R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

tony, when the talk of going to 4 cells first came up i suggested that maybe reducing the traction would help alleviate the excess amperage and blowing up escs.. i suggested either harder tires as the new spec like 36r or possibly RWD.. you should have heard the pros and hot shots! they say they are too hard too drive and too hard to learn for noobs... they must all have forgotten that millions of offroad racers manage and that is on loose dirt! i'd love to race the tamiya f103gt's as a class..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #32
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe once again..Tamiya know more than all of us!

After all, they introduced my favourite cars (Minis) in 1994 and they're STILL going!

tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 AM   #33
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex
From what I recall, I think the 1:12 Porsche 959 was one of Tamiya's first 4wd on-road/rally cars. I think it was released in the late 80's.
That is correct, the first r/c car to have a scale looking body/wheels was Tamiya's 959. Up until that point, most sedan bodies were made to be modified onto RC10's and the like. And believe me, they were fugly!

The TA01/TA02 can be credited with starting the whole "Parking Lot" racing scene. I still have one of the original TA01's, a Nissan Skyline GTR NISMO, NIB. Ahh...the "old" days....
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to rush evo dude Send a message via Yahoo to rush evo dude

wot about this sand scorcher? that must be 'ONE' of the first.

???
rush evo dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush evo dude
wot about this sand scorcher? that must be 'ONE' of the first.

???
The Sand Scorcher was released in the early to mid-80's, the 959 was mid or late '70s.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #36
Tech Addict

I have not only been racing Tamiya cars since 94 but have been racing them at Tamiya USA's track since the. I have made many friends there and the track is not only a second job for me but has been a second home. I remember back when we were running the TA-01 and 02's and back then people would come to the track and whine because they could not run there Associated Pan Car's (since they where non Tamiya) and they would piss and moan that Tamiya did that because they where afraid to race. Then the RS4 came out (it had the advantage of a belt drive 2 speed tranny and a more centered layout making it a faster car for parking lot) and the RS4 bunch would come by and whine while everyone got heavily into FF-01 Front drives (Ah the peak of fun for On-road) now Tamiya sit's on two IFMAR Word Championships in TC won by graduates of their amatuer series and have had cars in almost every TC A-Main in the world for the past 5 years and is still the only US manufacturer to reward it's customers with a facility to run at for free as well as a free National Racing series.

Gotta love it!

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

maybe this will be the cure if the new four cell rule goes in effect.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58376

Tamiya leading the way!

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #38
Tech Regular

associated was the first RC company they started out with rail racing.
Rasmus TbEvo IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think ROAR should make Tamiya bodies the only ones that are legal! I can't wait for the TCS so I can run a scale looking body. Like this! SWEET!
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #40
Tech Regular

I thought I had the first 4wd sedan car with my tao1 Celica with rally block tires. Forgot about that porsche 959 paris rally dakar I wanted so bad when I was still running tamiya buggies. It had a "gold motor" I believe.
Porsche 934, kit 58001? Never heard of that.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #41
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have the TA-01 but i also have it in 2WD... ??

I didnt know what chassis it was until i read this thread lol. Got a williams clio bodyshell on it.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
I thought I had the first 4wd sedan car with my tao1 Celica with rally block tires. Forgot about that porsche 959 paris rally dakar I wanted so bad when I was still running tamiya buggies. It had a "gold motor" I believe.
He he I had a porsche 959 and it did had a technigold motor. It was actually my second RC car ever ! However it was more of a rally var than touring...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter.Z
what about the yokomo yr-4??? it was introduced in that time also.

I had the ta01 ford cosworth, still got the bodyshell somewhere.
The YR-4 was a bit later after the HPI RS4 came out. By then TCs were becoming popular enough and raced enough that Yokomo jumped in.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
Tamiya's first R/C car kit. The body was actually from the 1/12 scale palstic model. The doors, trunk lid and front "hood" were all seperate pieces as well as the window glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheyhoe
I have the TA-01 but i also have it in 2WD... ??

I didnt know what chassis it was until i read this thread lol. Got a williams clio bodyshell on it.
Your 2Wd drive car is a FF01. That was a FWD version based off the TA02 chassis. Same tub and most of the suspension of the TA02 with different front arnd rear gear case. Tamiya later made a FF02 FWD car that uses a chassis similar to the TL01 / mini style chassis.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
I have not only been racing Tamiya cars since 94 but have been racing them at Tamiya USA's track since the. I have made many friends there and the track is not only a second job for me but has been a second home. I remember back when we were running the TA-01 and 02's and back then people would come to the track and whine because they could not run there Associated Pan Car's (since they where non Tamiya) and they would piss and moan that Tamiya did that because they where afraid to race. Then the RS4 came out (it had the advantage of a belt drive 2 speed tranny and a more centered layout making it a faster car for parking lot) and the RS4 bunch would come by and whine while everyone got heavily into FF-01 Front drives (Ah the peak of fun for On-road) now Tamiya sit's on two IFMAR Word Championships in TC won by graduates of their amatuer series and have had cars in almost every TC A-Main in the world for the past 5 years and is still the only US manufacturer to reward it's customers with a facility to run at for free as well as a free National Racing series.

Gotta love it!
Amen
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote