Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #466
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Tim Potter blew up 3 motors

Just to be clear Adrian, I didnt blow up any motors at that race. I Toasted 3 motors at Superior, I finished off that batch of 4 arms at the next race...and thanks to Jarrod Scott for loaning me one of his Brood Orion motors to finish the weekend.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #467
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
Would running a motor limit in mod like a 10 or 12 turn help solve the problem? Are the guys blowing stuff up run winds lower than 10 most of the time? At the Reedy race with a 10 turn limit do they still blow motors up?
They were still blowing up motors with the turn limit rules. Cranking in a bunch of timing to make a motor run at it's absolute fastest will put a huge strain on it. Effeciency is not any issue with the mah we have now.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #468
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Jack, no offence to you on this. But you are really perpetuating rumors. Until somebody posts a bunch of race results from last year where 60% of the mod guys (from all over the country) can't finish a qualifier, and more than half of EVERY mod main event are finished with only 4 of 10 still running.

Mind you, I am 100% open to any good suggetsion (and feel most of us here are pretty open minded), AS LONG AS SOMEBODY CAN SIMPLY PROVE IT'S A GOOD THING FOR THE MAJORITY OF RACERS! Which nobody has. Don't say "I saw this", "Lots of guys", or any other generalization. Just show us some numbers.

I am also, 100% for not having rumors dictate rules changes, and having rules crammed down our collective throats without being so much as asked. Brushless is an example of something that "magically" appeared in our ROAR rulebooks.

Just show us some numbers.
Exactly, let's see some hard facts and reasons for this contemplated switch ...there may be something(s) we are not aware of or thinking about.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #469
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Derek fankly it's Texas and the West Coast that is dictating this information.What we do here in Florida is just that .If they chose to run 4-5 cells in mod that's our choice.To me extended run times will slow every thing down.But then who am I except on of the few that express my views here.The few here maybe the only ones that care enough but it does not matter as the Excomm does the deciding for ROAR. Voting on -line will not help and I'd bet you would see the same results if it was- people just DON'T CARE.Taking ballots to the track is and has been done- that's how the high numbers of votes were gotten.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #470
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

X

a vote for 6 cells and eventually lipos or the next better battery.

I do not think the 6 cell preference is in the minority. At our track the voting is going 9-1 against 4 cell.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
Just to be clear Adrian, I didnt blow up any motors at that race. I Toasted 3 motors at Superior, I finished off that batch of 4 arms at the next race...and thanks to Jarrod Scott for loaning me one of his Brood Orion motors to finish the weekend.
Tim, I looked around over at FSEARA. 6 minute stock touring is a great idea.

I didn't notice very many dnf's at any of these races though. And the ones that did DNF, how many were simply broken cars? The racing action looks VERY competetive down there. Lot's of guys, "right there". You're lucky to have a group like that to race with.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #472
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog
Derek fankly it's Texas and the West Coast that is dictating this information.What we do here in Florida is just that .If they chose to run 4-5 cells in mod that's our choice.To me extended run times will slow every thing down.But then who am I except on of the few that express my views here.The few here maybe the only ones that care enough but it does not matter as the Excomm does the deciding for ROAR. Voting on -line will not help and I'd bet you would see the same results if it was- people just DON'T CARE.Taking ballots to the track is and has been done- that's how the high numbers of votes were gotten.
The West Coast is dictating what information?
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #473
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

all honesty,i love the speed of 6 cell mod.i dont have any problems with the speed.i do on occasion throw winds if i am undergeared a little but i do hate having to cut motors contantly.this is why i really dont mind the brushless stuff and 4 cell in mod.i have a hard time making a full race in brushless without thermal issues in 6 cell.i know that if i tried to run 4 cell stock i would probably fall asleep at the wheel.it will definately kill stock 27 turn racing.however,maybe this will be a stepping stone for motor technology.lets face it,we all want to go fast.right now we have incredible battery packs that are not being utilized.the motor technology is no way near what they can be.so much voltage is wasted with these low quality motors.if we drop the number of cells and run less voltage to the motor,now we can work on more efficient motors to bring the speed back with less voltage.
just my .02
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #474
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Exactly, let's see some hard facts and reasons for this contemplated switch ...there may be something(s) we are not aware of or thinking about.
Harsh, here are some hard facts from down in Florida. Some race results. And there are some seriuos players on the list.

Anybody see anything out of the ordinary or "epidemic" enough to change a ROAR rule over? Racing action looks AWESOME down there. I want to move to Florida!

FSEARA, race #7 from 10-22-2006

FSEARA, race #6 from 9-24-2006

Old 11-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #475
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
all honesty,i love the speed of 6 cell mod.i dont have any problems with the speed.i do on occasion throw winds if i am undergeared a little but i do hate having to cut motors contantly.this is why i really dont mind the brushless stuff and 4 cell in mod.i have a hard time making a full race in brushless without thermal issues in 6 cell.i know that if i tried to run 4 cell stock i would probably fall asleep at the wheel.it will definately kill stock 27 turn racing.however,maybe this will be a stepping stone for motor technology.lets face it,we all want to go fast.right now we have incredible battery packs that are not being utilized.the motor technology is no way near what they can be.so much voltage is wasted with these low quality motors.if we drop the number of cells and run less voltage to the motor,now we can work on more efficient motors to bring the speed back with less voltage.
just my .02
i agree! bring on the earth's best magnet
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #476
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
The West Coast is dictating what information?
I will need some help from DerekB on this, BUT:
Lets take the 06 Reedy Race for an example:
80 entered in mod, about 30 in invite, so thats 130+ - mods.
Hi temps, long strait, killer sweeper.
Biggest outdoor race in the US for drawing mod racers!
How many motors were blown up? Most I saw were from solder joints on the brushes letting go.
You know those guys were squeezing every ounce of power out of those motors.

Kinda blows the Florida theory away!

In the spec 19 lower mains a lot of motors went from overgearing, 4 cell would have made no diff to them anyway.
Fred
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #477
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones
I will need some help from DerekB on this, BUT:
Lets take the 06 Reedy Race for an example:
80 entered in mod, about 30 in invite, so thats 130+ - mods.
Hi temps, long strait, killer sweeper.
Biggest outdoor race in the US for drawing mod racers!
How many motors were blown up? Most I saw were from solder joints on the brushes letting go.
You know those guys were squeezing every ounce of power out of those motors.

Kinda blows the Florida theory away!

In the spec 19 lower mains a lot of motors went from overgearing, 4 cell would have made no diff to them anyway.
Fred
Not just 130+ mods. Arguably 50-60 of the best Mod drivers in the country, able to extract and exploit every ounce of power and performance, and bring equipment to it's knees.

Want to find out what's weak on a chassis? Let the rookies drive it. Want to find the limit on motors and batteries? Let the pros drive it...

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-27-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #478
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just remembered, the invites were using 4200's, not shure if open mod did too.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #479
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

still waiting for AdrianM to outline the logic behind this proposition.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #480
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'll bet much of his data will come from tracks that run in very hot temperatures or on 1/8 scale tracks so big that Hellen Keller could race mod there.

FWIW....most of the U.S. does NOT race under those conditions.....

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote