R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #2086
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
James had to go to a stiffer setup for the tires... The sorex 36R premounts are a little odd... they always seem to make the car push. The inserts in them are really lame haha.

I've been running the rear arms up front with narrow knuckles, narrow hexs all around, and running the optional mounting hole in the rear arm for the hub carrier for a while now. It basically lengthens the suspension arms and creates more mechanical grip.

-Korey

Are you shimming the front out to get it 190 or just running it narrow?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #2087
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

with rear arms up front, narrow knuckles, narrow hexes, and no shims on the couplers, the car gets to be around 188-189mm which is fine.
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #2088
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just run it narrow... it really wasn't that narrow anyway. I think mine was at 188mm???? I can't remember off the top of my head.

-Korey
Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #2089
Tech Champion

Gyah... James is gonna do all the work now... LMAO
Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #2090
Tech Master

Yeah that sounds about right.. With the wide hex's on the front mine measures about 189 I believe. I have one shim to give it arm sweep.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #2091
Tech Master

Try it with the narrow hexes. Getting the kingpin in line with the inside edge of the tire helps on asphalt.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #2092
Tech Master

As for the rear I don't have the rear hubs that are used for the out hole.. I assume it would still be wise to run narrow hex's back there? I'm a complete noob with this asphalt stuff ... Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #2093
Tech Master

I tried the two hole hubs in the back with the hinge pin in the ouside hole, it made the car push. I moved the hinge pin to the inner hole, which is essentially the same as running the stock hubs, with narrow hexes.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #2094
Tech Master

Hey James! Just a quick congrats on Reedy. Granted, I made comments the whole time about how you are the product of mating between Latino's and Hobits, questioned why you were not riding a donkey and many other comments... But I picked you every time to win and thought you made some OUTSTANDING moves on the track. Good luck and see you in Vegas!
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #2095
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Hey James! Just a quick congrats on Reedy. Granted, I made comments the whole time about how you are the product of mating between Latino's and Hobits, questioned why you were not riding a donkey and many other comments... But I picked you every time to win and thought you made some OUTSTANDING moves on the track. Good luck and see you in Vegas!
I'm sure that he doesn't mind that as much as having announced over the intercom that the INS is waiting to greet him at the door of the airliner...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #2096
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys... I got to try so many things at the reedy race it made me silly... My biggest problem was the car would not turn . The longer front arms or (rear) did help some . But overall i ended up going back to the stock front arms to get my width to 186mm in the front. The REAR arms on the front i could only get the car to be 187-188..Even though the rear arms did turn a little better .I found the regular arms narrowed up turned better...

Super Short wheel base.. I was torn pretty much between the two.. I thought the short wheel was twitchy and harder to drive and felt like the cars forward bite was not very good.

Longer wheel base felt good and was not very twitchy and very easy to drive vs very short. But i could not get the same lap times and only had 2 more practices left so i went back to the super short for the race...

Overall.. I feel like these setup changes could be better but need some time to test them. I felt like the longer wheel base could have been better if i would have spent more time with it trying to get steering another way.

My major problem all week was on power traction... and low speed steering.. I had a couple of runs that were promising. My finish is kinda worse then where i should have been. I had some rough heats not of my own doing that cost me alot of points...

Mike
Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #2097
Tech Elite

Yeah, we were all struggling with steering. I chose to run the standard arms up front with the narrow steering and just widen at the hinge pin. You'll notice I went really stiff to free up the back end (22 lbs, copper sway bar) and it was getting pretty good in practice. Then of course it rained the morning of qualifying and my car was out to lunch. Here is where I was after practice and my car was completely different by the time qualifying was over. James did a much better job of driving and adapting his car to the conditions. I think if the conditions stayed the same as practice, I could have made a better showing ("could have" is always a wish list, ha ha).
Attached Files
File Type: txt Carl practice reedy.txt (1.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #2098
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb View Post
Yeah, we were all struggling with steering. I chose to run the standard arms up front with the narrow steering and just widen at the hinge pin. You'll notice I went really stiff to free up the back end (22 lbs, copper sway bar) and it was getting pretty good in practice. Then of course it rained the morning of qualifying and my car was out to lunch. Here is where I was after practice and my car was completely different by the time qualifying was over. James did a much better job of driving and adapting his car to the conditions. I think if the conditions stayed the same as practice, I could have made a better showing ("could have" is always a wish list, ha ha).
Oops, sorry guess that format doesn't work so hot.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #2099
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I'm not trying to be a dick..............but you guys are way off on your spring choices. There is no need to run the same rear springs as a foam setup.

Rubber tire is all about weight transfer..........front and rear........and side to side. Springs that stiff and swaybars will do nothing buy keep the back end flat and maybe let the tires slide........but I guarantee sliding an asphalt car is not the best way around the track.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #2100
Tech Master

how come not trying to sound like being a dick always makes you sound like a dick?

I know nothing, I'm just a little ol' club racer with no asphalt time.....
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote