R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Sure hope TC doesn't die off. If it does, then the monster truck will be given more attention again.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15

Last edited by F. Mendoza; 11-29-2006 at 09:04 AM.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
Capable of winning,but un-welcome.Around here it has been made quite clear that you better not show up with an outdated car.They have gotten it into their heads that if you don't have all new stuff then you are stealing from the hobby shop.And that's not just from the guys behind the counter-it's from the racers themselves.Suggest a budget class(to boost volume)and every hobby shop employee in town has a spasm.

Europeans race in the rain,and on polished wood floors-american racers won't give up their tire sauce.

The biggest threat to the sucess of on-road racing........is on-road racers.

Sorry to hear that. The shop I work and race at is experiencing a slight decline in racing this year. Although it is picking up lately, we are starting a tamiya mini cooper spec class. Bone stock except for bearings. We understand the need to get people in to the hobby and keep them.
People show up and see $1000 worth of equipment and are overwhelmed with what is involved.
Getting them in for inexpensive spec racing, they can make the decision whether they want to go to the next level of racing.

The point is to make it fun without spending $$$.

Also the owner of the shop and club president has offered free weekly racing for the month of December. A nice gesture on their part.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
It's time to kill off touring for good. Go buy a 12th-scaler and stop feeding greedy companies by buying a new TC every .5 years...
i agree. hobbist like me who doesnt have the money to buy new car at the time of release since im waiting for it to go down.then when the time comes that i have the money and the car price is already low, they now start to introduce new car. .. i think the only one that hasnt released a new car is the yokomo bd. and still kicking ass the only problem is only masami and masami alike know how to take it to the extreme mere mortals like me have problems with that car.. 12 scales on my state FL is growing strong.... now if only i can drive one.
jinkasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

People need to stop blaming the reason why they lose is because someone else has a newer car then them. It's really irritating to see someone say such an ignorant comment. If people would realize that it's THEIR driving that sucks and NOT their car then everything would be better.

I will agree a newer car (made within the last 8 years is still competitive...I think the TC3 came out in '98?).will help (that's a long time span).

I used to race with 2 year old packs at the Novak Race and local series races and still managed to make A-mains. I'm not saying I'm the god of r/c racing but it goes to show that less then top of the line equipment is still competitive.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For the blind out there,

the next big thing is:
BIKES
Victor Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkman
Sorry to hear that. The shop I work and race at is experiencing a slight decline in racing this year. Although it is picking up lately, we are starting a tamiya mini cooper spec class. Bone stock except for bearings. We understand the need to get people in to the hobby and keep them.
People show up and see $1000 worth of equipment and are overwhelmed with what is involved.
Getting them in for inexpensive spec racing, they can make the decision whether they want to go to the next level of racing.

The point is to make it fun without spending $$$.

Also the owner of the shop and club president has offered free weekly racing for the month of December. A nice gesture on their part.
I had 1000.00 plus in equipment in 1989. Now it could be 10 of thousands. you don't have to spend a ton of money to win. What you really need is driving skill.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We need to start a campaign reminding people that they don't need the newest cars to be competitive. Not even close. I bet you Paul Lemieux could have won Cleveland this past weekend with a T2'007, T2, FK05 or FK04. Those four cars are so close, it's hard to say for sure which one is truly better.

How's this for a slogan?

DON'T BLAME THE CAR, YOU ARE THE SUCK

I'd also like to take a moment to remind people that brushless and LiPo greatly ease the barrier of entry into the hobby. If you can't afford to race, then find another hobby. But don't cry about the cost if you're making poor buying decisions, and think you need mountains of crap to be competitive.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Vector
For the blind out there,

the next big thing is:
BIKES
I wish.... I'm the only one I know with a 5th scale, one of my friends just bought an HOR, I may just have to pull mine out of the closet....
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

pull starts are for weedeaters..

Soviet: nice thread. I suppose you feel good about this.
Lou Decruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Default Its Choice

People buy the latest because they CHOOSE to. And the shrinking upgrade cycle for chassis is a GOOD thing. When the XRAY T2 came out, I waited about 6 months then picked up a NIB FK'05 kit for about HALF the price. No way is that "OLD" FK'05 holding me back.

The RDX is a great car but guess what, Friday night I got spanked by a kid running a very out-of-fashion Assassin, and he seemed to be doing just fine, and, more importantly, having fun.

MIKE
MadMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
DON'T BLAME THE CAR, YOU ARE THE SUCK
Quote of the day right there lol. That burned off some of my 4cell agression lol.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #27
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

My two favorite types of RC to watch are 1/8-scale off-road and 1/10-scale mod touring. While there are plenty of other good classes to race (e.g. 1/12-scale, my personal favorite to drive), I firmly believe that it's those first two that have the greatest potential of "wowing" your average Joe who has never seen an RC car before.

If you've seen the world's best drive 1/8 at a national event at a track like Hemet (a.k.a. "the track formerly known as The Dirt") you'll know what I'm talking about.

Likewise, if you've seen the world's best drive sedan at a national event like the Reedy Race, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I love a lot of the other classes too, but I don't see how eliminating touring from the national scene--not that it would ever happen--would accomplish much of anything. Obviously the class is in a serious state of flux right now with the EFRA and other rulings (heck, 4-cell has been big in Japan for some time), but that doesn't mean it's going to die. How many times has a major ruling caused a stir in Formula 1? People run around and cry out "the sky is falling!" and then they suck it up, go on with the racing, and two years later it's a distant memory.

Four years from now we'll probably all be running 2-cell LiPo packs with a 45 oz. weight limit, and the debate will still be raging.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal
Four years from now we'll probably all be running 2-cell LiPo packs with a 45 oz. weight limit, and the debate will still be raging.
It sounds like there's the possibility of 5V LiPo cells. The future could hold lower voltage, single cell cars with featherweight batteries that have 10,000 mAh. That could be interesting. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #29
Tech Regular

I wish the price of rubber tires would go down, 38 bucks for RP30 premounted
plus 15 bucks to race. thats 53 bucks just to get on the track.
mugenracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #30
Tech Adept

in 12 months

IB3600
IB3800
IB4200
IB4200UHV
IB4200UHV WC

to race at big meets you need to best, or your not going to be competitive. especially since not many race mod around here. its all stock.

i havent seen many youger racers here, unfortunatly i think the hobby is going to slowly die, due to not enough young blood coming into the hobby.

these days theres lots more optins for kids to do, mainly internet gaming and playstation etc
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote