R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #76
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Also, are you seeing any advantage between brushed and brushless motors, or do they look pretty even? Do the new LRP ESC's (or motors) have thermal shutdown, and are you allowed by the rules to disable it? With the heat being so high, I'm curious to see how the new BL stuff holds up, especially if sintered rotors are allowed.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like the same BL Fischer had in his Sedan at 'Birds can't remember whose though GM?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #78
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser
Looks like the same BL Fischer had in his Sedan at 'Birds can't remember whose though GM?
I believe Fischer was running a prototype Orion which is a rebadged (possibly reprogrammed?) Genius 95. I'm not sure what motor he was running, or whether or not he had it in sensored, sensorless or hybrid mode.

The ESC in that picture appears to be one of the new LRP units. I don't know if it's the TC spec or the other one, I haven't looked into the differences yet. I'm guessing the motor is Orion, but it looks different than I remember them.

I'm also curious if there's any noticeable advantage in brushless between sensored, sensorless or a hybrid mode like the Genius 95 apparently supports. You don't hear much about the performance differences between the two aside from manufacturers trying to talk up their particular choice, and why it's better.

Last edited by syndr0me; 02-22-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #79
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Silva
Thanks Reto!! Kick Duane in the A*% for me!!!!
What happened to you two in Florida?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #80
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
What happened to you two in Florida?

When Sunday night? What time did you end up staying out?
Daryl Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #81
Tech Addict

@Daryl: will gladly do this for you, he's sitting on the other side of the table staring at me anyway while I type this... so he must deserve it...

@syndrome: car in the picture is Surikarn's HB cyclone, he's using an Orion motor with the LRP TC-Spec speedo and he's fast...
Sintered is allowed here, this is what all brushless guys are running and it's 6 cells.

As I wrote earlier, there are some fast people with brushed and brushless, most notable brushless fast guys are Surikarn and Ronald Voelker (full LRP). There are plently of LRP, Orion (pretty much all of them use LRP speedo) and also some Novak guys (Scotty, Charlie, Nicholas Lee) in use and it doesn't seem as anyone is experience thermal problems.
Haven't seen any sensorless type motors/speedos (as normal when it comes to real racing...).

We're just done with free practice now, 2 rounds of controlled coming up and it will be interesting to see these timed runs now! I try to keep you guys updated.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #82
Tech Lord

Thanks for the reply Reto. I haven't heard much about how brushless is holding up in the extreme heat now that people are using sintered rotors and a new generation of ESC's. Hopefully they do well, and put to rest some of the bad publicity BL got due to issues with thermal shutdown when using the old bonded rotors.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito
@Daryl: will gladly do this for you, he's sitting on the other side of the table staring at me anyway while I type this... so he must deserve it...

@syndrome: car in the picture is Surikarn's HB cyclone, he's using an Orion motor with the LRP TC-Spec speedo and he's fast...
Sintered is allowed here, this is what all brushless guys are running and it's 6 cells.

As I wrote earlier, there are some fast people with brushed and brushless, most notable brushless fast guys are Surikarn and Ronald Voelker (full LRP). There are plently of LRP, Orion (pretty much all of them use LRP speedo) and also some Novak guys (Scotty, Charlie, Nicholas Lee) in use and it doesn't seem as anyone is experience thermal problems.
Haven't seen any sensorless type motors/speedos (as normal when it comes to real racing...).

We're just done with free practice now, 2 rounds of controlled coming up and it will be interesting to see these timed runs now! I try to keep you guys updated.
Thanks. Just please keep us posted. So how hot is it?
Daryl Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #84
Tech Addict

@Daryl: air temperature right now is 38C (not sure what that is in your funky Fahrenheit's...) and humidity is at 41%, it was 33C/65% when we arrived at the track at 9am this morning... Talk about a sweaty pit area...
Track usually peaks around 55C during mid-day and drops off by 10-15C until the evening.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #85
Tech Master

It's not the heat..... it's the humidity....

Sure Sure. It's the heat, and the humidity. I think there are more fans on the tables in the pits then RC Cars....

Have I mentioned how great this race is yet? Food/drink/accomodations are very reasonable, almost "cheap" in fact. We need some more "yanks" to join Scotty and I next year. I'm stuck with these crazy Ozzy guys..... Can't understand half the crap they are talking to me.... Just smile and Knod.....

Jilles is constantly sweating..... hes' gone through about a dozen of the "fresh" towels they sell in the coolers. Good thing is they're only 10 baht, that's about 28cents.

Poor Hupo from the fridgeg austria doesn't even have a fan on his table.... Poor guy is using "low power" to move himself about the pits. But his smiling still.

Meen's car is well..... "mean". Looks quite good, and he's super dialed here as always.

I got to see Volker's car "streak" by mine in the infield... I should have practiced more.... .

So if my computer doesn't melt to the table I'll be back later.....
Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 AM   #86
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys out [email protected] TITC 2007,
Is anyone able to post the practise/heat result?
i think most guys will be interested in the result rather than all the senseless talk of "which make is better".
All the new generation TCs are almost identical. It boils down to the driver & dial-in of the geometry to suit the track & driver's driving style.
The best TC will still be useless in the hand of a newbie!
evirobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #87
Tech Addict

First round of controlled practice is just completed, here are the top10 of modified:

1. Atsushi Hara - 20 5:10.5
2. Meen V. - 20 5:10.6
3. Surikarn C. - 20 5:11.5
4. Hideo Kitazawa - 20 5:13.0
5. Ronald Voelker - 20 5:14.2
6. Marc Rheinard - 20 5:15.3
7. Satoshi Maezumi - 19 5:00.1
8. Shin Adachi - 19 5:00.5
9. Olli Jeffries - 19 5:01.1
10. Thomas Pumpler - 19 5:01.8
Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #88
Tech Master

Man.... Reto is "on it" with the posting. my laptop temps out at 110F......
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #89
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Charlie]....

I'm stuck with these crazy Ozzy guys..... Can't understand half the crap they are talking to me.... Just smile and Knod.....

Gee Charlie can you at least get the description right those guys are Aussies not Ozzy LOL ,and yes i pit with them all the time and just smile and nod to ...boy you are a fast learner.

wish them all the best and tell Luc not to put my car into the fence please ..... trust me he will no what you are talking about.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #90
Tech Master

The following link will most likely have a daily update from the TITC 2007

http://sudacolumn.cocolog-nifty.com/typer/
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote