R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 AM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
when was the last time you raced at a track????????????????????????????????
the end is near when people turn more laps on their keyboard then on the track

I quit racing a LONG time ago...I don't even have a car.

Just felt like stirring up a hornets nest. Looks like some folks got their panties in a bunch too...

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 AM   #62
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr
Cant we all just race belt sanders?
With 800grit spec sand-belts or we may go "open - modified"?
Lokanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #63
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
It's time to kill off touring for good. Go buy a 12th-scaler and stop feeding greedy companies by buying a new TC every .5 years...

Seriously though, with all the threads about declining interest...people quitting, etc. It does sound like TC is on the decline. Much like 1/10th Pancar in the late 80's early 90's.

Perhaps it's time for a similar change???
I'm sure someone else already said this on the thread, but you don't need to feel pressured to by a new TC every time a new one comes out. Heck, I'm still using an FK'05 and it works just fine for me. Companies that release cars in a quick amount of time do that to encourage profit growth... But the truth is, that in many cases you don't get all that much benefit from the newer design.

Oh and if you are one that travels to big races like Cleveland IIC and Snowbirds, well then your into the hobby and chances are you have the money and don't mind spending it every time something new comes out...
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:55 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr
Cant we all just race belt sanders?
Belt sanders are slow...LAWN TRACTORS ROCK! If you don't race a lawn tractor then you're just playing with TOY CARS.

LMAO...I was at the track last spring thinking how silly it is for grown men to play with toy cars. Then I noticed in a field near there a bunch of grown men on lawn tractors running on what looked like an autocross track (in the grass of course). I felt MUCH better about racing my toy cars.

...but I guess even lawnmower racing is having trouble attracting new racers. Video games are killing all the cool hobbies.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #65
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Nick_Malinoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuber
I'm sure someone else already said this on the thread, but you don't need to feel pressured to by a new TC every time a new one comes out. Heck, I'm still using an FK'05 and it works just fine for me. Companies that release cars in a quick amount of time do that to encourage profit growth... But the truth is, that in many cases you don't get all that much benefit from the newer design.

Oh and if you are one that travels to big races like Cleveland IIC and Snowbirds, well then your into the hobby and chances are you have the money and don't mind spending it every time something new comes out...
FK'05: 90 Laps
TC3: 92 Laps

LOL!!!!

Nick
Nick_Malinoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

dude, i would so race a lawn tractor if it werre available to me.... that would be the only racing i would ever do in an oval....

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #67
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to rush evo dude Send a message via Yahoo to rush evo dude

yes, true, the nitro cars are probably getting more popular, but that doesn't stop me! i have a nitro too but i'm still gonna go on with my little project
rush evo dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
...but I guess even lawnmower racing is having trouble attracting new racers. Video games are killing all the cool hobbies.
[IMG]

<---7 time USLMRA national champion.
United States Lawn Mower Racing Association

Lawn mower racing is alive and well. I helped write, and re-write a lot of rules for this sport.

That's me, below.

The guy on the cover of the X-box game is a good freind of mine, Bobby Cleveland from Locust Grove, Georgia. Bobby went down to Bonneville this last summer and set a land speed record on the salt.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-30-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
Tech Addict

A long time ago when there was lawnmower racing on the TV I told an ex-girlfriend of mine they still had the blades in and that if they crashed they could lose a limb, as soon as a guy clipped a hay bail she freaked LOL!

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #70
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got into this hobby to fulfill my Walter Mitty racing fantasies. I thought the idea, at least partially was to mimic full size racing. The weekend race is just the end result of the preparation. Motor tuning, battery maintenance, car setups/maintenance, and practice are all part of that preparation. But it seems to me that it is becoming more about instant gratification. No one wants to sit and experiment with brushes, springs, and armature prep to get the most out of their motors. The idea now is to bolt a brushless into your car only to be removed when the bolts break because of rust. No muss no fuss. Instead of investing the time on developing a setup that works for them on their current car they abandon it in favor of the car of the month and slap on the reigning champion’s setup with idea that it is going to raise them out of the pits to set the track record. Since I have owned Xray back to the original T1, I can say that for an average club racer the difference between a T1FOC and a T2’007 is probably 10-15 seconds over a 5min race with 9.5-10second laps. So if the track’s best are turning 30-31 laps in 5min and you are in the 25-27 lap range a brand spanking new T2’007 won’t get you there. Neither will the latest “team” batteries. The actual average voltage difference between a mid range 3800 pack and a top 4200 is lees than .05 of a volt over a 6 cell pack, just .1 of a volt over the last of the 3300s. That difference is down the tubes with a couple of turns taken too wide, or a slam into the wall, not to mention being marshalled. That is difference not going to raise anyone out of the “B” main to fighting for the lead in the “A”.
The difference in voltage and a new car can be made up simply by practicing. Running laps. That boring, repetitious, and slow process we all MUST do to get better. A thoughtful practice with lap time goals will pay more dividends than getting a car and batteries from Paul Lemieux himself. If you have a FK’05 and practiced and dropped your lap times by just a half second you have just realize the advantage a T2’007 with “world” batteries would have done for you. And saved about $650. This is not an easy hobby. It has a steep learning curve. And that curve can not be cheated by throwing money at it. Simply because the guy holding the transmitter is the weakest link. If a person does not have the time to give to the hobby then they need to adjust their expectations. You HAVE to prepare your car. You HAVE to maintain your motors. You HAVE to practice.
Lastly we need to stop blaming the car and battery manufacturers for coming out with new products before the old ones are worn out. If there wasn’t a market there wouldn’t be a product. If Xray didn’t think they could sell the T2’007 just 8 months after introducing the T2 they would not have released it. Same with the battery people. They supply a demand. No company is in business NOT to make money. We are the demand. We influence the market and the hobby every time we pull out our wallets. We need to take the responsibility, whether it is keeping our wallets closed, to admitting we don’t practice at the track, to actually voting when ROAR puts something out to the membership.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_ntc3
gas is a bit cheaper because once you buy a kit there are no upgrades that are 'necessary' to buy just to keep up. also
-fuel is cheap $10 per litre
-foams are $10 a pair
-for the same entry fee you get more race time (5min heats +20min finals = lots of racing)
-an engine will last a year to 3 years before having the internals changed.

as with anything, the faster you want to go the more money you throw at it! the difference with gas is that you don't have to have top end gear to keep up and have fun!
- Fuel is $25-$35 a gallon here and on a race weekend I've burned as much as half a gallon. At 1 race a month that's with practice and play time that's easily a gallon of fuel a month or $300-$420 a year which easily equals or exceeds my yearly battery budget.

- Foams are the same cost in electric or nitro and typically nitro wears them out faster

- More race time great! However that also means more wear and tear and tires wear out even faster.

- For people who are unconcerned by the motor of the week craze that's true a motor/engine will last you some time. However the people who change motors and batteries often in electric will change engines in nitro just as much.

Cost wise it's a wash for me...about the same both ways at competitive levels...I race both but fun wise I prefer my electrics over my nitros. I enjoy the better more precise handling in electric so I can think less about controlling my car and more about driving a good line. Also I really hate cleaning up my nitro cars at the end of the day.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #72
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Impulse_racer
Well technically a lot of the people that do bolt in a brushless for "instant gratification" are doing it because it frees them up to spend more time on their setup and running practice laps. And quite possibly having more fun because they spend less time doing maintenance and more time driving and tweaking. I guess it depends on why you race RC - for me it was more important to drive the cars with the kids than sitting at a workbench with a lathe.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Why do people say that 1/12th car, which is basically a 20 year old design, built from about 20 parts total, yet still retails at over 200$, is cheap?
(I must admit it´s fun though and you don't need many parts to last the season. Also having just 4 cells in the cars has made them easier to drive and cheaper to run.)

Batteries are lot cheaper today than they were 10 years ago. And that's in number of dollars. If you take into account how much the value of the USA dollar has dropped during the Bush administration, you could say that the price of cells has more than halved in the last ten years. At the same time the capacity has more than doubled and voltage risen considerably.

I'm racing X-Ray FK05 I bought used and I've been using 3300 MAh cells. It's not the equipment that's holding me back it's my driving skills.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Soviet!! i Got it i know the answer

that opening line
`The End Is Near` sid vicous & the sex pistol`s it`s on the track `My Way`

yes yes yes what do i win then com`on
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Go Micro TC. Everything is cheaper and can be just as fast.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote