Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Actually a quick poll of local racers shows that they are uniformly against it. The quote was "just another reason to race gas". There were some other comments but they are best left unsaid in public so the same could be said to those whom support 4 cell.Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone doesn't like it.
Yea, you're right. At the last trophy race I went to I heard a compelling argument for 4 cell touring car. At that race I marshalled the 19 turn A main. At the end of the race I picked up the winning car and handed it to the driver. When I picked it up I noticed the smell of a burnt motor. I mentioned it to the driver and he commented the car went soft toward the end. I also walked by the second place car and his motor had an even worse smell.

Today's batteries are so good that they're almost too good. They're putting out more than 1.2 volts per cell, and run time is no issue. In order to be fast you have to gear these motors to death, literally. Now I don't know if 4 cell is the answer, but burning up motors is the problem.

Derek, I talk to racers a lot. The biggest complaint I hear is touring car is getting too expensive. As an example, at the last race, we had 30 1/12 scale, and 9 touring. To see what people are really thinking, follow the money.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If BL is that much better than brushed motors I'm sure the racers in Japan would of used it. In Vegas Mike Dumas won 12th scale mod with a brushed motor against BLs so they can't be that much better.

Just because a few racers use 4 chargers on there packs it doesn't mean it makes a big difference. It has been my experience with RC racers that when they see one fast guy doing something they all think they have to do it only to find out that that the guy with the best setup and driving will still be faster.

I remember some of our drivers a few years back telling me that Hara is charging his packs on what appeared to be magnets. Everyone was real curious as he had just won the race but in the end Hara is well prepared and a great driver. I also remeber when triple charge rates was the new hot thing. It doesn't seem like allot of racers are using this supposedly better method. So in the end charging each cell individually looks cool and the theory of it is great. In real life does it make a big difference I doubt it.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

With most chargers you can charge anywhere from 1 to 8 cells. You can charge 3 cells, you can charge 5 cells. It doesn't matter.

I would personally rather see it go to 4 cells then 5. Mainly then you can run 12th scale and 10th scale with the same packs, instead of still having different packs for the two scales.

That would make it better for the consumer.

Also, I don't think you'll need to go out and buy new cars. You can distribute the weight of the electronics to maintain balance of the cars. ITs not like the suspension geometry is now going to be alot different with a 4 cell car than a 5 cell car....
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
well how about using a voltage regulator for Lipo batteries like the one they use for receiver packs to bring the voltage down.
Huh ??

All ESC have built in voltage regulator called BEC ( battery eliminator circuit ) to provide 6V electricity for Servo and Receiver.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Yea, you're right. At the last trophy race I went to I heard a compelling argument for 4 cell touring car. At that race I marshalled the 19 turn A main. At the end of the race I picked up the winning car and handed it to the driver. When I picked it up I noticed the smell of a burnt motor. I mentioned it to the driver and he commented the car went soft toward the end. I also walked by the second place car and his motor had an even worse smell.

Today's batteries are so good that they're almost too good. They're putting out more than 1.2 volts per cell, and run time is no issue. In order to be fast you have to gear these motors to death, literally. Now I don't know if 4 cell is the answer, but burning up motors is the problem.

Derek, I talk to racers a lot. The biggest complaint I hear is touring car is getting too expensive. As an example, at the last race, we had 30 1/12 scale, and 9 touring. To see what people are really thinking, follow the money.
Odd how at last nights race at Stockton R/C the turnout numbers were exactly the opposite. Way more sedans than 1/12..... I do agree on the money thing though. I just think instead of it being the cost of batteries and motors it is actually the cost of cars ($400+) that is hurting us.....
Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

I believe b/l motors weren't allowed in Japan. No idea why.

I'm not a massive fan of having different cell counts for the 3 main electric classes, but i think 4 cell doesn't suit Touring (by how things looked in Japan, and a post from Chris Granger on a UK forum - he raced there), and it seems that motors can no longer take 6 cell in touring.

So if you take the classes on their own, 4 is fine for 12th, and it looks like 5 is a reasonable solution for touring. Off road really depends on where you race. If you race on dirt in the US 5 is fine, but on high grip tracks in Europe 5 wouldn't be so good, so maybe off rd is best off with 6 still.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Switch to LiPo and Brushless. My race day will be much simpler.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ya, 'cause whenever anyone not in the hobby asks me about rc the question is 'how fast does it go?'...so make them even slower and get nobody interested in the slow pigs, uh ok

I ran off-road for years and nobody ever ran mod and that never stopped new people from coming in and wanting to race...

the problem with this sport has nothing to do with the batteries:

THE PROBLEM IS NEW CARS EVERY SIX MONTHS THAT COST $500....

until that changes nothing will ever change, this is a sorry 'no reason' that has NOT been researched and validated.

Show me the supporting research that says more people race RC when we make it slower.

anyone remember when we went to 10 turn only to slow us down, that lasted eh, lol....this is the same dumb idea
Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Huh ??

All ESC have built in voltage regulator called BEC ( battery eliminator circuit ) to provide 6V electricity for Servo and Receiver.
i meant to keep the voltage the same as 4 cells so they can use Lipos too and keep the Lipo company in the loop
Old 11-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

my self and Jason (protc3) have been running 4 cell mod with this layout for the past 2 months and its really good!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is Bush prez. of Roar now?????
Old 11-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

i meant to keep the voltage the same as 4 cells so they can use Lipos too and keep the Lipo company in the loop
Ohh.... I see.

I rather run 5 cells then considering extra wires and extra labour with 2nd battery.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

As stated by another member on the first page...

....just another reason to race gas

oh and i second the "i call Jihad on ROAR"
Old 11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

my self and Jason (protc3) have been running 4 cell mod with this layout for the past 2 months and its really good!
Have you run 19T and stock with this setup? How is it?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Tell us honestly about top speed 4 cells vs 6 cells ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.