R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I can see it getting frustrating for a new person that buys

a kit and later finds out it's a lot of up keep. Hobby stores need better clerks that point them in the right direction. Explaining to them if they are interested in racing that they should buy good equipment up front. A ready to run T2R, novak speedo, brushless 13.5, lipo, Ice charger and C27s tires are a good start. If they even mention racing this is the direction I would suggest. They don't need anything else. It's true, people are getting lazy, but what do you do? For me, it's about having the time. Work, family... I don't have 16 hours to put a kit together and paint a body. Just my two cents.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips
RTR's cater to those who need instant gratification. They have their place, but the frustration that drives people away from competitive racing can't be fixed by a ready to run car. No matter how good the car is, if it doesn't come equipped with instant skills for its owner, the buyer WILL get defeated at the track and become frustrated.

I believe that having to build a competitive car teaches the racer about patience and putting in the time to achieve results. If the racer can't be expected to do at least that much, how can anyone expect them to be able to put in the time and effort to learn to drive competitively??

Maybe what the hobby really needs is a can of instant "SKILLZ" that you can buy and spray on your hands...
I totally agree.

And to add to that, what makes this a hobby as opposed to playing with toys is that we build the cars, tune them, and work on them ourselves. If all you want to do is drive then you really don't want to be a part of this hobby. I don't know about others, but when I got into this hobby when I was younger the main attraction was that you built the car yourself. Most kids when I was that age and even more so now don't feel that way. They like instant gratification, and for that reason they are going for video games or RTR cars. Aside from the cost aspect, the reason the hobby is losing people is that people dont want to be a part of this type of hobby. Sometimes RTRs may foster an interest which leads to racing, however in my opinion 90% of the people who buy RTRs play with it for a while whether on the track or not, and then get bored with it.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
That's not what the hobby needs at all
-I totally agree. I learned quite a bit mechanically and electrically as a kid working on my own car and building them from a kit. RTR's are yet another reason kids are becoming lazy. They learn NOTHING. RTR's are the worst thing to happen to the hobby. But thats what todays generation wants. Instant gratification..................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Maybe if there were more "rookie" friendly tracks or programs, more people would get involved.... Personnaly being a bit of a rookie to racing, i dont really want to goto a track and be driving slow because of lack of experience and have guys go flying by me. id rather have the track with other newbies and have about an hour to get some time in.... im sure more people wouldnt hesitate to get into racing then.
XNXIXTXRXOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #20
Tech Champion

The problem with the lack of RACERS IMO is the fact that newwbs think its easy, they think that they can drop the car on the track and they will kick everybodys butts. After their first few track outings they learn that its not so easy, they learn it takes practice and that detailed setups are requred to compete, thats when they loose hope of winning and they quit.

I always say that if I was told today that I would never win a race, I would still race, to me its not so much about winning, its more about getting better, and is all about having fun doing something I love.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude
I always say that if I was told today that I would never win a race, I would still race, to me its not so much about winning, its more about getting better, and is all about having fun doing something I love.
Agreed
XNXIXTXRXOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edracer1
lol..oh man you guys ..it was just pure "tongue in cheek", sorry about that. ..maybe if I made the price $39.99 it would have been funnier.
You're really funny, ha ha ha ha Now go back and play with your Radio Shack car
Old 11-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
-I totally agree. I learned quite a bit mechanically and electrically as a kid working on my own car and building them from a kit. RTR's are yet another reason kids are becoming lazy. They learn NOTHING. RTR's are the worst thing to happen to the hobby. But thats what todays generation wants. Instant gratification..................
and I agree.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

All that for $399... I'd have to say its never gonna happen.

How bout this, buy all your dream equip online, have it sent to me, I build it all for 75 bucks and send you a car ready to hit the track
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #25
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

The best thing about this hobby is putting your car together yourself because it really helps a person with the mechanical part so they can fix it themselfs. For average club racing your pretty much there to have and learn the hobby as you get into it and there's alway's people to help the newbs with setup or what whatever they need, atleast buy us. So weather you have a rtr or pro car with lots $$$ stuck into it go out and race, have fun and learn.
losi guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

I started this as a funny editorial but I can see that most of you disagree with my basic premise of a RTR Racer. So I must be wrong.. Our hobby is growing everyday as hundreds show up for race day at our local tracks (satire). I mean come on, we need something that will help Grow New intrest in our hobby. And the most appealing aspect of racing RC cars is having that transmitter in your hand and controling it around the track (it's what puts a smile on your face). I mean the number one entry question I get asked by someone who just walks up with that gleam in their eye is "how much do it cost?"..And then I slam the door with real answer of around "$1000.00 for just the car and electronics." So with the tougue in cheek aside, In order to attract New people there needs to be that starting entry car that is All inclusive and actually Competitive..and there will aways be that learning curve just as anything that is this skilled based. And yes there will be an attrition rate but I don't think it would be any higher than those who builds a car from ground up. Just Pre-Build it and they will come..
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No need to slam the door my friend...

Start a tamiya stock class and you'll be fine.

Yeah - there are tuning trick to the humble Johnson silver-can motor. But I would also agree that the best equipment is not really the answer. Great equipment won't teach you to drive. In fact - high end stuff usually goes faster, handles quicker etc.. not the greatest beginner combo..

The humble tamiya sport class is one of the most popular down here because pretty much anyone can chuck a car on track and bi in the middle of the pack - fighting it out with the other cars.

That $300 dollar esc isn't enough to pull your stock car out of the pack. No hopups to buy.. it comes down to motor prep (Clean it and run it in for as long as you can..) and driver ability. Even then.. so much close action that a few bumps here or there don't adversely affect your result too much..
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote