R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #796
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

So 3 of the best motor tuners out there think this is a bad idea. Interesting.

Roar, comment?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #797
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Phillips
ok to be fair with having bad stock and 19t arms. It happens. We replace them and at least a arm is not 60$ And if you ever attend a race I am at and have a turd, I will replace it.

chad
And when Chad gives them back to you they are wrapped in a bow. Its really sweet.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #798
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlford
So 3 of the best motor tuners out there think this is a bad idea.
While I agree it's a bad idea, I think it's important to note that motor tuners have the most to lose from this. I guess they can all turn into battery resellers, though.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #799
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
While I agree it's a bad idea, I think it's important to note that motor tuners have the most to lose from this. I guess they can all turn into battery resellers, though.
OMG dude are you serious? How do they have the most to lose?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #800
Tech Elite

Don't try and turn this into a brushless thing. This is about 4 cell. Brushless has nothing at all to do with it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #801
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

After reading everyone's comments on here (which about 95% of you guys will never go to a Roar race anyway) I can say that I think we should stick with 6 cell for at least another year as someone else suggested and then look at the options as the year goes on and see how the rest of the world that jumped the gun plays out in their racing.

I think Roar needs to look at what the RACERS want for a change....Not what they themselves want.

As someone else said if you really want to help TC make the rubber tire companies step up their technology as what we have to use now suck....2-3 runs and then they fall off? Give me a break...Thats the single most expensive thing we buy on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

As for brushless I WISH that Roar would take notice and offer some sort of brushless class at every electric national this year so they can see what the racers really want.... Then maybe Roar will sit down with LRP and Novak (the two I heard they have chosen) and make Brushless rules for Stock and 19 turn equalivilent classes so that ALL companies that choose to make a brushless motor that meets the rules will be able to do so as long as approve by Roar as the current motors are.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #802
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
Whats the difference bra? Novaks race BL set-up will cost you between $300 to $350. Then there's a cost of extra motors etc. Plus it takes the fun and competition of tuning motors. Here again, there is no reason for the change. Roar is just like the democrats, thinking they know what we want and need, and they're not even close. I think I see a rtr gas truck in my future.
Now thats some funny s&%*^ This is why I voted for EddieO!
saabdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #803
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default A Solution!

I know exactly how to solve this!

We can put Adrian on one side...

...And I guess since Eddie O's been the most vocal/consistant oposition to him he can be on the other side:

http://ropas.iclod.com/index.aspx

GO!

Best two out of three wins!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #804
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Scuba, the voice of reason, has spoken lol
Old 11-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #805
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just messing with you Chad!
You left yourself open with that one.

Bad analogy time..
F1 went from 3.0L 10 cylinder to 2.4L 8 cylinder formula to save money, drop speeds, make for better racing. Buzz on all three counts, teams spent even more on engine development, straight line speeds dropped but cornering speed and throttle % increased all around the track, races were not that great (between cars that couldn't pull out of the draft on the straight to pass or go thru the dirty air in a corner to pass). And DNF's went up due to motor failure.

I think like Chad said we have already dealt with the increased power in our own ways.

I don't think the speed is intimidating to noobs at all. In our area guys pick up rtr 1/8's and go racing offroad. Several guys who just started this year that way are racing sedans and 1/12 now. They suck (sorry guys) but far from being intimidated they think 19 is too slow and run gtb/3.6-6.5 and mamba 7700. There is no stock class.

At the hobbyshop I work at, what so they ask? "How fast does it go?" and "How can I make it go faster?"

my apologies for the scattershot post.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:21 PM   #806
Tech Lord

I think it has a lot to do with brushless. The increased efficiency of the motors is going to be a much bigger deal when run time becomes an issue in 4 cell mod.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #807
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

I didnt read the whole thread, but everyonekeeps saying oh let the mebers vote.. Well every vote roar has ever had in the last 5 years has had less then 20% of the members even take part in it.. with those numbers, why bother.. It doesnt matter if it was voted by on mebers or not.. Nothing else is.. Lets say it passed to 4 cel with a meber vote.. you all would just find some other way to complain..

4 cell racing saved oval racing.. None of you care about oval, i know, but the roots of r/c has alot to do with oval.. now with brushless racing, oval is gaining more and more every week.. I cant wait till oval re takes the top spot over touring.. I use to love reading this board, but now every thread is filled with nothing but a bunch of whiney babies..

You all need to sit back and really think about what is good for the future of this hobby, and stop thinking about what is good for yourselves..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #808
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Are you sure you know what you are asking for? More expensive motors...more expensive and bigger speedcontrols. I have heard some figures thrown around as to what this stuff might cost. Is a $300 speedo too expensive? How about a $350 BL speedo? I guess thats all ok as long as you get to keep 6 cells and go fast...right?
That would only effect the MOD racers, they are used too spending big bucks,
doesn't effect the other 90 percent of us running stock and 19t, os should we subsidize them too?
Fred
Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #809
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
I didnt read the whole thread, but everyonekeeps saying oh let the mebers vote.. Well every vote roar has ever had in the last 5 years has had less then 20% of the members even take part in it.. with those numbers, why bother.. It doesnt matter if it was voted by on mebers or not.. Nothing else is.. Lets say it passed to 4 cel with a meber vote.. you all would just find some other way to complain..

4 cell racing saved oval racing.. None of you care about oval, i know, but the roots of r/c has alot to do with oval.. now with brushless racing, oval is gaining more and more every week.. I cant wait till oval re takes the top spot over touring.. I use to love reading this board, but now every thread is filled with nothing but a bunch of whiney babies..

You all need to sit back and really think about what is good for the future of this hobby, and stop thinking about what is good for yourselves..
Why does this oval thing keep coming up? I race oval, to me even mod oval is too slow. Back in the late 80'S and early 90s I ran 7 cell oval with a 10 and 11 winds. That was fast. I stopped racing for 7 years and to my surprise no more 7 cell all oval classed went to 4 cells. They neutered oval racing. In our area oval died. Please quit throwing in the oval and trying to compare it to touring cars thing. One glimmer of hope will be brushless the Novak 3.5 with 4 cell does bring back some fun to oval racing. Oval cars go in a circle and never stop or change direction and are not subject to the same heat issues as touring cars.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #810
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs

TC guys are babies? Man if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. I cut my teeth on oval racing back in the early 90's, and those guys cried so much I left the hobby for about8 years. A real racer will turn left and right. Touring car was created with six cell racing in mind, lets leave it that way and just leave well enough alone. And I really doubt that oval will really take over again. Too many babies there, maybe thats why it dies off to begin with
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote