R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Our Hobby Needs a REAL RTR Racer

I can't help but see the recurring theme on this fourm of RC losing more and more racers every year, and let's face it Our hobby needs help.. The die hard racers seem to hang on (forever) but the bulk of us are just average weekend racers that have lost the desire to race (or date) and they are not being replaced. So amid all the ponder on this forum my simple solution is this: A Real Ready to Run 1/10 scale TC Racer kit. Not just a basher but something that can be set down on any track and be competitive! It will need to include a Brushless motor and speedo! A single Lipo battery! A DSM type Transmitter and Receiver! a pre painted body! (Mazda 6 would be ok), pre mounted tires and wheels! (CS27's of course) and the car should be something really sweet to look at! (woven graphite, alum parts, titanium screws..etc and easy to setup and tough enough to take a few really hard hits before it breaks) oh and the usual spare parts neccy if it does break hacking the boards. Oh yea.. it should be out before Christmas and sell for around $399.99. So..as you can see my solution is really quite simple. hmmm..yea..I can see the lines of people start camping out infront of your local hobby store now..
ho ho ho..Happy Holidays

Last edited by edracer1; 11-25-2006 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling..and i see why no one gets my jokes at work..
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
Tech Regular

wishful thinking!
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

I agree!!!
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:34 AM   #4
Tech Elite

That's not what the hobby needs at all. The RTR market is driven by low costs and usability. There are a limited number of 1/10th RTRs on the market at the moment, but the TC4 RTR is a great example of what an RTR should be.

I bet I could drop a TC4 RTR on the track and be within fractions of a second per lap of my usual car.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edracer1
I can't help but see the recurring theme on this fourm of RC losing more and more racers every year, and let's face it Our hobby needs help.. The die hard racers seem to hang on (forever) but the bulk of us are just average weekend racers that have lost the desire to race (or date) and they are not being replaced. So amid all the ponder on this forum my simple solution is this: A Real Ready to Run 1/10 scale TC Racer kit. Not just a basher but something that can be set down on any track and be competive! It will need to include a Brushless motor and speedo! A single Lipo battery! A DSM type Transmitter and Receiver! a pre painted body! (Mazda 6 would be ok), pre mounted tires and wheels! (CS27's of course) and the car should be something really sweet to look at! (woven graphite, alum parts, titanium screws..etc and easy to setup and tough enough to take a few really hard hits before it breaks) oh and the usual spare parts neccy if it does break hacking the boards. Oh yea.. it should be out before Christmas and sell for around $399.99. So..as you can see my solution is really quite simple. hmmm..yea..I can see the lines of people start camping out infront of your local hobby store now..
ho ho ho..Happy Holidays
One more who is believing in the fairytale that the equipment is making the winner Wakeup from your dream: it is still your driving skills what makes you a winner! Masami and all other top drivers still practices
a few hours a day to improve their skills and they are topdrivers!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I disagree to this because I don't think anyone has been able to make a competitive RTR that is highly competitive and yet also mantainance free.

If a rookie is going to learn his/her car needs to have its bearings oiled, and its screws tightened, motor lathed, diff rebuilt after the 2nd race, I suggest just getting something not RTR and grow with it.

If the car doesn't need its screws tightened, motor lathed, diff rebuilt, then there are 2 possible outcomes:
1. it is not competitive, and how could it be competitive if it has got dust and other things stuck in its drive train?
2. it is competitive, and the rest of the world does not want to buy this RTR because they enjoy tightening screws, motor lathing, and rebuilding diffs.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
but the bulk of us are just average weekend racers that have lost the desire to race (or date) and they are not being replaced. So amid all the ponder on this forum my simple solution is this: A Real Ready to Run 1/10 scale TC Racer kit. Not just a basher but something that can be set down on any track and be competitive!
RTR's cater to those who need instant gratification. They have their place, but the frustration that drives people away from competitive racing can't be fixed by a ready to run car. No matter how good the car is, if it doesn't come equipped with instant skills for its owner, the buyer WILL get defeated at the track and become frustrated.

I believe that having to build a competitive car teaches the racer about patience and putting in the time to achieve results. If the racer can't be expected to do at least that much, how can anyone expect them to be able to put in the time and effort to learn to drive competitively??

Maybe what the hobby really needs is a can of instant "SKILLZ" that you can buy and spray on your hands...
Old 11-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips

Maybe what the hobby really needs is a can of instant "SKILLZ" that you can buy and spray on your hands...

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Some of the problems I see with newbies is their lack of maturity. Guys will show up with a bunch of bling and fancy equiptment, then not know how to fix it or take care of it. Being unprepared makes for a loonng frustrating race day. Having a glitzy car or race package won't help any of that. You can't just put a state of mind or commitment in a box.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

skip it. maybe there is a point to be made here.

Last edited by edracer1; 11-25-2006 at 09:05 PM. Reason: edited post out
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I do agree that it would be nice to have a "ready to race" car on the market. The Losi XXX-s and TC4 were the closest but still a little off. Both sold for around $300 came with decent racing speedos but if you wanted to race, you immediately have to spend another $75 to replace the motor and tires. Add a JR XS3 radio instead of the low end AM radios (Losi was close), put in a good stock motor and add CS-27s or some plaid/purple foams and you've got a nice package for a beginner who is interested in racing. At the price that ASSociated is selling FTTC4's right now, this package could go for around $400-$450 and definitely be race level quality without having to replace everything in the box. There is such a large gap between RTR and Race level right now that it is discouraging to tell someone that as their skill improves they will have to spend another $1k to replace their RTR with a race package because their radio doesn't offer the adjustments they need, their chassis is .5 seconds slower around the track (no matter who's driving it) the servo is too slow and the speedo won't support a 19t motor. Maybe this is something for the Hobby shop owners to offer. 20% discount if you purchase a kit, high end speedo, servo, motor and high end radio system as a package deal.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I say if you're gonna race, you should at least buy a kit. TC RTR are for people who just want to race their car up and down the street. But if you want to race, a kit is always a better option. You learn about your car and it's fun. Buying a decked out race car as a RTR is just stupid.
rematch batteries
RCpurplecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
lol..oh man you guys ..it was just pure "tongue in cheek", sorry about that. ..maybe if I made the price $39.99 it would have been funnier.
the joke is, people are still posting after you said it was a joke...... oops even me.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Luckily I have friend that sell a real "Ready to race" Car....

Any car, electronic equipment, etc he got it fraction of a cost........

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

actually i think we need less race ready kits and more less expensive ones.. if it's building kits that is keeping folks out of the hobby, they are frankly not cut out for racing.

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote