the standard mounts, the servo saver greatly conflicts with the top deck. Didn't want to modify the deck to accommodate the servo saver.

FYI...Tos doesn't use a servo saver. Has a straight arm.

Bill
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #2119
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Well you set yourself up by prefacing your first response as "Im not trying to be a dick" and proceeded to sound like one.Then you dispense with the pleasantries and basically tell everyone they are wrong and you know everything even though you were not there.Is it any wonder these other guys chimed in,in James defense just because? Btw James you did a great job with what you had.I doubt this guy could have did any better.Oh I forgot he won 13.5 at the carpet nats.He must know everything.
Hey, YOU don't even own a Corally. Go play with the Schumie guys...LOL

We know they can both wheel a car because they both have Carpet Nats credentials. A little disagreement about setups just gives me more things to try.
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.

Last edited by Still Bill; 06-01-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #2120
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadazofa View Post
Hi guys i am new to on road and have just bought a second hand but new phi eu spec.

I will be running this on carpet though.
should i get the chassis stiffner and the thicker top deck to run on carpet?

dont want to go though all the pages so i was wondering what would be a good starting setup for carpet. I have all diff options for the front, Diff, oneway, spool.

foam or rubber tyres?

general setup: camber, caster, shocks etc etc.

thanks in advance

peter
Peter,

Check out Josh's two rubber tire setups for carpet that he posted on this thread on 3/18/08. Just page back to them.

I have yet to see anyone use the chassis stiffener for any rubber setups. Assume that it is more for carpet foam guys.

It is worthwhile to skim through this whole string for Phi setup information. Just start at the beginning and be selective about what posts are worth your attention.

Bill
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #2121
Tech Elite
 
edseb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 2,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
God forbid a team guy tries to point you in the right direction..........I sat down for 2 hours and talked to an invite driver about track conditions and setup changes. Everything I posted applies to those conditions.


I can tell you none of the invite guys went crazy on springs (certainly not 8 lbs change)Why is that........do they not know what they are doing???

Corally collectively got their ass's kicked at this race............is it because the car is no good..........hell no, its won everywhere else.................its because nobody nailed the setup.


Take my advice for what it is..........ADVICE............if you don't want to listen thats fine with me..............but do not try and tell me I don't know what i'm talking about, I did my research before posting
Point taken. I think a lot of us went to the race with a lot of confidence and ideas similar to what you talked about and the ideas went out the window and our timing was off when the track changed so much. You are wrong about the invite guys too, many were struggling, not just the corally guys and Toso was trying spring changes and seeing what we were doing too. We were all struggling, even other teams- those who adapted at the right time did better. Hara went out to practice with 2 cars with diff set ups on diff cars he swapped to get a feel. 8 lb change was not that uncommon at this race (yeah somewhere else where the track was more stable that would have been crazy to try)- what was uncommon was how much the track changed and we went to some drastic measures. 60 degree swing in track temp alone (120f- 60f). Believe me, I shot most of the cars in the pits, and guys were throwing all sorts of ideas at their cars. I think most drivers in the event ran a different set up every run, those who nailed it came out better.
__________________
RC Car Action Editor and Photographer
Carl Hyndman
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #2122
Tech Elite
 
ottoman's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 2,761
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Hey Josh.... I think its time you came back to XRay... these Corally guys seem to think your stu... uh... uninformed
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #2123
Tech Champion
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,237
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
Hey Josh.... I think its time you came back to XRay... these Corally guys seem to think your stu... uh... uninformed
Ottoman,

I see you're still up to the same old tricks of the Losi days...Now THAT car could frustrate.
__________________
Constantly evolving CRC WGT and WGT-R/T...Carpet & Asphalt...All thanks to Team CRC.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #2124
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

I didn't change my car one bit after the 8th round of practice. It was exactly the same all through the actual race. Its not a Corally its just a crappy Losi though so take it for what its worth. I also ran a similar setup to what I have run on other tracks. Just a few changes.

PS. James your car looked good.
__________________
Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - RocheUSA - MonTech - Sanwa - BSR Racing Tires - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #2125
Tech Elite
 
ottoman's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 2,761
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Ottoman,

I see you're still up to the same old tricks of the Losi days...Now THAT car could frustrate.
Naw... just sticking up for my boy

I really want him back running XRay... he was a BIG help to us when we ran a Corally. To have him and Lemieux at our home track helping with setups would be great

I just dont see him getting much respect from his fellow Corally guys and that seems strange to me
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #2126
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,769
Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I didn't change my car one bit after the 8th round of practice. It was exactly the same all through the actual race. Its not a Corally its just a crappy Losi though so take it for what its worth. I also ran a similar setup to what I have run on other tracks. Just a few changes.

PS. James your car looked good.
So lets get this straight..............You showed up at a national race with your baseline setup............made a few changes during practice and then proceded to leave your setup the same for these 60 deg track temp changes during racing? And you did this with a crappy losi car?

Well thats just crazy..........you must have been in the c-main or even d-main with a crazy game plan like that. I think I need to see where this L. Fairtrace guy finished...............let me go check liverc.com







OK i'm back from liverc and I found out the craziest thing......this L Fairtrace guy did pretty good, in fact it looks like he dominated the "A" main

So I guess the bottom line here is don't go overboard with changes and dial yourself out. But what the hell do I know.....i'm not a west coast superstar........because we all know if it doesn't happen on the west coast it didn't really happen.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #2127
Tech Elite
 
DavidAlford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,151
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford
Default

__________________
Hot Bodies/HPI | Jconcepts | Viper RC | Xpert | Sippel Speed Shop | Lawton RC Raceway | SXT
DavidAlford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #2128
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
So lets get this straight..............You showed up at a national race with your baseline setup............made a few changes during practice and then proceded to leave your setup the same for these 60 deg track temp changes during racing? And you did this with a crappy losi car?

Well thats just crazy..........you must have been in the c-main or even d-main with a crazy game plan like that. I think I need to see where this L. Fairtrace guy finished...............let me go check liverc.com







OK i'm back from liverc and I found out the craziest thing......this L Fairtrace guy did pretty good, in fact it looks like he dominated the "A" main

So I guess the bottom line here is don't go overboard with changes and dial yourself out. But what the hell do I know.....i'm not a west coast superstar........because we all know if it doesn't happen on the west coast it didn't really happen.
Your problem is that you ONLY race on the rug..

Sure you won a couple of races but "who" was there?

And rubber tire on carpet is the "offical" sandbagger class at any Big race..

I guess if you got game come on out the the Nats and get smoked by the West coast ..

Ya Dig....
Yo Doot! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #2129
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,519
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Doot! View Post
Your problem is that you ONLY race on the rug..

Sure you won a couple of races but "who" was there?

And rubber tire on carpet is the "offical" sandbagger class at any Big race..

I guess if you got game come on out the the Nats and get smoked by the West coast ..

Ya Dig....
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #2130
Tech Elite
 
RBLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Wow. I would definitely not call Josh H a sandbagger by any means. He was in the mains when he ran foams and is in the mains when he runs rubber. I guess EJ Evans and Jason Ertrachter are slouches? There were quite a few heavy hitters in the main at the carpet nationals.

Give the guy a break. He is out here every day trying to help people with their set up.

Don't sweat it Josh.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
team corally rdx phi A.Galenski R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 05-28-2008 06:22 PM
Team Corally RDX TWISTED Australia For Sale/Trade 7 02-05-2007 04:34 PM
Team Corally RDX Bear55 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-10-2006 03:18 PM
Team Corally Assassin 1449 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-20-2003 11:27 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:28 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net