RC's Greatest innovations.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Without a doubt:

Old 11-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

Capacitors in the motor end bell. No more having to load one side of the motor up with three caps!

Snowy.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know spektrum blows this away, but Synthesized modules were darn handy when they came out.. a turn of a dial and you have 30 crystals at your command..

I'm sure nitro engine technology has come a long way, both in RPM, horsepower and ease of use.. rip the cord and off you go.. less tuning, more running.. the 2-speed transmission should get a nod too..
Old 11-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddesros2
Top Ten:

#1: Electronic Speed control (ESC). Remember the pre-Novak N-1 days...we don't wanna go back there.
#2: BEC (battery eliminator circuitry), you may not think about this, but once ESC's came to be, the Rx's had to follow and BEC eliminated the RX pack.
#3 DSM, no more X-tals...nuff said.
#4 Silicone shock oil. Works in all temps, no hair dryers to keep your shocks working.
#5 Personal Transponder. No more "brick" in the car, nice just to slap on track, check in and go.
#6 Pistol grip radio. I don't remember the days before the pistol grip, but I have seen the radio's you old guys used to use...they sure did suck.
#7 Brushless, no more brushes!!! Woohoo! Let's party!
#8 Li-Po, not main stream yet, but getting there!
#9 4wd, took many years and many different cars to get right, but all the most popular classes these days are 4wd.
#10 Peak chargers, just push button and wait, it stops on it's own...nice.
Easily the top ten innovations we've seen. I'd also add battery bars somewhere. Those of us who dealt with MSCs, see ESC as a blessing. DSM over crystals was the next big thing. Transponders went to P.T. also made it easier. Pistolgrip Radios are sweet. Brushless and Lipo's are the newest thing we have to enjoy.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my top 3

esc
ball diff
threaded shocks

even though they're annoying, the new batteries.....just can't keep up with them.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

4 cell TC... Woo Hoo.....
Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tire warmers, motor fan, spool...
Old 11-24-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

Nicad or NiH batteries.
I'm not sure if nicad was a development, or wether it existed before RC. If it existed before RC, then NiH batteries have to be it.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

No doubt that the ESC takes the cake - I believe the first ones were CS.

Other fundamental ones imho:
- counter-threaded rods... no more balljoints to pop off to adjust the suspension geometry... can't remember who came with this first, probably schumacher?
- belt drive - before that you either had wobbling,inefficient shafts (tamiya) or awful, distended chains (old Kyoshos, hirobos) - I think the Mugen Bulldog was the first one
- CV shocks - not so long ago the yellow tamiya shocks were the shizzit... before that only the AE gold shocks were working but you had to "prime" them to mix the air to the oil
- CV joints - Thanks Mr Moore

Recently, the LiPos have just blown me away... they really change the way one does electric RC!

Paul
Old 11-24-2006, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
- belt drive - before that you either had wobbling,inefficient shafts (tamiya) or awful, distended chains (old Kyoshos, hirobos) - I think the Mugen Bulldog was the first one
The first belt drive was the Hirobo 44b, released in 1983. It also had belt drive replacing the pinion/spur set up years before the "Hyperdrive" system was available.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

"The Aluminium Clamp-On Hex Drive!!!"

Behold the best piece of equipment to ever be produced for the R/C market.
This simple article has made any other drive method redundant.

Also remarkable is that "one" size ("12mm A/F") has been internationally accepted!

Can you count how many times those stupid plastic molded ones got stuck inside your wheels? Or cracked and made the wheels out of true, or jammed onto the hub bearings.

Even the American companies like Losi or Associated have accepted the "metric" standard. Very rare in any engineering situation.

Now we just have to convince the 1/12th scale and Off-Roaders to adopt the same.

1/8th scale Quick Release is also very nice.
Attached Thumbnails RC's Greatest innovations.-tamiya-hex.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bender
The first belt drive was the Hirobo 44b, released in 1983. It also had belt drive replacing the pinion/spur set up years before the "Hyperdrive" system was available.
absolutely gorgeous Turbo Scorpion avatar, btw

And thanks for the history lesson on the hirobo - the 44b was the rock'n vega, or another one?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:09 AM
Tech Champion

The battery matching systems - Navcom and CE with CE winning. Now everyone has matched batteries.Before them we had a Delta system that did one battery at a time(early Tekin). We also had Lavco system it did 1-4-6 cell packs( Still have mine).
The rebuildable motors first introduced by Leisure Electronics (electric airplane motors). This was before the Kyosho Lemans motors.
For those Futaba Brown box radios the Delta switch to adjust the throw. don't look at it wrong as they always moved.
The Bolink guys introducing the 1st 1/10th pan car at the WinterNationals in Orlando.
Delta introducing the first electric speedcontroller driven by Art Carbonnell at the WinterNationals. Associated also showed the first RC10 there.The Futaba Magnum radio with the swivel head for both left and right handed drivers.Tim Morton at TRC for giving us foam tires where you could sent the used -cleaned rims to him and they would mount new foam. Maximod for the best tire truer to hit the market.Mine still works great.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lonestar
absolutely gorgeous Turbo Scorpion avatar, btw

And thanks for the history lesson on the hirobo - the 44b was the rock'n vega, or another one?
The 44b was actually a range of 4 cars, the only noteworthy difference being an enclosed radio box on some models. There as a Hilux, A Honda City, the Rock'nVega buggy you mentioned, and one other which I cant remember.

I can't take credit for the Scorpion pic, it comes from a fantastic Japanese site called Time Tunnel, found HERE !
Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Tech Addict

RC's Greatest Innovations?

1# RC Tech Forums

The knowledge ive gained off these forums have been the biggest innovation for me and have made the biggest different to laptimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.