R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ROAR - 4 cell for all touring

I was talking to Billy, and he indicated that the ROAR Excom is contemplating on making all touring car classes 4 cell for 2007. I personally think 4 cell stock and 4 cell 19T is gonna be a drag ...I mean we spend all this time and money to go faster as we get better and now we will be forced to go slower, I know the rational is that it will be easier for new people to not be intimadated to join the hobby, tires will last longer, motors, ESC's, cars, brushes will last longer, etc, etc ....but again those of us that get "deep into" the hobby know what we are getting into, to force a slow down of all classes on us just doesn't seem right.

...what do you guys feel about this?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Advil started one allready
Old 11-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I see it as a "damned if you do anything, damned if you don't do anything" type of situation in TC right now. Mod club racing is dead or really really light any more. This means more "experienced" drivers are relagated to running 19T or stock. This keeps the new guys frustrated because they can't win and basically have no chance until they race a couple of years to get the experience to run with the fast guys. So you slow down ALL the classes and now the guys that are running stock or 19T complain that their cars are too slow now, almost forcing them to run mod. Basically the way I see it if ROAR does nothing TC racing will continue to be stagnant with no growth. If they do the 4 cell thing then alot of people will quit racing TC but in the long run it might actually help it grow. just my opinion from a long time mod TC racer that is now forced to run stock or 19T because of a lack of a mod TC class anymore.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 11-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I see it as a "damned if you do anything, damned if you don't do anything" type of situation in TC right now. Mod club racing is dead or really really light any more. This means more "experienced" drivers are relagated to running 19T or stock. This keeps the new guys frustrated because they can't win and basically have no chance until they race a couple of years to get the experience to run with the fast guys. So you slow down ALL the classes and now the guys that are running stock or 19T complain that their cars are too slow now, almost forcing them to run mod. Basically the way I see it if ROAR does nothing TC racing will continue to be stagnant with no growth. If they do the 4 cell thing then alot of people will quit racing TC but in the long run it might actually help it grow. just my opinion from a long time mod TC racer that is now forced to run stock or 19T because of a lack of a mod TC class anymore.
well put!!
J Concepts
Old 11-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Well after a few of us ran 4 cell mod last month at Superior Hobbies (Florida),people realized how fast those cars were, now there are more guys interested in 4 cell mod for next month.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't fear change. This happened with oval several years ago, and the change has been for the better. 4 cell oval classes now are faster than their 6 cell counterparts of a few years ago.
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
Old 11-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
Tech Master

Talking

bout damn time! hurry up and buy a oval car while your at it! now you hacks can run with us too!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKSIDE
Don't fear change. This happened with oval several years ago, and the change has been for the better. 4 cell oval classes now are faster than their 6 cell counterparts of a few years ago.
I agree!! just loose the cells and GEAR UP!!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
Tech Lord

honestly,i always felt that stock class sucked because the motors suck.if stock motors were eliminated all together i would not be disappointed.19 turn could be the new stock,say 14 turn or 10 turn can be the new intermediate class to replace 19 turn and brushless could replace mod.if we could get brushless motors that are more suitable for 4 cell racing there will not be much loss of speed in 4 cell mod.i have been running a 4.5 brushless in 4 cell touring for about 2 months now.i was right there with a 10 turn 6 cell mod touring car down the straight and ate em up in the infield.just think if that was with a sensorless motor.this is slow?i dont see what the big deal is.if we just let it happen,all the motor technology will follow and we will be close to where we are now with speed.think back 15 years ago to stock motors.our stocks today are like mods were back then.eveyone seemed to be ok with the speeds and seemed to enjoy racing.
J Concepts
Old 11-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
honestly,i always felt that stock class sucked because the motors suck.if stock motors were eliminated all together i would not be disappointed.19 turn could be the new stock,say 14 turn or 10 turn can be the new intermediate class to replace 19 turn and brushless could replace mod.if we could get brushless motors that are more suitable for 4 cell racing there will not be much loss of speed in 4 cell mod.i have been running a 4.5 brushless in 4 cell touring for about 2 months now.i was right there with a 10 turn 6 cell mod touring car down the straight and ate em up in the infield.just think if that was with a sensorless motor.this is slow?i dont see what the big deal is.if we just let it happen,all the motor technology will follow and we will be close to where we are now with speed.think back 15 years ago to stock motors.our stocks today are like mods were back then.eveyone seemed to be ok with the speeds and seemed to enjoy racing.
Hey Jason I need a 4 cell chassis for my Cyclone

I got some ideas for it Ill show you tomorow!!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Another upside is that most racers will be able to convert with a soldering iron. It should cut down on wear and tear on tires and motors (for those running brushes) and the slower speeds will make for easier to handle racing situations. I don't even race onroad but the topic interests me. I think it should be viewed with optimisim.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

More interesting than ROAR considering this change for its own events, will be how local racing or 'club' racing adopts 4 cell.

Most racers will never make a ROAR event but chances are good that thier local club often uses ROAR rules as a basis for their program.

In a run down of races I commonly attend in a year including 20+ club events, RROC and next year Vegas; with a remote possibility of attending the Onroad Nats - ROAR events are not the focus.

Dealing with the change will be learning curve for both the newbie and experienced racers. Like anything else, the newbies will be conservative and experienced guys will handle a lot of the learning curve through trial and error.

Imagine all of the posts.... How do I gear a BL for 4 cell.....

The internet and RCTech have provided a great platform for leveling the knowledge base and informational 'how-to' for RC. With a possible change for 4cell in both the ROAR program and local programs - there will be a all-new curve for understanding 4cell dynamics in RC. Not a bad thing but just as we thought we got a handle - we all get to learn again.

IMO, not sure that moving to 4cell will create 'new' interest for R/C. How much closer will the gap be with RTRs you buy from RadioShack with 6 cells compared to a standard RC model that runs on a 4cell. How do you explain to a new person why their RadioShack ride is as fast as your machine that may cost a multiple of theirs. Big box retailers care about moving units. Impressionable shoppers want speed and durability.

Moving to 4 cell may drive retention of existing racers but do little to drive the wow factor for the impressionably interested.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Tech Lord

until people try it with the right gear the pessimistic attitudes will continue.i wasnt to excited about it either.this is why i tried it and found it really isnt slow and the cars handle better.for mod it will help brushless out a ton because they shine over brushed motors in 4 cell.4 cell brushed is slower in mod than brushless.
J Concepts
Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
Super Moderator

4 cell mod with brushless 4.5 motor geared at around 8.5 FDR ,its fast!!
Closed Thread