R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Turning Radius with a spool

After changing to a spool , the turning radius will increase due to lack of diff action, is there a tweak, that can help offset that? I run my T2 007 EU on an asphalt track that has a pretty tight infield section. I had been running a front diff because of that. But after upgrading my rotor in my brushless motor I finally got brakes . Unfortuanately, once I apply brakes, the car almost always pulls to the right. This exact same thing happens on my friends T2 with similar setup. I installed the spool and the car now brakes straight and true, however I sacrificed turn radius .

so, anyway, there is the whole story. any suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Associated SC10 4X4, Tekin RX8, Tekin SCX4 -5.5
Kyosho Ultima SC-R, Tekin RS Pro, Tekin 10.5
Lon_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite

You'll never get the slow speed turning circle back, all you can do is adjust the setup so the rear of the car slides a bit more in turns if you are carrying speed.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

i noticed while driving a spool, the corners need to be taken differently. you need to get off the throttle earlier to help weight transfer to get back the intial bite. you need to get back on throttle sooner to help pull the car through the corners. it also helps if the rear end is a little "looser" this helps the car rotate b/c the rear wants to come around and pivot on the front tires.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies guys. I will continue to try and adjust my driving style . The only other solution is go back to using the front diff, but then I have to turn the brakes way way down, or the car pulls under braking.

thanks again
Associated SC10 4X4, Tekin RX8, Tekin SCX4 -5.5
Kyosho Ultima SC-R, Tekin RS Pro, Tekin 10.5
Lon_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Pull right under braking? - Got tweak?!

Otherwise - you have to be fairly enthusiastic when you using a spool. I usually use a one-way and prefer a smoother flowing driving style. Lots of rolling on/off throttle and practically no brakes.

But when you drive a spool, it's much more on the throttle to rorate the car, jump on the brakes at the last moment and flick the steering in. Much more "Aggressive" style is required to get the car to rotate. But you'll also need to change your setup to let the rear rotate like the others have said..

But lastly - check that tweak!.. a diff equipped car should still have fairly decent brakes!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

My tip - Run less rear droop and more caster (front) - the Idea being getting the inside rear wheel off the ground or at least unloaded (just like you do in a go-kart). I believe an even smoother style of driving is needed with a spooled diff especially if it is setup to unload the inside rear tyre.
Joly Joe Junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

how about a slightly softer spring on front then back
when you enter the corner weight will go forward better also on power situ will be even better then before

trial & error i suppose
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote