Wiki Posts
Search

Setup Systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Setup Systems

I just got a used hudy board & yokomo setup blocks. I dont have an owners' manual and i havent used one of these setup tools before.

1. which do i have to setup first? ride height, camber, toe-in, etc.? im worried that if i set toe-in first, it may affect the other measurements. or is that not the case? also, which side do you do first, the front or back, the right or left? does it matter?

2. do i have to put a motor & batteries on the car to use the setup system? i know that in ride height, i have to prep the car as ready to run. but what about when setting camber, toein, etc?

3. how do i compensate for slop? for example, i want to set the toe-in at 1 degree but even when new, the steering knuckles wiggle a bit. do i set it at 1.5 degrees, hoping it will go back to 1 degree when running the car?

thanks for any info
Old 02-23-2003, 03:13 AM
Tech Regular

if it were me i would always use the setup system with batteries in my car, if they are not in there, no load on the springs, and there for the dynamic (or actual camber whne runing) is not correct, however as long as you were consistent when doing it, i dont htink it would matter.

as for the slop, consistency would be the main thing. ie always set it up wheels at max toe out due to slop..

keep in mind.. would u taste the bees dick of difference it will make? lol i wouldnt

Rob Storey
Old 02-23-2003, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

I would always do it with batts, motors etc. mounted.

Always start with ride right, as this might affect camber, toe and down travel.

Set the ride hight for both ends, before doing anything else.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Setup Systems

Originally posted by marvi
I just got a used hudy board & yokomo setup blocks. I dont have an owners' manual and i havent used one of these setup tools before.

1. which do i have to setup first? ride height, camber, toe-in, etc.? im worried that if i set toe-in first, it may affect the other measurements. or is that not the case? also, which side do you do first, the front or back, the right or left? does it matter?

2. do i have to put a motor & batteries on the car to use the setup system? i know that in ride height, i have to prep the car as ready to run. but what about when setting camber, toein, etc?

3. how do i compensate for slop? for example, i want to set the toe-in at 1 degree but even when new, the steering knuckles wiggle a bit. do i set it at 1.5 degrees, hoping it will go back to 1 degree when running the car?

thanks for any info
The big problem you have is the slop. You need to eliminate as much as possible so that when you put your car on the setup system, you won't have inconsistent numbers.

Setup your car in this order:
1) Droop. Adjust droop according to manufacturers suggested starting point.
2) Race ready car. Install batteries, motor, tires etc. just like you were about to set it on the track, but leave the body off.
3) Ride height. Set front and rear ride heights by adjusting the pre-loads on the shocks.
4) Place car on set-up system (ie Hudy, Integy). Remove tires and bolt on the blocks.
5) Camber. Set camber according to manufacturers suggested starting point.
6) Toe. Set toe-in or out according to manufacturers suggested starting point.
7) Tweak. Place car on tweak station and follow the manufacturers procedure to zero the bubble.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

thanks for the replies
Old 02-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

1. ALWAYS make all adjustments with full weight in the car.
2. If you have some slop, try to adjust to the center of the slop - we all have SOME slop. . .it's what we get for using plastic stuff!