R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #46
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
I got into this hobby in September. I bought one manufacturer's top of the line touring car for $340. It didn't take me long to realize this car had serious design faults. Every time I worked on it I had to work around or through these faults. Beyond my issues with the car itself, it quickly became obvious that this car wasn't the fastest. I didn't figure this out by driving it, I figured it out from observing the world of touring cars.

I sold it and bought a pair of T2'007's. A lot of you read that and think 'just another newbie throwing money at the latest and greatest to beat the veterans.' I know some of you are thinking that because of the replies in this thread and the other seven just like this one. But that isn't the reason. I bought the latest and greatest because, for just $60 more, I have a car that has been wonderfully designed. That's something I realize every time I work on the car. Easily worth $60.

Some of you think that a manufacturer releasing a better car at $400 is bad for this sport. Personally, I love it. I'm benefiting from it. I would benefit even more if every manufacturer came out with a car this good. And so would you. When is spending big money on a car bad? When you quickly realize the car isn't worth it. The 007 is worth it, for now.

When will it no longer be worth it? When something just as good is available for less money, or something better for the same. So where is the competition with the cars that are just as good for less money? That's the question you guys should be asking. Either it isn't possible to build a car just as good for less money, or they simply aren't doing it.

It isn't about spending the most money. It's about having the most fun. Building, working on, and driving a marvelously designed car is fun. Doing the same with a poorly designed car is not.

-Adam
this may hurt a bit but if you go back to when xray released the freedom of choice car,it had pretty much all of the same manufacturing costs as the latest and greatest 007 but was sold for under 300 bucks.this is the part that baffles me.where is the 100 + dollars coming from?this to me is what is hurting the TC market.its not just one company.all of the latest TC's are 400+ dollars where you can get into different forms of the hobby for much less.1/8th buggy seems to be where everyone seems to go where you can get into a buggy RTR for 300 bucks.1/12th seems to be the escape for the onroad diehards.just my .02
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I'd have returned the favor and made sure to call his sponsors and tell them what a wonderful person they have as a spokeman and that yu intend to tell all your friends...

I come from a profession that you are held to a higher standard and expected to hold sourself better than the average person. If you want to be a sponsored driver you better be on your best behavior.
He is sponsered by the same folks manufactures of one of my cars. He is also owner of a respected company in R/C.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heh, whoa, that made me think twice. It's good to hear that we aren't too bad. At times during a race day I realize that I'm definitely neglecting the social aspect to concentrate on my cars (there's a lot to do to keep two cars running four races each in a 4 hour period). I do put the cars first, but always want to be a little more social and welcoming to our spectators. I definitely have room for improvement ;>

I hope we can get you out racing. I think 1/12th scale is the answer for a lot of guys. It's a lot cheaper, a lot harder to break, and the cars are basically the same speed. They drive pretty much the same line, and when I put a few laps on one I was surprised at how it wasn't drastically different. Plus, 8 minute races.

Or if you want to go touring car, the Xray T2R is a very attractive choice at half the price of a 007. I'm sticking with touring cars because I really like the complexity and vast number of setup options. For people more interested in just racing on a budget, 1/12th really seems to me like the way to go.

BTW, at all the racing I've done this fall, I've only broken two front arms and one C-hub.

-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
He is sponsered by the same folks manufactures of one of my cars. He is also owner of a respected company in R/C.
All the reason not to buy those products ever again....

I've had my own personal boycots for some time... I used to love Ben & Jerry's Ice cream till I found out Ben Cohen gave money to a cop killers defense campaign. That's just one of many.... There are many products I won't buy and my reasons may sound absurd to many, but they are my reasons... Hehe...
Old 12-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Today I went tc racing for the first time in about 7 months, and I had a great time. And what's more, I did'nt see anyone not having a good time, even if they weren't running as well as they had liked to. And I mean everyone, from the fastest stock tc and 1/12 scale guys to the novices, all ages. So what's wrong with tc racing? I don't know, but there isn't anything wrong with it here

G's R/C: offroad in southcentral PA
BS Racing -- I'm full of it!
Beeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #51
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
The outside world has no clue what they are watching... We should possibly have a TC, GT2 and GT1 class with clear distinctions between the cars, not just stock, 19 and Mod all running the same blob on top....
- I like it, even TCS (taxi-cabs) all look the same , just like Nascar. In Europe, some clubs started running a Porsche 911 body on their Serpent 935s. There has to be something more than everyone running a Stratus body (who roadraces a Stratus?) or whatever body happens to be "hot". I personally like when the 200mm gas guys run the "old school" can-am look, but there will be many who slay "blah" to that also....some variety is needed...................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
this may hurt a bit but if you go back to when xray released the freedom of choice car,it had pretty much all of the same manufacturing costs as the latest and greatest 007 but was sold for under 300 bucks.this is the part that baffles me.where is the 100 + dollars coming from?this to me is what is hurting the TC market.its not just one company.all of the latest TC's are 400+ dollars where you can get into different forms of the hobby for much less.1/8th buggy seems to be where everyone seems to go where you can get into a buggy RTR for 300 bucks.1/12th seems to be the escape for the onroad diehards.just my .02
The $100 pays for the huge number of sponsored drivers. Just my guess, of course.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #53
Tech Lord

hmm,is that a good thing?now we are starting to see what the problem is.i dont know about you but that kinda burns me up inside.bragging about wins at the consumers expense.pretty hard to lose when 9 of the top 10 drivers run the car and the consumer pays for it.it seems like we are paying for ego boosts instead of quality products.i think it will end when people wont take the price hikes for no apparent reason.there is no need to pay out to as many top drivers as you can possibly take on and pass the cost on to the consumer.im sure theres many other reasons but i agree that this is one of the bigger ones.
J Concepts
Old 12-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #54
Tech Master

From what I'm seeing, it is a good thing for XRAY. Is it a good thing for me? For the health of the sport? There isn't a simple answer to those questions.

Quote:
hmm,is that a good thing?
-Nietzsche
Old 12-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
hmm,is that a good thing?now we are starting to see what the problem is.i dont know about you but that kinda burns me up inside.bragging about wins at the consumers expense.pretty hard to lose when 9 of the top 10 drivers run the car and the consumer pays for it.it seems like we are paying for ego boosts instead of quality products.i think it will end when people wont take the price hikes for no apparent reason.there is no need to pay out to as many top drivers as you can possibly take on and pass the cost on to the consumer.im sure theres many other reasons but i agree that this is one of the bigger ones.
we`ve got a UKimporter overe here in 27/19t sponsering around 40 drivers in one -way or another all in 27/19t classes to go out & win ,loads of these very fast/top drivers should not be in there atall & just slaughter the poor newbies every time they hit the track

that`a like you jason buying the support of the top 10 27t racers then going out filling up the top finals all the time spouting of `my stuff is the best` coz i`ve got 7 of my racers in the top A blah blah ,basically that UK tuner is buying results by buying drivers

this is in 27t/19t class

i will say one thing about the UK mod guy`s top 15-20 of them , thye are not arse`s in way or another ,thye know what they are sponsered for & it`s not just racing on the track

there will be one or two special drivers that come along ,but it`s not them to keep the hobby going, it`s the others that do struggle to sort left from right & fast from slow ,just seems a few meets last year didn`t have the time of day for them

this is why i proberly don`t listen to a TOP 27/19t drivers spouting off about something in the hobby coz more then likley they have a hidden aganda to push it on & i`ll bet it involves them selfish comes to mind
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Interesting when you consider the pricing on the TC3 and TC4. The majority of the parts on that car are injection molded which is much more expensive than machined parts.
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #57
Tech Lord

actually,if you look at the cost of the molded part itself,it is much cheaper than a machined parts.the high cost is the molds.in order to absorb the cost of the molds you need to do a high volume of parts.if the volume is not high enough then it will no be cost effective to use molded parts.in the case of the TC3 and 4,the volume was definately there and wound up working out great for them.another thing to take into consideration is that alot of these companies have there molds made in china.lets say over here a mold for an AE chassis would cost about $70,000,you can get the same mold made in china for about $8-10.now you make 8,000 chassis and the cost of the mold is about a buck per chassis.include the material and and molding cost and your at about $3.50-4.00.that is MUCH cheaper than any machined chassis you can buy.like i said though,you are correct for smaller volume work.
J Concepts
Old 12-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #58
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
From what I'm seeing, it is a good thing for XRAY. Is it a good thing for me? For the health of the sport? There isn't a simple answer to those questions.
its a good thing for the company not the consumer.alot of people look at what to buy by what is winning.when all of the best guys run for 1 company,they will win.all of the people will flock to this 1 car thinking it is best.now how is the company going to pay for all of these top dogs,you guessed it,by inflated prices on there products.they need to absorb there costs,i dont blame them for that.my question is,is it worth it to have a team that large,is it worth it to take on alot of saleries that exceed the profits on the kits that sell from having them run the car.all of these costs on top of making the kits drives the price up and will drive people to a more reasonably price end of the hobby or new hobby all together.all of the teams out there used to have top dogs on the team.i have never in all the time i have been racing RC seen so many top guys on 1 team.
J Concepts
Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
its a good thing for the company not the consumer.alot of people look at what to buy by what is winning.when all of the best guys run for 1 company,they will win.all of the people will flock to this 1 car thinking it is best.now how is the company going to pay for all of these top dogs,you guessed it,by inflated prices on there products.they need to absorb there costs,i dont blame them for that.my question is,is it worth it to have a team that large,is it worth it to take on alot of saleries that exceed the profits on the kits that sell from having them run the car.all of these costs on top of making the kits drives the price up and will drive people to a more reasonably price end of the hobby or new hobby all together.all of the teams out there used to have top dogs on the team.i have never in all the time i have been racing RC seen so many top guys on 1 team.
Agreed the Punters will pay for it in the long run or short run if it` s xray

xray do have another car coming over 300.00 it is also with thse conversion kits coming in aswell

either xray will fail or other car company`s will say we can`t compete with this ,well stop making cars
i`d rather xray fail in there attempt for global domination

this is turning into a hard in your face post`s with out getting really bitchy
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #60
Tech Lord

yeah,it is turning into a company bash post.i dont mean to bash anyone.im just pointing out that it needs to return to a fun hobby and not a cut throat one.car prices need to drop.i hate going racing and having a spectator coming up to me with alot of interest,asking questions and then shying away when i tell them how much it costs.we need more new people in the hobby.the majority of the new racers will be young kids with fixed budgets.we will not see them in TC if this keeps up.
J Concepts