Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High end radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default High end radio

Im considering getting a high end radio for christmas to replace my cheap and cheerful acoms 27mhz radio. I only use sticks and Im just wodnering whether updating to a Sanwa Gemini or Futaba 3ge or 3vc etc will be a big improvement and whether theyre faster etc
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Well worth it, you can set the servos up so they use all their throw, and adjustments like dual rate and steering/throttle curves can help dial the car in to the track and conditions.

They should have a nicer feel in the hand and on the sticks too.

Out of those I would be inclined towards the new Futaba mid-range set. It is fully synthesised so no more crystals, and seems to have almost all the functions of my old-model 3VC for a very good price.

See if you can try one in your hand first, it's quite big compared to the Acoms. I like the bigger Futaba transmitters but I am over 6ft, a thin TX like the KO Vantage gives me cramp.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks mate. Can I ask in particular about the response, would you say their is a notable feel of increased response e.g. quicker reactions from the car?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Can't say it would feel any faster in response (this whole high-response malarky is BS in my opinion, we are talking about response times in the milliseconds for radio systems, you wouldn't notice the difference). It does just feel better all round, and you should get a lot less interference than with the Acoms handset.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Got msn sosidge to discuss this?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

No, sorry I don't. Ask away on the forum. PS I should add that if your car feels unresponsive it is probably more to do with the setup or the condition of the electrics, nothing to do with the transmitter/receiver response time. But a decent radio is an upgrade that will stay with you for years to come.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks alot. Heres another one

Does throttle response get better. I notice on my acoms the throttle and steering have slight leeway as in you can feel there are patches where there isnt any response, almost like dead patches where the radio doesnt pick up the movement. Do the higher end radios have more sensitive sticks?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Higher quality components throughout.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

I take that as a yes
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

I believe that a decent radio and servo is a must, my driving improved significantly when I upgraded my radio/servo, becasue the car reacts immediately to steering input changes. I got a futaba s9451 servo which is quite fast (0.1s/60), there are quicker ones, but this is fine. The biggest improvment I have noticed is that I am able to avoid crashing by making a quick steering change. make sure if you get a digital servo that it is compatible with the radio. not all systems are compatible.

Pete
Old 11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

If you want the quickest radio out there get either a Nomadio Sensor or the new React.... They are the fastest and the only all digital radio's... I have the Sensor and I'm getting my son the React....
Old 11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I run offroad and I just got a new servo, not terribly fast (about 0.2) but I am solely a stick radio man, hate the feel of wheel radios. Any more tips or personal views
Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

get a faster servo

the reason why so many people use pistol grip radios is that you drive better with them. the reason why you drive better is that you have more dexterity and control over your index finger, compared to your thumbs.

just my thoughts...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

But dexterity is not required to go up and down and side to side. Your fingers need to do more usinga steerwheel so more effort is required and im sued to and like the feel of a stick radio. IMO, of the 2 styles none is better than the other, its preference. The americans seem to like the wheels and the europeans the sticks.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

at the end of the day its your choice, so Im not trying to convert you.
you asked for opinions, but it looks like you have made your mind up already.
I used to think the same as you until i tried a wheel radio. before you go and buy a new radio, have a go with a wheel radio, you may like it, if not, nothing is lost.

you have more control over your fingers, compared to your thumbs, which assists with making quick, accurate steering changes. instead of just going full left>full right>full left which is the way *most* stick radio drivers drive.

if you were using a neck strap to support your radio and using your fingers to move the sticks, instead of your thumbs, I would say "go for it", but it appears as though you want to continue to use your thumbs.

just my 2c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.