R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #1156
Tech Regular

Actually, I don't know why I'm arguing with you guys. The rest of the world is going to make some kind of change so the cars will change next year anyways. You'll have like 2 cars to choose from and they won't be from Xray, Corally, or Tamiya.

We can just let the rest of the world drive the changes. It's easier than arguing with people that "just want to go fast" in stock.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #1157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
Plenty of people already want this to happen now? WHO??? A few factory drivers maybe who aren't the ones who will PAY $$$$ for it. I think if you look back through just this thread you'll see that MOST people are completely AGAINST it.

It isn't a fix, it's an excuse. What are the problems this even addresses? Heat causing parts to fail...gear down...runs cooler...parts don't fail. Sorry, your stuff fails because you push it to hard, that's your problem and not the industries as a whole. Stock is to fast for newbies....SilverCan class. Look at that, I fixed it. The two problems this is supposed to address are fixed and this leaves the door open for LIPO in the near future.

What are the problems this CAUSES. Forces hobbyists to buy all new stuff. The car that was DESIGNED for 6-cell now is obsolete. Yes, I can move the electronics around but then you're adding longer wires and we all know that's less efficient. The new designs will also be lighter since the weight limit will most likely be decreased so parts will be MORE prone to failure and breakage when you hit the wall. You WILL have to buy new batteries. Some say you can simply break down your current packs but guess what...now the matched cells you paid big money for aren't matched anymore and unless every pack had been cycled the same number of times...you could potentially be looking at major malfunctions. So, you'll have to buy new packs. Also, since people like speed, everyone will be forced to move up a class to regain the lost speed so even more $$$ spent by hobbyists to move up a class and buy new motors...etc... Lastly, runtime will be shorter and you know that's true, which means TCs will never get to the point where they can run longer Mains like 1/12th scale does...which is why so many people are going that route...MORE TIME ON THE TRACK RACING!!!! Oh yeah...it keeps LIPO out which is probably the real purpose. LIPO could hurt the battery manufacturers and the battery matching companies and ROAR wouldn't want to stop bowing down to them since most of the people who are FOR 4-5cell are sponsored by a battery company or matching company. I know, we would only be buying 4-cells instead of 6 BUT we would have to buy MORE packs to get the same runtime as we can currently AND it will keep the real competitor...LIPO...out of racing.

It's all really simple. Just because Japan and Europe made changes doesn't mean the US has to. When did we become a country of followers instead of a country of LEADERS. When did this country stop being the innovators of speed and daring and start cowing down to Europe and Japan.

So much anger...

So if I decided to get back into tc I am going to buy new packs every few months to stay competitive, new motors, tires up the wazoo and my fancy chassis that I just bought will be replaced with a newer version within 6 months. My fun/cost ratio was ending up on the more cost less fun side so I decided not to race onroad this winter. It looks like allot of folks are going the same direction.

You said 1/12 scale is coming back to kill lipo? Dude what are you smoking. I raced 1/12 scale last year because it cost way less than TC and was more fun. Not because a battery matcher was telling me to run it in some bizzaro conspiracy to keep out lipo. Remember this is a HOBBY, we do it because its fun. When TC becomes so specialized at the mid to upper level that you cannot keep people from giving it up to other forms of RC then what.

If you want to keep 6 cell and lipo then my opinion is keep mod where it is, go as fast as you want. Change the motor rules for stock and 19t to give more separation. The easy way would be just higher winds for each class. The hard way is to develop new motor rules to allow better technology, less maintenance and lower speeds.

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #1158
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdav
So much anger...

So if I decided to get back into tc I am going to buy new packs every few months to stay competitive, new motors, tires up the wazoo and my fancy chassis that I just bought will be replaced with a newer version within 6 months. My fun/cost ratio was ending up on the more cost less fun side so I decided not to race onroad this winter. It looks like allot of folks are going the same direction.

You said 1/12 scale is coming back to kill lipo? Dude what are you smoking. I raced 1/12 scale last year because it cost way less than TC and was more fun. Not because a battery matcher was telling me to run it in some bizzaro conspiracy to keep out lipo. Remember this is a HOBBY, we do it because its fun. When TC becomes so specialized at the mid to upper level that you cannot keep people from giving it up to other forms of RC then what.

If you want to keep 6 cell and lipo then my opinion is keep mod where it is, go as fast as you want. Change the motor rules for stock and 19t to give more separation. The easy way would be just higher winds for each class. The hard way is to develop new motor rules to allow better technology, less maintenance and lower speeds.

Read a little more of the thread. Other people were saying that TCs were dieing at their tracks and 1/12th scale was flourishing and were using that as a reason that TCs should move to 4-cells. I do agree on the rest. Don't change the number of cells because that just seperates TCs even more from other forms of electric racing. Maybe some class changes "could" be in order but not a change that revamps the entire industry from both the racing aspect and the hobby aspect.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #1159
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Sorry for all the typo's and misspelling!

I am getting tired hearing how 4 cell is going to be the savior of r/c, BULL HOCKEY!

R/C racing has be dying a slow death due to manufactures stuffing new products down our throats faster then we can say stop. New upgrade this, and that. The shelf life of todays cars is really short. Also you have RTR this RTR that , and how many of those rtr's are scale anything monster this and that! also mini this and mini that! Come on stop saying the batteries is the reason for the decline in people racing.
Back in the day it was stock and mod in either onroad or offroad, wether it was dirt or paved. Now we have Brushless and Lipo, RTR, mini classes, truggy buggy, driffting, drag racing, you the manufacture's have killed it. There are to many choices and that has diluted our racer base, and a new bread of r/cer's came about "basher's". They have always been around but not like we have nowadays!
People there are too many classes in r/c and how people overlook this? I dont know .
Another thing that is killing R/C is location we keep building and looking for permanent tracks! And they always in very well hidden places where foot rafic doesnt see the racing, maybe holding events at major motorsort events will help get that elusive car inthusiest ex; import tunner's, oval racing fan's, road racers, and car show's. Before tracks were clubs and everyone participated for a discount to set up a track in front of a busy mall.
Now everyone wants it easy and just show up with a chair and table, they expect power, shade, and prepared track when they arrive. PEOPLE HAVE JUST GOTTEN PLAIN LAZY!
Roar or racing in general need's a restructuring, not elimination of cells.

And maybe a little advertizing in full scale car magazines will help get those racing buffs out of the house and play pretend racerfor the weekend.

PEOPLE sit back and think of what it was like in the past so we can go forward, people were involved more. What has happend, stop blaming the equipment and take control of your selves. Stop looking for the easy button it never was and never will.

Dont say anything about making it easier for the bigginer because back in the day without internet( help section's, helpul tips), or ready to run's, racing enjoyed large amount of entries at races . AND IT WAS ALL BY WORD OF MOUTH!!!!! So look at the big picture and see where the problems really are.

Somethings that may help is ex; Homoligation of chassis, battery limits for say 3 years to stabilize the sport( dont say you cant because manufactures stop production B.S). I can still get gp3300's. Just because 1 or 2 stop a particular cell there are 20 other's still producing the same size battery.

If the industry prepares for a problem with scarsity of a product then a plan needs to be ineffect to deal with it, not "lets go up to the next cell"

Stop blaming cell count "speed" for the decline because since day one and forever more people will want to go faster.

Kids are aslo staying at home because of video gaming and the parents are to blame. Its cheaper and easier to give the kids a $600-$1000 gaming system that will keep the kids out of thier hair. Most of the kids in racing have parents that are spending time with their kids. But as of late it has become the norm in this country to be lazy and hit the enter button. Parents dont take the time or effort any more, look at all the teen violence going on.

Sorry guys just a pissed off Hobbiest that see's whats is going on and everyone is over looking the real issues!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #1160
Tech Elite

But we all know the real reason 1/12 scale is making a comeback.

I hate it when WOW is down for maintainance!

davesrctracks.net
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #1161
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdav
But we all know the real reason 1/12 scale is making a comeback.

I hate it when WOW is down for maintainance!
Yep, cheaper, easier to maintain, faster and longer (8 minute) races. I have no idea why anyone would be interested in 1/12th scale...hmmmm.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 12-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #1162
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedxl
Sorry for all the typo's and misspelling!

I am getting tired hearing how 4 cell is going to be the savior of r/c, BULL HOCKEY!

R/C racing has be dying a slow death due to manufactures stuffing new products down our throats faster then we can say stop. New upgrade this, and that. The shelf life of todays cars is really short. Also you have RTR this RTR that , and how many of those rtr's are scale anything monster this and that! also mini this and mini that! Come on stop saying the batteries is the reason for the decline in people racing.
Back in the day it was stock and mod in either onroad or offroad, wether it was dirt or paved. Now we have Brushless and Lipo, RTR, mini classes, truggy buggy, driffting, drag racing, you the manufacture's have killed it. There are to many choices and that has diluted our racer base, and a new bread of r/cer's came about "basher's". They have always been around but not like we have nowadays!
People there are too many classes in r/c and how people overlook this? I dont know .
Another thing that is killing R/C is location we keep building and looking for permanent tracks! And they always in very well hidden places where foot rafic doesnt see the racing, maybe holding events at major motorsort events will help get that elusive car inthusiest ex; import tunner's, oval racing fan's, road racers, and car show's. Before tracks were clubs and everyone participated for a discount to set up a track in front of a busy mall.
Now everyone wants it easy and just show up with a chair and table, they expect power, shade, and prepared track when they arrive. PEOPLE HAVE JUST GOTTEN PLAIN LAZY!
Roar or racing in general need's a restructuring, not elimination of cells.

And maybe a little advertizing in full scale car magazines will help get those racing buffs out of the house and play pretend racerfor the weekend.

PEOPLE sit back and think of what it was like in the past so we can go forward, people were involved more. What has happend, stop blaming the equipment and take control of your selves. Stop looking for the easy button it never was and never will.

Dont say anything about making it easier for the bigginer because back in the day without internet( help section's, helpul tips), or ready to run's, racing enjoyed large amount of entries at races . AND IT WAS ALL BY WORD OF MOUTH!!!!! So look at the big picture and see where the problems really are.

Somethings that may help is ex; Homoligation of chassis, battery limits for say 3 years to stabilize the sport( dont say you cant because manufactures stop production B.S). I can still get gp3300's. Just because 1 or 2 stop a particular cell there are 20 other's still producing the same size battery.

If the industry prepares for a problem with scarsity of a product then a plan needs to be ineffect to deal with it, not "lets go up to the next cell"

Stop blaming cell count "speed" for the decline because since day one and forever more people will want to go faster.

Kids are aslo staying at home because of video gaming and the parents are to blame. Its cheaper and easier to give the kids a $600-$1000 gaming system that will keep the kids out of thier hair. Most of the kids in racing have parents that are spending time with their kids. But as of late it has become the norm in this country to be lazy and hit the enter button. Parents dont take the time or effort any more, look at all the teen violence going on.

Sorry guys just a pissed off Hobbiest that see's whats is going on and everyone is over looking the real issues!
wow Hector thats alot of typing!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #1163
Tech Elite

Speedxl

Very nice post.

I started racing 1/8 off-road last summer and it was a kick. We have more and more off-road outdoor tracks being built and when you sign up to race its all for one class. No stock, super stock, mod, novice, mabuchi, old fart. Its one big fat mob of racers. I get more satisfaction if I can make the A at a local event that has maybe 65 entries than winning one that has 5. For this fact I can stomach the high cost of 1/8 scale because I'm having fun and If you do well you feel you have accomplished something so It keeps the desire to race going.

davesrctracks.net
Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #1164
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have to agree with you there one class of racing it just needs to be decided what that class is i.e 6 cell, 5 cell or 4 cell modified/brushless
Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #1165
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
Honestly Mr. Myrberg, I think that you are comparing apples to oranges here. The racing conditions in Europe are much different than the racing conditions here in the U.S. We as a whole rarely race on such large tracks as you are blessed with in Europe. This alone causes a difference of opinion about cell count. We do not see the failure rate that those in Europe do. We have a very vocal few who are complaining while the majority really have no problem and are in fact enjoying what they have now. We are also seeing club racers embracing the new technology of Bushless motors and LIPO because they are simpler to use and maintain than their counterparts. Should ROAR go to 4 or 5 cell exclusive use, then we bar much of the new technology from being used on the club level and that will affect turn outs. We don't want that! We need to think about making it easier for the average "Joe" to come out and race without all of the "Black Majic" and "Voodoo" required to be competitive and fast. Making cars slower just takes away from their appeal.....and gives them fuel to stay home and work on their PS3 skills.

Please rephrase your answer...YOU dont see problem with what YOU race. I saw plenty of Mod motors blow this year. I know MO blew up motors and speedos in your neck of the woods this year too. I guess he is the only one going fast enought up there to do it

I saw Tosso blow a motor two weeks ago at a cool weater outdoor race. At Cleveland he melted a speedo while on an A-main run.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #1166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Simple solution....switch to Nitro...plenty of fun RTR's on the market for beginners and tons of high priced insame HP engines available for all you speed freaks....
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #1167
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Simple solution....switch to Nitro...plenty of fun RTR's on the market for beginners and tons of high priced insame HP engines available for all you speed freaks....
there's a bright idea
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #1168
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Please rephrase your answer...YOU dont see problem with what YOU race. I saw plenty of Mod motors blow this year. I know MO blew up motors and speedos in your neck of the woods this year too. I guess he is the only one going fast enought up there to do it

I saw Tosso blow a motor two weeks ago at a cool weater outdoor race. At Cleveland he melted a speedo while on an A-main run.
If motors are blowing then they are being pushed to hard by the racers. They can always gear down. You blow the motor or melt the speedo you lose right? So they should run more conservative and let the other guys blow up and then they win...YEAH!!!! Then you won't have to reengineer the entire TC hobby just for the guys who push to hard. I believe it's a minority of racers who are blowing their stuff up right? I've never seen anyone at my track blow up a motor or melt the solder off the leads. Oh, that's because they actually PAY for their own equipment and take care not to blow it up. Oh, sorry I keep forgetting that some people think we should cater to the factory supported racers who shouldn't care if their stuff explodes since they don't pay a dime for it anyway.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #1169
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
If motors are blowing then they are being pushed to hard by the racers. They can always gear down. You blow the motor or melt the speedo you lose right? So they should run more conservative and let the other guys blow up and then they win...YEAH!!!! Then you won't have to reengineer the entire TC hobby just for the guys who push to hard. I believe it's a minority of racers who are blowing their stuff up right? I've never seen anyone at my track blow up a motor or melt the solder off the leads. Oh, that's because they actually PAY for their own equipment and take care not to blow it up. Oh, sorry I keep forgetting that some people think we should cater to the factory supported racers who shouldn't care if their stuff explodes since they don't pay a dime for it anyway.
You dont run mod do you? If you did then you would know that if you gear down your motor is turning more RPM at the end of the straight and that would make it even easier to throw a wind. Its centrifugal forces that cuase thrown winds. You actually gear up to reduce rpm and prevent thrown winds. Unfortunatly, gearing up makes the motor run hotter. When it runs hotter you can unsolder the winds from the comm or the wire from the endbell. Its a Catch 22.

Most of the guys running mod down here pay for thier own stuff. I know I do. Schumacher dosen't make motors...lol!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #1170
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

So it's obviously a motor problem.....