Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Buying the winners equipment" in spec classes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default "Buying the winners equipment" in spec classes

I wonder if any racers have got any experience/feedback on the idea of allowing any racer to "buy the winners equipment" in a spec class?

I think there are some full-size motorsports where you are allowed to buy the winners engine.

The aim is to make everything a level playing field, where driver skill is more important, and wicked whispers about "dodgy motors" or "illegal parts" can be stamped out.

At the end of any given race meeting, or perhaps after several meetings, anyone will be given the opportunity to buy any spec equipment from any other racer for retail price. The equipment would be scrutineered.

So, in a spec motor class, the winner will probably always have his motor bought from him after a few races. In a spec chassis class the winning chassis will be bought.

This should discourage anyone from spending too much on equipment to find the best stuff because at the end of the day it will go to someone else, and if they have been cheating it will get found out by the scrutineer.

It may also give beginners a chance to get a well sorted car for a reasonable cost, and demonstrate that motor power is not the only thing you need to win a race. Chances are people will not go much faster with the winners motor than they would with their own.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Tech Regular

good idea in theory but who would pay retail for second hand equipment just because a fast guy won with it especially if it is spec? (therefore should be the same as yours anyway), scrutineering should be enough to put peoples minds at rest as far as cheating goes, so can't see it working some how.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ITs an idea that rarely goes over well. But since you are specifying SPEC CLASSES the only thing i could agree with is buying of the spec motor or spec battery. I would not even consider the chassis for this rule. IT pretty hard to hide a go fast cheat and it very much depends on the specifc chassis rules u may run.

In the end these type of rules only encourage more negativity at the track, and more distrust to fellow racers. And the fast guys can use the rule as a way to throw it in other peoples faces... "What you want to buy my motor? Be my guest then i can buy a fresh one with your money "
For the most part guys that call people cheaters are usually the guys that cant keep up cuz there driving skills suck. And when they make the A-main they expect to win. At the club level making the a-main could still mean your 2 laps off the pace. No amount of "tweeking" will give a 2 lap advantage between 2 equal drivers.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This is a good idea in theory, however, I have experianced many complications with this in full scale racing. Someone builds a half way decent motor, sticks it in a properly set up car with a god driver, and boom! as soon as he wins the race, everyone in the pits is after his motor. So, i doubt this would work, but hey.. maybe it'll be dif. with RC's.....
Old 11-24-2006, 07:48 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

We had that rule where I raced. It was called the Claim Rule. We ran spec motors and batteries. If you wanted someone else's stuff, you talk to the track boss and he will claim another racer's motor and or battery so he doesn't even know who claim it. But yeah, you do have to buy that racer a new motor or battery. I think it's fair to have that rule. It doesn't hurt nobody. It's more or less to shut up some cry babies that couldn't win. Theres never been any complications. I wouldn't want a chassis claim rule however.. Takes too much time to build a car right. If someone claims my car today, I probably won't be able to race for a couple weeks! People have lives you know!

Regardless of claim rule or not, if someone walked up to me with a brand new motor or battery to trade for mine, I would openly accept that anyways! And in the end, the fast guys are ALWAYS the fast guys. Thats in every class and even when we change rules, the fast guys are still the fast guys!
Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TEM your 100% correct when i look at that way, it does shut the cry babies up, and tru-dat i would love someone to walk up to me with brand new motor and battery after i win a race with used up motor and battery
Old 11-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Boosta
good idea in theory but who would pay retail for second hand equipment just because a fast guy won with it especially if it is spec? (therefore should be the same as yours anyway), scrutineering should be enough to put peoples minds at rest as far as cheating goes, so can't see it working some how.
Not a problem Boosta or anyone come close of play sunday (carpet Wars) you are more than welcome to purchase my motor for the fee of a replacement
Old 11-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Locally, Team Brood did this in the past, as many thought they were somehow cheating with their stock and 19t motors. Anyone could buy a brood motor from a brood sponsored driver and only give him the cost of the motor (raw motor).

It shut people up pretty quick, and you know what? Those who thought something funny was going on went back to losing like usual.