R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default How far ahead of practice / race day can I charge? (NIMH)

So I am getting back into R/C and NIMH is new to me.

I want to be able to charge my packs before race or practice day so that I am not wasting time waiting for packs at the track.

I read you can not charge a NIMH the night before you plan to use it?

What do you guys do?
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The best way to do it is to get your pack to finish charging right before you use it. This will give you the most power and runtime. I finished charging a pack about a half hour before a heat once and dumped 3:30 into the run with a 19 turn.

You might try charging the packs half way and then charge the rest of the way at the track and see how that works for you.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Tech Elite

For club racing you can get away with charging the night before. Competitive meetings need charging on the day.

Anything longer than a days rest and the cells start to feel really soft in the car, sometimes I put a pack in that has been left since the last meeting and it feels like it has dumped! NiMH's self discharge at something like 5-10% a week.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
The best way to do it is to get your pack to finish charging right before you use it. This will give you the most power and runtime. I finished charging a pack about a half hour before a heat once and dumped 3:30 into the run with a 19 turn.

You might try charging the packs half way and then charge the rest of the way at the track and see how that works for you.

30 minutes off a charger caused you to dump with a 19t... I doubt the battery was the cause unless you false peaked. Either that - or your batteries are due for a replacement.

I know quite a few guys that charge a couple hours before a race and just peak their packs 10 minutes before they go up ... I did this at Cleveland this year and never had any issues with power/runtime.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I charge them up the night before. I then use them for practice, discharge and tray them... Let them cool and them charg up again for the qualifiers and main. The packs seem to have more punch on their 2nd charge for the day....
Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Club racing shouldn't matter too much. You can charge the night before. But its best to repeak just before your qualifier. Sometimes I'm on a busy schedule and do this for club racing (I'm the one every body knows as the one who gets to the track just before the 1st qualifier starts ). I've even had a pack charged for a week and just repeaked at the track and set TQ or fastest lap. However, I will say there's nothing like a freshly charged pack that peaks just when your qualifier is getting ready to start!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would just charge it the night before and then peak it the next day. Another question, would it be okay to charge the battery and then let it sit for a WEEK, then peak it on race day?
rematch batteries
RCpurplecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Read above post...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
Tech Adept

just buy 2 chargers.

if you got 2 going you shouldnt have to wait more than 15 minutes for a pack to charge...
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Thanks guys!

So I will charge the night before and repeak but I understand that my pack will have more punch/energy if I run it immediately after charging so I will consider that for my race packs.

a second charger is definately a good idea!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #11
B3x
Tech Adept

I charge my packs the day before, and several times during practice.

I use LIPOS! for practice.

I keep the good NIMH for race days, so they are charged only before racing.

You may seriousely want to consider lipos for practice. It will simplify your life as far as maintenance.
B3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3x

You may seriousely want to consider lipos for practice. It will simplify your life as far as maintenance.
That's an interesting approach - my only concern would be how the weight of the pack effects the handling of the car. If you are practicing and getting used to a LIPO pack in the car - and then you put a NiMH in, would the weight difference not make the car handle differently?

What has been your experience B3x?
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
That's an interesting approach - my only concern would be how the weight of the pack effects the handling of the car. If you are practicing and getting used to a LIPO pack in the car - and then you put a NiMH in, would the weight difference not make the car handle differently?

What has been your experience B3x?

Add to that the Lipo's relative lack of drop-off and greater voltage! Wouldn't you get a car that handles and drives completely differently?

On the other-hand. Moving to a faster car and racing with a slow one does help with creating a fast line and training reflexes..

Interesting theory!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Lipo is very interesting but would be very expensive for me right now.

especially just after buying 5 NIMH packs and motors and an esc.. heh..
Old 11-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
B3x
Tech Adept

Well

I put some weight under the lipo to get it to the NIMH weight. Again the reason I use Lipos is because of the lack of maintenance and the constant readiness. I think it is just plain easier to use the Lipos for practice. You are pretty much always ready.
B3x is offline   Reply With Quote