ROAR to 4 cell....

Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

I keep seeing the arguement about 4 cells bringing new people into this hobby and I disagree....

Kid gets a TC4 RTR with a few stick packs for xmas, gotta buy new batteries just to race....

Buggy racer decides he want's to give TC a shot.... Can't use his batteries, has to split them or buy new....

Guy has an Emaxx and wants to go TC racing... Not only does he have to buy the car and electronics, his batteries are useless too....

Stop telling us this is good for the hobby because there are many other solutions....

A locked timing Modified at a speciied wind would solve Mod problems.... But then it's not longer Open Mod...

Stop comparing Pan Cars to TC's.....

TC's have the most inefficient divetrain, I don't care how long your shaftie spins with your ceramic bearings....

They weigh a ton, even on 4 cells... The lighter you try and make them the more brittle they get.....

I can put a 19 turn fresh out of the factory packing in ny RC10L2 or 10L3T and out accelerate and out corner any TC with any mod motor.... It's no contest....

How many of these TC's out there are Newbie friendly??? Basher Friendly??? 1 or 2???? let's get to the root of the problem....

I don't care... I've been in this hobby for 30 years and I have deep pockets, I'm going to buy whatever I feel like... But someone coming into this hobby today is overwhelmed.... Not only that, they go to a club race and there's guys who are sponsored racers... Honestly I'd hever seen this until recently...
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 194 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle478
Lets do it... i need to buy a 3.5 friday. Im going to run a 10.9 with 4 cell.
you need to be around a 8.5 with the 3.5 to get the speed out of it!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

vtl if you go outside and bang your head against the first tree to the left, you'll get more accomplished... these folks have already made up their mind.. heck all they'd have to do is go to a harder spec tire like 36's and that would do it.. but you'd actually have to drive and slow down a bit (and have tires that last longer to boot).. they say that it's too hard for newbies to drive with less traction, but the class took off when tires were harder than anything made today....
Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

my 3.5 is geared about 7.3:1 and barely even gets warm....oh sorry that's a pancar... lol
Old 11-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by tallyrc
my 3.5 is geared about 7.3:1 and barely even gets warm....oh sorry that's a pancar... lol
mine at 8.5 comes off the track at around 100 degress with a track temp of 120 degress.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I hate rc cars lol. Anyone got a 49 Chevy pickup they wanna sell? A small block 350 and unleaded gas are standard for hotrodding those.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Adrian,

What manufacturer charger currently does not charge 5 cells? Guys have been charging 5 cell receiver packs forever. After all, don't most chargers have an adjustable peak detect and current?

Also, I'm sure everyone here gives Adrian props for coming on here to discuss our concerns. I wish the rest of the ExComm had the guts to come on here and discuss it. <Edit> I believe Billy Bowerman has been on here, but haven't heard too much from him
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

marcos you running onroad pancar? 6 cell in it? what track.. i travel to FLA all the time..
Old 11-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

vtl if you go outside and bang your head against the first tree to the left, you'll get more accomplished... these folks have already made up their mind.. heck all they'd have to do is go to a harder spec tire like 36's and that would do it.. but you'd actually have to drive and slow down a bit (and have tires that last longer to boot).. they say that it's too hard for newbies to drive with less traction, but the class took off when tires were harder than anything made today....
Cause I live to argue.... I've been retired for 3 years now, that's 3 years I haven't gotten to spend my 1-2 days a week arguing in a courtroom... So I've taken 2 of my favorite hobbies, RC and arguing and combined together in one neat package here on RC tech....

On another forum I frequent (Non-RC) I was just nominated debate Club President!!!

My wife hates arguing with me, she runs away....

So y'all are stuck with me....
Old 11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With this talk of making a "spec" mod motor....where would BL fit in then, or are the locked mods designed to complete ban BL for the furture? It would seem that running BL in mod now is an advantage, a slower mod and still the same crazy fast BL will make this even more of a HP gap.

I think all of the guys here who are arguing about how many cells is best, should go to the track this weekend, and run 4,5,6 cell and take notes....then with valid info come here on monday and go back to bickering. Just watching others try it try it make an opinion is not good enough. I plan to try 4 cell this weekend, and see how it goes.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

that's cause she's an engineer.. they like to hide in corners and keep to themselves...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Legend

marcos you running onroad pancar? 6 cell in it? what track.. i travel to FLA all the time..
No its a TC with 4 cells (testing)
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by rcracingkid
With this talk of making a "spec" mod motor....where would BL fit in then, or are the locked mods designed to complete ban BL for the furture? It would seem that running BL in mod now is an advantage, a slower mod and still the same crazy fast BL will make this even more of a HP gap.

I think all of the guys here who are arguing about how many cells is best, should go to the track this weekend, and run 4,5,6 cell and take notes....then with valid info come here on monday and go back to bickering. Just watching others try it try it make an opinion is not good enough. I plan to try 4 cell this weekend, and see how it goes.
just remember to gear up a few teeth on the pinion
Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcracingkid

There was no talk of a spec mod motor.... It was my suggestion in response to Adrian refering to whent here was a motor limit and everyone would crank the timing up....
Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe my wording was poor...let me rephrase...

If we limit mod motors in some way, how do the people suggesting the limit feel about BL motors running alongside the limited mods?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service