R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #571
Tech Master

Those laptime show nothing more than the track was too small for mod racing. It's like trying to take a fullblown race car with a race-breed LSD and trying to run on a Auto-Cross circuit. My 350Z is too big and too powerful to be fast a track full of cones, which is why a Miata with half the power will be faster. Does that mean I kill the power in my car? No I run where it will be able to shine, and bring the right tool to the AutoX.

If you're faster with a 19T than you are with a 6-turn, then guess what you should run! A 19T. Nowhere have i read that MODIFIED has to have the lowest most insane motor in it, it just removes restrictions. I used to race off-road back in the day with a Crappy SpeedGem 14-turn. Worked great indoors, when I got outside to a larger track, I still won, but down the straight it looked like I had a stock motor...I can still hear Chris Marcey at Madness annoucing "There goes Derek with his stock motor" but because I drove better and hit all the right lines even though I was half as fast I still kicked everybodies ass. The ONLY reason I switched is because I felt stupid on the straight.

What I don't get is that we keep caring if modified goes away. It seems that 19T is the class to run, and stock (which I can't understand anybody saying it's fast) is the semi pro. What we need is a new "beginner" class.

Like mentioned before one of the main problems is a ranking system and not the speed. We don't need to play with current range of speed, we need a system to allow racers to advance.

We dance around the real problems all freaking day. NItro off-road is full of new people, and the hottest segment (has been for years) ALL the cars are too fast for 90% of the people...but it keeps growing, no limits on anything, no spec tires.

Think about WHY that segment is strong, and retaining people and why others aren't. Messing with some standard just adds another hole to the bottom of sinking ship.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 AM   #572
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
Those laptime show nothing more than the track was too small for mod racing. It's like trying to take a fullblown race car with a race-breed LSD and trying to run on a Auto-Cross circuit. My 350Z is too big and too powerful to be fast a track full of cones, which is why a Miata with half the power will be faster. Does that mean I kill the power in my car? No I run where it will be able to shine, and bring the right tool to the AutoX.

If you're faster with a 19T than you are with a 6-turn, then guess what you should run! A 19T. Nowhere have i read that MODIFIED has to have the lowest most insane motor in it, it just removes restrictions. I used to race off-road back in the day with a Crappy SpeedGem 14-turn. Worked great indoors, when I got outside to a larger track, I still won, but down the straight it looked like I had a stock motor...I can still hear Chris Marcey at Madness annoucing "There goes Derek with his stock motor" but because I drove better and hit all the right lines even though I was half as fast I still kicked everybodies ass. The ONLY reason I switched is because I felt stupid on the straight.

What I don't get is that we keep caring if modified goes away. It seems that 19T is the class to run, and stock (which I can't understand anybody saying it's fast) is the semi pro. What we need is a new "beginner" class.

Like mentioned before one of the main problems is a ranking system and not the speed. We don't need to play with current range of speed, we need a system to allow racers to advance.

We dance around the real problems all freaking day. NItro off-road is full of new people, and the hottest segment (has been for years) ALL the cars are too fast for 90% of the people...but it keeps growing, no limits on anything, no spec tires.

Think about WHY that segment is strong, and retaining people and why others aren't. Messing with some standard just adds another hole to the bottom of sinking ship.
ya wanna life raft?.. yeah boi!
BadBoyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:02 AM   #573
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:

I agree. Take the darn 6 and 7 turns out and run the 8 or 9 turn. If that one person can run a 7 and make it last then hats off to him but too many times I've seen racers run motors that was too much for the track they were running on. Most of the pro's can handle the power and some go over board. I'm done with this topic until I actually have to deal with it. Makes no sense what so ever to change the rules for guys to be able to run their 6 turns rather than make time with a 8 turn. Do racers have that option in stock and 19T?????
Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 AM   #574
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Those laptime show nothing more than the track was too small for mod racing.
I think you'll find that track was the same size as virtually every larger indoor event, and larger yet than most club tracks. Meaning the problem is worse yet for clubs.

Or, it could show that the cars are finally so fast, that even the best drivers in the world can't get them around the track quite as efficiently, much less us average joes..

A car that "steps out" coming onto a straightaway will still "step out" if the straight is 80' long, or 120' long. I also feel that the level of commitment to mod is considerably higher, which is less attractive to a lot of people, even myself (but I do it anyway, and it's fun every time.. ).. And now that we finally have all the power we can stand, it's easier to see who has game, and who does not. That also takes some of the fun out of it for a few people as you can't simply blame the batterys anymore. The more ragged edge the car rides, the more that racing will be won by people with extreme talent, and extreme amounts of spare time to commit to the program.

I do like having all the power, as much as the next guy. Regardless of what happens with any rulings, we will still be here, and we will still be racing. That said, I suppose I'm more for trying to accomodate the newer racers (stock is just to fast), if pressed for a final opinion on any kind of change. But let the members help ROAR with necessary R&D. Keep us involved, let us know where you are at.

Speed attracts people, FUN keeps them in. The fun is up to you, your club, and it's members. Where racing is NOT FUN, it dies. Where it's fun, it flourishes.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-28-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 AM   #575
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A short history lesson on what happend to a class that became to fast for most people to drive-1/10th pan car modified.I beleive it died at the last Nationals run at the Minregg Carpet race with only 6 entries.
Look at Stock motors now and what they were 10 years ago. Are they faster- yes.Look at the mod winds are they lower than 10 years ago- yes.Here you have experienced Drivers for the most part talking about less cells. Your not going to stop the battery guys for making less powerfull batteries. After all the power tools need more POWER to run longer.
Either the motor manufacturers can place a restriiction on themselves for motor windings- I doubt they can agree.
Placing a limit on Batteries is another way- 4-5 cells.
And finally just look who is posting and compalining on this and any thread here. A very few people and mostly the same few.If you have issues send them to the organization that is saying this- maybe they will listen?
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #576
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I think you'll find that track was the same size as virtually every larger indoor event, and larger yet than most club tracks. Meaning the problem is worse yet for clubs.

Or, it could show that the cars are finally so fast, that even the best drivers in the world can't get them around the track quite as efficiently, much less us average joes..

A car that "steps out" coming onto a straightaway will still "step out" if the straight is 80' long, or 120' long. I also feel that the level of commitment to mod is considerably higher, which is less attractive to a lot of people, even myself (but I do it anyway, and it's fun every time.. ).. And now that we finally have all the power we can stand, it's easier to see who has game, and who does not. That also takes some of the fun out of it for a few people as you can't simply blame the batterys anymore. The more ragged edge the car rides, the more that racing will be won by people with extreme talent, and extreme amounts of spare time to commit to the program.

I do like having all the power, as much as the next guy. Regardless of what happens with any rulings, we will still be here, and we will still be racing. That said, I suppose I'm more for trying to accomodate the newer racers (stock is just to fast), if pressed for a final opinion on any kind of change. But let the members help ROAR with necessary R&D. Keep us involved, let us know where you are at.

Speed attracts people, FUN keeps them in. The fun is up to you, your club, and it's members. Where racing is NOT FUN, it dies. Where it's fun, it flourishes.
For an indoor track, Cleveland is definitely on the large side. I believe the dimensions for Cleveland were 96 x 48. Most local tracks are no bigger than 72 x 36, many are smaller. If the cars are too fast for Cleveland, they are definitely too fast for local tracks.

Speed attracts.... Sort of. Speed is always one of the first questions, but if people are seeing these missiles slamming back and forth into the lane barriers and limping off broken, how does that attract them? Our local track is in a small mall and we regularly have people stopping in to watch. You hear their reaction when there is a close race going on, not when someone is going banzai down the straight.

At this point, I'd love to tick off all the speed mongers in our hobby. If they want to quit because it's too slow, go ahead. If speed is what makes our hobby interesting, why was our hobby MUCH more popular when the cars were slower?
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #577
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Red face

IMO - I agree with the 4 cell rule. I personally think the problem lies on the other side of the equation. Stock sedan is very difficult today. I am talking about the kid that is comming from the Nikko, Radio Shack, Tyco crowd. These guys are overwhelmed with how fast our stock cars are today. Racing is spread out further. And most importantly, in stock sedan if you hit a board you are going fast enough and carrying enough weight to break just the same.
With 4 cell you could run rubber only rules in stock. Easy learning curve and easy on the equipment.
In 19T you could go to foams. Most of your expirienced club guys would race here.
Then you have open modified.

Any way you look at it it would be cheaper and easier to maintain. Need to get more people in.

I for one like the idea.
Same argument when it was 1/12t scale.

TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:36 AM   #578
Tech Regular

The oval guys had many of the same complaints that are on here when oval went to 4 cell a few years ago. Guess what? Most if not all of the oval guys are happy with 4 cell now and there was a big surge in the number of oval racers (at least locally) because the new guys could actually run stock. Many of the stock guys simply moved up to 19 turn (or mod) where they belonged.

I personally don't understand what the big deal is with slowing the cars down. Most of the guys that are complaining about slowing stock down don't really have a point. There are other faster classes to run if stock gets slower. 19 turn is fixed timing for onroad so it's pretty much exactly what they want (a faster stock motor).

The biggest thing that 4 cell should help out with is tire wear. Lighter cars will wear less on the tires. Right now you can ruin a set of tires in one run at a big race in mod (especially 2 stage). For a race like Cleveland, that's about 7 sets with practice. 7 sets is about $210... Even if the lighter cars need 4 sets for a big race, that's only about half the cost.

Let's see here. Cheaper batteries, lighter cars, slower speeds for the new people...The list goes on. The only two real complaints that I've heard are "battery war" and "it's slower instock".
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #579
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
If speed is what makes our hobby interesting, why was our hobby MUCH more popular when the cars were slower?
Because it was less restricted. It was more interesting when cars looked different and you could run just about any motor you wanted too. Now days all the cars are almost identical and the motors are too. This is why offroad nitro is growing and other areas are not. There are tons of different cars and trucks, the rules are very relaxed, and people can go out and have fun with their cars when they are not racing. Indoor onroad is not that way. Most people don't run their cars outside of the track. If you look at that from a young persons point of view, what fun is it? It isn't. You spend a ton of money on a carbon-aluminum luxury car and you can't even use it unless you are at the track. You can spend the same money on a monsterous nitro truck and go out and drive it anytime you want, even in the snow if you take some precautions (the last electric to do that was the Sand Scorcher, and the industry doesn't make cars like that anymore).

Last edited by kufman; 11-28-2006 at 08:04 AM.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #580
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered

I personally don't understand what the big deal is with slowing the cars down. Most of the guys that are complaining about slowing stock down don't really have a point. There are other faster classes to run if stock gets slower. 19 turn is fixed timing for onroad so it's pretty much exactly what they want (a faster stock motor).

The biggest thing that 4 cell should help out with is tire wear. Lighter cars will wear less on the tires. Right now you can ruin a set of tires in one run at a big race in mod (especially 2 stage). For a race like Cleveland, that's about 7 sets with practice. 7 sets is about $210... Even if the lighter cars need 4 sets for a big race, that's only about half the cost.
Exactly.....BINGO!!!