R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Racing at the limit/faster cornering

This question is to the guys that have figured out how to run thier cars at the limit. I am a fairly good and consistent driver but have been described as not aggressive enough. A good friend of mine and local TC fast guy says I am not pushing the car hard enough. My style is "oneway" even though I am running a spool. I know about the theory of available maximum traction to the tires for turning, accerlerating...etc. I need to be able to put this into practice any ideas on how to practice pushing the car to it's limits without just throwing the car around and staying punched all the time. Or should I just stay punched all the time.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Tech Elite

This is an interesting topic to me.

A few years ago I used to race with a lad who drove a lovely smmoth line for a whole race, but just didn't carry enough speed. The car could have easily gone faster and still run the same line. He has now got a lot faster as he has built the speed up.

If you watch the recently posted footage of the Japan Nats you will see that Masami et al drive a perfect line very lap, kissing every apex and maintaining maximum corner speed. This is not necessarily an aggressive driving style.

My guess is there is more speed to come from you mentally.

Instead of being relaxed and happily running a good line with smooth inputs, get your head "in the zone". Drive at 10/10ths. Up the adrenalin and you will see that your tempo increases too. Your line can still be good and your inputs smooth, but you will find that with more focus you will make those smooth movements more quickly. If you are working the throttle and steering at 10/10ths, rather than 8 or 9/10ths, the car will be faster all round the track.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I agree that most of it is mental it's just getting the mind set that I need to get where I need to be. Transfering this to the track is my challenge.

Rod
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I've been thinking alot on how to drive a rc car and I think you should continue driving smooth because in the long therm you will be faster that way. I think to be fast is about not making mistakes not even small mistakes, the goal is: not even one 30 cm off corner apex during 5 minutes.

I think you need to be more focused just like sosidge said and the speed will improve.

I feel it will take longer to become faster with a smooth driving style but when you have figured it out you will be really fast.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

For me.After I can drive smooth all around the track.I need to set my car-More and Faster steering[you must try].And I felt that my car has oversteer [hook-up] at the same driving style / same speed.If I add more speed for all corners ,I can drive smooth again but faster.
sorry for my eng.
khunballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

My setup is has a good deal of steering but I may also work to get the setup more aggressive. When the competition level (such as visitors to our track) changes I am usually faster. This weekend I will try to up the level of focus and intensity in my races to see if these things work.

Rod
Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I used to road race full scale motorcycles and have figured out that if you drive at 100% all the time you'll continue to make the same mistakes 100% of the time and learn 0% of the time.

Drive at a comfortable 80-90% and use the other 10% to learn. You'll be smoother and when you drive smooth and comfortable more speed is easier to find because your not already on the bubble of crashing and you can concentrate on finding those extra 10ths of a second.

Plus if your driving at 100% what happens when you have to change line due to lap traffic or when you have to avoid someone elses mistake? Crash go boom, that's what happens.

Another advantage is that you'll go through allot less parts.

Speed will come, give it time.
ccs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dissable the brakes on your car and you will learn how fast you can actually take the turns.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

There was an interesting article i read once from Todd Hodge about corner speed and apexing each corner, may be someone remembers the article and can post a link, good topic though.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy
There was an interesting article i read once from Todd Hodge about corner speed and apexing each corner, may be someone remembers the article and can post a link, good topic though.
I am always looking for articles like that, hard to find though. I was actually hoping some of the well known pros would chime in. Just finding it hard to break my conservative habits, btw I almost never break car parts.

Rod