Old 11-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default It's time for race tracks&directors to step up

Juan Aveytia
Total Posts: 207
Last Post: 11-23-06
User Since: 09-01-05
Posted: Nov-23-2006 11:53AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've noticed a noticeable decline in local racers in the last couple of years. When I started, there was at least 10 to 12 full heats every race. Now were lucky to get 6 races and half of them full. There are more tracks to race at than ever before, I understand that. Since I've been in the race seen, track owners have never advertised to the public. And if you did, how long did you continue to advertise. It seems that you as track owners depend solely on us racers to bring new drivers to the track. We do what we can, but it definitely isn't enough. I enjoy this sport, but I enjoy hanging with the friends I've met through it more than anything. People who don't go to big races, think that people that do go to big races. Go, because they want to win a big race. That's partly true, but the main reason is to hang with friends for a week and just have fun, drinking (some more than others) or anything else thats lets them relax from the normal day of life.

The way Roar, Track owners and everyone involved in this sport that run programs. They're running this sport straight into the ground. Us racers are already here,RACING. You guys need to run this like a true business. Spend a percentage of your profits , or all of your profits from the races to attract new people. Invest in start up kits from manufactors like losi, associated, xray, tamiya and hotbodies to name a few. You as track owners keep saying theres no money to advertise. Well guess what. If you guys don't start bringing in new people real soon, you won't have a program to manage. If you were new , and your first race you attended as a spectator. Only 15 people were there racing. HOW EXCITED WOULD YOU BE? Especially when you tell them what it cost to get started. So, you go out and open a track, get all the OLD racers excited about going to the new track. But, none of you do anything to bring new people in. So, racers get spread out even thinner than before. Because for years now, I guess you guys thought no one would ever quit. There's not a sport where people won't drop out. And all you guy's do is say" how come you guys aren't coming to the track anymore". Can you guys see where I comming from. For years now, not only has roar hurt this sport, but so have you guys who call the shot's in your area.

This is the perfect time to invite new people to the tracks. Get creative. CHRISTMAS is around the corner. Find away to get new people to the track, and get them EXCITED. This may sound stupid to us racers, but gat a popcorn machine, ballons make people feel welcome and not an outcast. Wondering what there doing there. Have designated people talk to the new people. Train them what to say. If a new person starts asking questions to the wrong racer. He may brush that person off, and you as a track owner will lose a potential racer. NEW PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW HOW EASY IT IS TO GET STARTED. If you complicate everything right away, it's a sure way of losing your potential new racer. Racers are loyal there local tracks, where they get started. So, be loyal to them. In my opinion, race tracks seem really boruring to be at. Have a jumper for our kids. You can buy a good one used for for 1500 to 3000 dollars. Instant babysitting. Showcase the expert class. Don't let someone in just because they think there fast enough. Make them earn it. Set a compition for your local racers. Maybe send them to a national race for a prize. Give them something to shoot for. Even at nationals theres rookie racers.

With brushless and 3000 stick packs available, for a reasonable price. This may be the best ever time to start racing. Make deals with manufactors, the more product they move, the more discounts thay can give.

You guys really need to start thinking differently about how to build your business's. I garuntee if you keep working your business the way all of you are. We all will be doing something new within the next couple of years.

This message wasn't written to offend anyone, but to start thinking of new ways to bring our local tracks back to what they you to be. Fun, exciting place for people to bring their family to attend.

Corrally USA-EnvyMotorports-JWerks-poleposition

JPH Racing
Total Posts: 1584
Last Post: 11-23-06
User Since: 01-14-99
Posted: Nov-23-2006 12:51PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan:

A little long winded, but I think I got the message you were trying to get across!

When I ran a program in front of my hobby shop, the main thing that got people into it was the program itself. Lot's of colorful tents set up, racers everywhere (130+ entries), great announcing (we miss Dan Lee), lot's of action on the track, plenty of nice people to talk too ... When someone stopped by, they were talked too like humans, questions got answered, the shop was right there if they wanted to buy or stop in again for follow up questions and info .... Anyway, point is the race was in our front parking lot, out in the open, and self advertised itself.

Many of the tracks these days are off the beaten path. They are tucked away and unless advertised, the chances of drawing new people are slim.

Advertising costs money and it's hard for track owners to part with what little profits they make. So, with no advertising money spent, the two easy ways of getting new racers is word of mouth from your existing racers, or other local hobby shops spreading the word.

Surprisingly, it seems harder and harder to get hobby shops to work together on promoting local racing to their customers. And, it seems like track owners are getting burned so often, they do not want to work together to promote racing at each others tracks or have series. New tracks open up without a customer base, and expect racers to travel from other areas.

Anyway, I just realized that it's easy to be long winded with this subject! Point is, Juan is right. We need new blood to make the racing profitable for the tracks, fun and challenging for the racers, and to keep our sport healthy. But, it's up to everyone to do their part. Thinking you have the "field of dreams", just because you have a track, doesn't cut it anymore. Like Juan said, not aimed at anyone, not meant to hurt feelings, was just in the mood to type some thoughts.

Jake

E-mail me at: [email protected]

WWW.JPHRacing.com WWW.swiftracingproducts.com www.thegroundpounders.com

MAVERICK Oval Chassis & the "Mini Mav"
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I just hope that people take notice of what you have written, because i have seen attendance levels at two of my local tracks drop to the point where one track has closed down because they now only have 5 members and the others track is now only open every other weekend
This really stinks cus i now have a 5hour round trip if i want to race at a decent track indoors every other weekend
Old 11-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Juan.. you for got Track Owners......
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Has anyone noticed a decline in the younger racers 7-13. What do you see at your tracks.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC
Juan.. you for got Track Owners......
I know. I also forgot how to spell a few words that my 6 year old can spell. I understand onroad racing is a small segment in R/C. But, I don't think it has to be. It's all perception. It's easy to find all the faults. I would like to find a solution. I definitely think it's possible.
If anyone has any solid idea's, please post them. Inexspensive, cost effective ways of advertising. I would really like to hear from club presidents , owners on there experience on advertising. Where they advertised? How much money they spent? How long did they continue to advertise? How often did they invite new people to the track? Did the track have a car they could try out?
If onroad racing is so small. Why does it attract some of the largest R/C races in the country? There definitely is a way for an onroad explosion. We just need the right business people to set the foundation.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotyournumber
Has anyone noticed a decline in the younger racers 7-13. What do you see at your tracks.
Im one of them. Some times at my track there are more kids than adults.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Default asphalt outside

bs6ef
i`ll back him up
club races are very bad in support down here in the south
i can name 3-4 tracks that are in a bad way
a few reasons really

to many series racing over the weekend ,if they raced all on the same weekend that would leave 3 spare weekends for racers to support there local tracks

Cars are getting to expensive & the feel good factor is not there anymore

indoors though really good down here
carpetwars 1 a month 170 drivers
sidcup every friday eve forthnightly fully booked
Maritime thurs eve weekly 50- 60 drivers
Wkrcc fortnightly sunday mornings fully booked (60 drivers)

all these have one thing in common
all carpet/rubber running v-tech 24r as a control tyre , this saves loads of dosh, got 3-5 meeting out of one set easily , whole year for the wannabes
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93
Im one of them. Some times at my track there are more kids than adults.
On raceday Us grownups (all 5 of us) outnumber the 2 kids who show...

Good thing my local track doesn't rely on the track for any of its business...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
Tech Adept

This is what scares me about the hobby.

The first time I was in the hobby I had to quit because the only Offroad track anywhere within reasonable driving distance closed. So I had to give up offroad.

and then the second time I was into r/c it was on-road and that track closed so I quit the hobby again.

and now a new track has opened and I have put in the investment again to get into the hobby.

if they go out of business i'm going to be PISSED!
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

My Girlfriend had a fantastic idea. A video commercial in movie theaters. Cheaper than television. Hits the target potential customers (young, middle aged and older, male and female). Advertises at the right time, typically on weekends. And with the price of theater food and drinks, there spending the same money anyway. Not only that, but they paid money to sit there and see the movie and previews. They are going to pay attention and they can't change the channel. Also you can pick the specific neighborhoods you would like to advertise in, i.e you don't have to advertise in a bad income neighborhood. Really focuses on drawing in local racing. Its very targeted advertising for the cost. Imagine the interest a high energy commercial would produce right before Christmas right before the latest Disney movie for kids plays? How about before the newest Fast and Furious movie?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Tech Regular

here in hawaii, there is not even an onroad track to run at. this is an issue i keep bringing up to the Local Hobby Shops and "parking lot bashers" to see if we could get together and get something going.

I wish there was some serious racing here like there is in Japan.
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Everyone wishes to have tracks and racing like in Japan

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Juan...I gotta say that you have hit the nail on the head with this one. I totally agree with you 99.9% I disagree with the jump house idea We only know about other regions from posting on the message boards so I can't really speak up on their situation but out our way (Sacramento, Bayarea, Sanjose) the most fun I've really had out here was the norcal points series race Eric V. and Tom put together. From a racer looking in from the outside and not knowing or care to know all the politics involved between all the tracks....it took and outside source to organize a killer race series between all the tracks in our area. Why was that so successful??? Is it pride between owners(I don't know) We have some killer track in our area and i'm sure that we aren't the only part of the world that has a couple of tracks to choose from...so why not work together? It may be easier said than done but something has got to happen before one of them closes it's doors. Bring the fun back into the hobby. I try to pull what ever gimmick I can to get people out to race. weather it's trash talking about beating someone to offering up money to anyone that finishes ahead of me, the mullet challenges and the dress challenge (I still hate Weylin ) I look at it as entertainment for a few hours and endless conversation on the message boards unitl we all can meet up again at the next club race. We are all looking for the same answers and right now they don't seem to be coming fast enough. I'm glad to see that you cared enough to post what you did and I tip my hat off to you for that. Hopefully your words don't fall onto deaf ears.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

It all sounds good but as drivers we are partially to blame as well as owners. We want to win so bad that we spend money buying top dollar equipment and cars to stay competive. When newcomers come to the track they are detered by seeing all the stuff we carry. They feel it takes thousands to get started. Novice racing should be a spec class. Expert stock???? should be 19T. These classes should be controlled more. So beginner classes do not cost an arm and leg just to start. Manufacturers sell these kits for so much and release a new kit twice a year. Some of us can't keep up with the hobby that way, let alone a newbie who doesn't have anything. My 2 cents worth.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
It all sounds good but as drivers we are partially to blame as well as owners. We want to win so bad that we spend money buying top dollar equipment and cars to stay competive. When newcomers come to the track they are detered by seeing all the stuff we carry. They feel it takes thousands to get started. Novice racing should be a spec class. Expert stock???? should be 19T. These classes should be controlled more. So beginner classes do not cost an arm and leg just to start. Manufacturers sell these kits for so much and release a new kit twice a year. Some of us can't keep up with the hobby that way, let alone a newbie who doesn't have anything. My 2 cents worth.
Thats a major concern for everyone new. The tamiya ta05, hotbodies tub chassis , losi and xray all have great low to mid level cars that can compete with the top dollar cars. They can hop-up their cars, as their driving skill gets better. The brushless 13.5 is perfect for all stock racers. No maintence for newbies. Just fun track time. All day long. Make it some what spec. 3300 stick packs(CHEAP). And I guarantee they will have more power, than they know what to do with. Not, talking crap, but good drivers with any of the cars I mentioned , and the power system I mentioned will still beat 90% of you out there with your 4200's and top of the line cars.