R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #826
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Advil - Take a decent set of IB4200's cycle it and note the average voltage. Do the same with a 4800 LiPo pack. You tell me which you would run.

Do the same test on the track and again tell me which you would run.

Its not going to come out the way you think.

You have done no testing and you have no clue but you insist on posting here like you know what you are talking about.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #827
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK, settle in the middle... Go to 5 cells!!!

Some more thoughts that I need to get out....

Make he races longer... Say 6 or 7 minutes..... Instead of a 5 mintue sprint make it more of an endurance type race. This might force people to make the batteries/motor last longer before the batteries start dumping or the motor overheating...... Longer races are better for everyone.... Look at the growth in the 12 scale class.....
And how many people over charge thier batteries to try and get that little more in before the race...

Oval vs onroad pissing contest just like NASCAR and Formula 1 same crap different day.... To each their own....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #828
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

<----- tired of the oval comparisons.

I love oval, that said, the reason come oval racing has seen a drop in numbers has to do with the track. Not taking into account, heat, wind, and minor differences in traction, once a track has a good solid record in a class, there are people that finally realize that even there best is NEVER going to hit that number, and they try, week after week, after week. Finally they look for something else to do.

Also, most local guys kill folks that travel to thier oval track. Same layout, you have 50,000 laps and haven't made a pinion change in a year... I just got here, never seen the place before, hmm, wonder how this is gonna work out. Some of the funnest racing we do is oval, but you need to be realistic about it and who it appeals to.

I didn't say oval was easy, because it's not. Easy to do, difficult to master.

Most good offroad tracks are constantly evolving the layout and jumps, and most club road racing sees a different track every single week, keeping interest high. Lack of variety hurt oval, not this cell, that motor, blah... blah... blah...

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #829
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Every option has its problems. The problems with 5 cell are...

1. In the short run you need 5 close matched 6 cell packs to make 6 5 cell packs. With 4 cell all you need is 2 close packs to make 3 4 cell packs.

2. Some chargers will not charge or discharge 5 cell packs so some guys will have to run out and get new chargers right away. This is not the case with 4 cell all chargers can handle 4 cells.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #830
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Racing

There are times I wonder why I quit electric racing....then I read threads like this, smile and then I quit wondering.
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #831
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD
There are times I wonder why I quit electric racing....then I read threads like this, smile and then I quit wondering.
They are changing the rules to make all nitro, Cox .049 powered control line cars next....
Old 11-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #832
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Advil - Take a decent set of IB4200's cycle it and note the average voltage. Do the same with a 4800 LiPo pack. You tell me which you would run.

Do the same test on the track and again tell me which you would run.

Its not going to come out the way you think.

You have done no testing and you have no clue but you insist on posting here like you know what you are talking about.
Actually Adrian, it is you that has no clue. I don't care about LIPO as I don't run them. I care about the guys that do because it is easy for them to use. They bring one charger, some tools, some parts, their car, and a new set of tires. They run competitvely with us. (We make them add lead to their cars to make weight.) How simple is that? No lathes for com cutting (they run brushless), no need for dischargers and balancers. They only have to bring two packs to run. It is very simple for them. And it is BRINGING THEM TO THE TRACK! I would say I probably spend more time "AT THE TRACK" than you do and it is ease of use that will bring the guys to the track. NOT 4 CELL.

P.S. did my testing in OVAL. Did you???? You seem to call up oval tidbits very easily.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #833
Tech Master

Quote:
-No doubt, anyone wanna buy a TC3 , I need a 600.00 motor for my 960.........................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #834
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

P.S. Just in case you didn't catch it...My name is Art Davenport.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #835
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
-No doubt, anyone wanna buy a TC3 , I need a 600.00 motor for my 960.........................
If you need a $600.00 engine for your 960.....then you should be sponsored as you are making the A Main at every race right?
SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #836
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
5. Why is NITRO so popular and growing (offroad) despite more speed and more non-beginner friendly parts?

Exactly, people get into the hobby for the speed. How much fun would a 2 cell touring car be to drive with a stock motor? That would be a GREAT class! Everyone could freight train around the track wfo and NEVER have the power to make a pass.(or get out of shape) The cars would be so underpowered chassis setup would NOT MATTER AT ALL. One set of tires could last ALL season, whoopeeee . A pos fiberglass pan car could hang with ANY touring car. Passing would become non-existient,or if you did make a pass, it would take forever. I have pretty much been out of the hobby(both gas and electric) for a few years and can't believe all the battery crap that now takes place. You want new blood in the hobby, but now you want to take away speed? Add in the HUGE expense because the technology changes too fast. End it once and for all and go BL and Lipo. How about putting yugo motors in the NASCAR series? The stands would empty faster than you could say Budweiser.I cant wait to pound some laps in the spring with my 3 hosepower 960................
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #837
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle478
for the record at my local asphalt track out of 20 racers 3 do not have a brushless motor in there car.

AdrianM,

I want to see how much slower my car is with a 4 cell pack. Where should I start for gearing? I am going to run a 3.5R/GTB

I dont think the local track here will mind me racing with the 6 cell mod class so Ill give it a try.

Im glad my car has batteries in the center, dont have to change much.
Damn, you just might be serious Kyle! I'll take my 3.5 back and run it with you just for fun....
RacingStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #838
Tech Master

Quote:
If you need a $600.00 engine for your 960.....then you should be sponsored as you are making the A Main at every race right?
-Have you priced a .21 motor lately? Anything decent is in the 500.00-600.00 range.............Who said i was making the A main every race night? What should i run? Should i buy good equipment, ie, 960,M11, etc, and put a cheap motor in it with NO HOPE of even coming remotely close to qualifying for an a-main...............................
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #839
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
5. Why is NITRO so popular and growing (offroad) despite more speed and more non-beginner friendly parts?
The biggest reason for nitro's popularity is track time. Given a choice, I could race car-A in 5 minute main, or car-B in a 45 minute main. Not to hard a decision for most.

Time to make electric more of a value with longer heats and mains. Why let your packs "ride the discharger", when you could be making laps with your friends?

I think ROAR would find most of us would be more agreeable to a change if there were a few extra pluses to the minuses. Adding track time and longer heats and mains is a HUGE plus. Okay, you're taking away some power/heat, let us run longer as part of the trade-off.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #840
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
Exactly, people get into the hobby for the speed. How much fun would a 2 cell touring car be to drive with a stock motor? That would be a GREAT class! Everyone could freight train around the track wfo and NEVER have the power to make a pass.(or get out of shape) The cars would be so underpowered chassis setup would NOT MATTER AT ALL. One set of tires could last ALL season, whoopeeee . A pos fiberglass pan car could hang with ANY touring car. Passing would become non-existient,or if you did make a pass, it would take forever. I have pretty much been out of the hobby(both gas and electric) for a few years and can't believe all the battery crap that now takes place. You want new blood in the hobby, but now you want to take away speed? Add in the HUGE expense because the technology changes too fast. End it once and for all and go BL and Lipo. How about putting yugo motors in the NASCAR series? The stands would empty faster than you could say Budweiser.I cant wait to pound some laps in the spring with my 3 hosepower 960................
Nitro off-road is growing because people love to see cars flying over jumps, no-one is talking about 2-cells and stock motors, NASCAR doesn't need Yugo motors they added restrictor plates when the cars got too fast. Is anyone going to quit racing because it is 4 or 6 cells they're running with??? Maybe a great idea since those individuals probably stopped having fun once taking things too serious got the best of them