R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag
Closest I have seen are Novaks 13.5 and they seem to be just 1-2 tenths faster than a good tuned brushed motor...
There is no comparison between the 13.5 and brushed stock motors. Huge advantage between the two. Your a motor builder and you say just 1-2 tenths faster, thats what everyone is looking for at any race.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I think I'd agree with that assessment though. There's a guy locally who is running the 13.5. He has an advantage I think. Generally due to a broader power band on the motor. He seems to pull much harder off the corners than I can. Overall though he's really not that much faster.

There's quite a few 12th scale drivers locally that will be switching over to brushless. Within the next 2 months we'll probably go from 1 brushless 13.5 to 4 or 5.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I think I'd agree with that assessment though. There's a guy locally who is running the 13.5. He has an advantage I think. Generally due to a broader power band on the motor. He seems to pull much harder off the corners than I can. Overall though he's really not that much faster.

There's quite a few 12th scale drivers locally that will be switching over to brushless. Within the next 2 months we'll probably go from 1 brushless 13.5 to 4 or 5.
I went a full lap faster with the 13.5 vs a stock brushed motor.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We have a couple of people running the 13.5 at our track in sedan and honestly to me they don't seem to have an advantage. I am in fact dead even in speed on the straight and I am running a CO27. Only time they seem to be a real advantage is most that run them also run Lipo, so they tend to be under weight compared to me running Nihm still.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Tech Addict

One of my trusted secret agents is saying that LRP will come out with some stunning stuff, most likely a cheap brushless stock combo (less than 200 retail), at the Nuremberg show in February (I know it's in Germany, no it's not February that's in Germany but Nuremberg is, the show is in Nurember in Germany in February and Germany is not in February even if I just wrote it, but the show is, in February that is). And a new charger, and a radio system, and a huge monster truck. Actually I think the agent lost his mind some years ago but who knows.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The problem with LRP at least here in the states is that it's getting hard to get their stuff. They will release a product (or announce it's release) then it doesn't ever show up. The Sphere Comp and the Quantum 3 are two PRIME examples. I'd really like to have a sphere comp right now since the Tekin ESC is pushed off but you can't get them.

Right now whichever gets in stock first
4 cell GTB
Sphere Comp
Tekin R1

Whichever gets in first I will buy.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
We have a couple of people running the 13.5 at our track in sedan and honestly to me they don't seem to have an advantage. I am in fact dead even in speed on the straight and I am running a CO27. Only time they seem to be a real advantage is most that run them also run Lipo, so they tend to be under weight compared to me running Nihm still.
Then it sounds to me that those guys aren't taking full advantage of that motor. I'm at the Novak USTC race in Milwaukee right now(& competing in the 13.5 brushless class), & trust me, if you gear them right, they have an OBVIOUS edge. To give an idea of it, when I got here I intended to run brushed Stock Rubber, & practiced that way a couple of days, but I discovered the deal they had on the 13.5 here($75 for the motor with the sintered rotor already in it, which costs about $28-30, so basically got it for $5 off normal price & the rotor was free) & I already have a GTB in my car so I got it & changed to that class, & in order to get the motor running up to seed(learned this from Charlie Suangka & Bob Novak), I needed to gear up a LOT, like from final drive ratios of about 7.09:1, to about 4.6:1(had to go to an 88 tooth sur from a 104 & run a 43 tooth pinion to get there). Once I did, the motor really came alive & I had the speed & acceleration to blow most brushed stock motor cars away in a straight line(though driving it is quite different, much like mods,almost no cogging at all & almost no drag brake, so I'm still struggling with my driving line), but it leaves no doubt about the advantage(if I tried that kind of gearing on a brushed motor, it'd likely blow up in a minute or less)......

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Then it sounds to me that those guys aren't taking full advantage of that motor. I'm at the Novak USTC race in Milwaukee right now(& competing in the 13.5 brushless class), & trust me, if you gear them right, they have an OBVIOUS edge. To give an idea of it, when I got here I intended to run brushed Stock Rubber, & practiced that way a couple of days, but I discovered the deal they had on the 13.5 here($75 for the motor with the sintered rotor already in it, which costs about $28-30, so basically got it for $5 off normal price & the rotor was free) & I already have a GTB in my car so I got it & changed to that class, & in order to get the motor running up to seed(learned this from Charlie Suangka & Bob Novak), I needed to gear up a LOT, like from final drive ratios of about 7.09:1, to about 4.6:1(had to go to an 88 tooth sur from a 104 & run a 43 tooth pinion to get there). Once I did, the motor really came alive & I had the speed & acceleration to blow most brushed stock motor cars away in a straight line(though driving it is quite different, much like mods,almost no cogging at all & almost no drag brake, so I'm still struggling with my driving line), but it leaves no doubt about the advantage(if I tried that kind of gearing on a brushed motor, it'd likely blow up in a minute or less)......

Did you check your lap times vs the brushed motor? The powerband is different and it seems so much fast but from what I've found it isn't that much faster and a really well tuned brushed motor is faster overall in my opinion.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, my lap times are faster, but in my case not as fast as they could be(I'm not the best driver in the world, hard to avoid blowing corner entries for me compared to brushed), but as I said before, it is obvious how much faster the motor is, before using it I was average in speed & acceleration running with brushed stock guys, but after installing it I was pulling on EVERY brushed stock car I was practicing with. No doubt the motor is faster.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Grizz and others.....

How are you guys combating the lack of "cogging"? Can there be any drag brake dialed in to give the same feel as a brushed motor or close to it? Good Luck in the mains today Grizz!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKYT
Grizz and others.....

How are you guys combating the lack of "cogging"? Can there be any drag brake dialed in to give the same feel as a brushed motor or close to it? Good Luck in the mains today Grizz!

Brant
I've been using a 13.5 for a while now, and I've actually just bought a new speedo with "auto-roll" so that when I run my stock brushed motor it doesn't have that "cogging" effect. The main reason for this is that I don't have the throttle control to lift off a little and maintain forward momentum. With brushless or "auto-roll" I can let off the throttle completely and the car just rolls perfectly round the corner.
THancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you can adjust the drag brake settings to get that brushed feel on the GTB. There are 6 preset profiles, and a 7th that is customizable.

Takes a bit of fiddling, or an adjustment in driving style. take your pick.

Last edited by cfwdude; 01-08-2007 at 08:06 AM.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Last night we had a class for stock and brushless 13.5. One driver entered both classes and his qualifying time for each class was almost identical, only a few tenths difference over the entire run.
SoCalMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMitch
Last night we had a class for stock and brushless 13.5. One driver entered both classes and his qualifying time for each class was almost identical, only a few tenths difference over the entire run.
When they allow the 13.5 and Lipos...I'm there. I sold all my NiMh stuff long ago.

I figure another few months and they'll get there...LOL I mean the rest of the world is already there...it just takes SoCal a little bit longer.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I had the benefit of watching a 13.5 running against a well tuned stock motor, both running the same batteries. They were 1 and 2 in a stock foam race. The brushless seemed to have better accelaration off the corners in the infield but the brushed had a better top end down the straight. In the end, the brushed motor won.
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote