R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #946
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMitch
Was there a reason given not to have a 10 turn limit?

Limiting mod, is basically stock by definition. When they had a 10-turn limit at the Reedy race, I say 70% of the invite guys blew motors. OPEN mod allows you to compensate for less power, but going to a motor with more power. You may not be able to use the power you have but if you want more, it's there.

Limiting mod makes no sense.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #947
Tech Regular

...I noticed something STRANGE or FUNNY, or maybe IRONIC when reading this post.
Joe did your racers vote on using a ultrabird and f brushes?
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #948
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just got sick of reading all this so I sat down and emailed each of the ex com members... well ok... I didn't bother with Adrian since I know his opinion
I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I received 4 replies within a day. I guess the ex com is available to the members... if you take the time to contact them.
I wont post anything they wrote because I didn't ask them if I could.
But in general not one favored a rule change at this time and all wanted more testing before any rule change of this type.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #949
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
I just got sick of reading all this so I sat down and emailed each of the ex com members... well ok... I didn't bother with Adrian since I know his opinion
I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I received 4 replies within a day. I guess the ex com is available to the members... if you take the time to contact them.
I wont post anything they wrote because I didn't ask them if I could.
But in general not one favored a rule change at this time and all wanted more testing before any rule change of this type.
Good info...

We often get so wrapped up in a particular issue and argue, we seldom take a step back and try to find an answer.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #950
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Most of the people here complaining about it could care...

less about the new guys or mid level racers. There are only 6-7 guys here that attend big events that want to stick with 6 cell. Whatever, some say they care about the hobby, but deep down they only care about helping themselves. I'm all for the 4 cell rule. Bring it home Ex Com!
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #951
Tech Champion

Why not to split the race to "outlaw" and "nationals or officials" ?

With outlaw race we can race with "what we have style" in the form of modified and stock classes. Outlaw race permits use of 2 cells lipo, anykind of stock or mod motors sell in market, up to 6 cells NiMH, anykind of tires: rubber or foam, and strictly minimum weight of 1500grams for lipo users only.

With nationals / official races, we go back to ROAR rules, such as 4 cells NiMH and rubber tires.

just imo.....
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #952
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The ExCom voted this morning.

We unanimously decided to wait and see how things go in Japan and Europe before we mace a change.

This will be posted on the ROAR website soon.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #953
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM

We unanimously decided to wait and see how things go in Japan and Europe before we mace a change.

I guess i need to put my 4 cell car away for a while
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #954
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
less about the new guys or mid level racers. There are only 6-7 guys here that attend big events that want to stick with 6 cell. Whatever, some say they care about the hobby, but deep down they only care about helping themselves. I'm all for the 4 cell rule. Bring it home Ex Com!
You have that backwards, its more like 6-7 guys in the US that DO want to go 4 cell, not to mention the elimination of, or possible use and rules for lipos.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #955
Tech Master

There's way to many options for todays racers. Lipo.... NiMh.... 6cell.... 4cell.... brushless.... stock.... mod.... 19t.... and all of the other choices available today. And who's killing this hobby?? It's no wonder new people don't want to get involved. They don't know where to start IF they had the money.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #956
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I guess i need to put my 4 cell car away for a while
The Florida State Series Mod drivers have still decided to run 4 cell in 2007 so no need. There will probably also be a 4 cell mod class at Superior this Sunday.

FYI, I didn't run Mod last year so I could not vote. I will run it in 2007 though.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #957
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
The Florida State Series Mod drivers have still decided to run 4 cell in 2007 so no need. There will probably also be a 4 cell mod class at Superior this Sunday.

FYI, I didn't run Mod last year so I could not vote. I will run it in 2007 though.
i guess ill bring it with me on sunday
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #958
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

Good call by the ExCom.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #959
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Charlie,

That's the nice thing about my series... I create the rules for the classes I want to see run. I allow the racers to either run those classes, or get a group together to run a class the way they want it.

ie: NASTRUCK -This class was created by a group who wanted to run 19t, but not get plowed through by the FAST guys. They wanted a class that would be a little slower and fun.

THEY Chose for last year to stay with 3300 mah batteries, 19t motors or Brushless using a speedcontrol w/ a "sportsman" type option, spoilers w/o wings, and back ends preffered IN, but w/ or w/o could run. It was a SMALL class, but those who ran it..had a good time and there was NO controversy. Meanwhile the 19t class was D.O.A. prior to the MOTOR incident that came to the surface in Phoenix. After being approached by 4 or 5 drivers who showed interest in moving up from Stock to 19t, but said they would NOT do it unless we made a motor rule change...I looked into 4 or 5 options. (FIXED TIMED "on-road" style motors, CHECKPOINT Money 19t, Ultra-Bird, Staying w/ the '06 rules for '07.)

I spoke w/ ARCOR, Mike Boylan (via Email), and a few others who race in the FoCars series in Florida who use the UB19 motor w/o a brush rule.

I listened to guys who run it and love it...along w/ guys who run it and would prefer something different. All said the racing was top level competitive, and the price of the motor was attractive.

With this change, I have also let most of my racers know that if they wish to run a socalled "PRO19" class, as long as they bring the racers...that class can/will be run as well. (But w/ the addition of a 4300 BRUSHLESS Class, I doubt we'll see 4 19t classes, when we couldn't get ONE in '06)

...back to the 4 cell On-Road subject...

A few guys I'm hearing are planning to try it a little at this weeks club race...against the regular STOCK/ROOKIE class.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)

Last edited by SWTour; 12-02-2006 at 12:09 AM.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #960
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RoachRacing Send a message via AIM to RoachRacing Send a message via Yahoo to RoachRacing

ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

There has been recent movement in parts of the R/C world to reduce the number of cells in electric racing in all classes. A change such as this is an extremely important one and cannot be taken lightly. At this time ROAR has determined that there is not enough information to make an informed decision as to the best direction to take in 2007.

Regarding the number of cells in all classes there will be no change to the existing rules.

ROAR will monitor the international developments of four and five cell racing and after careful evaluation, make its determination for the 2008 rules when appropriate.

http://roarracing.com/news.php
RoachRacing is offline   Reply With Quote