R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown
Default Help with suspension tuning (TC3)

All right, I have been racing this car for about 2 months now. When I first started, I noticed that when I take turns going rather fast, the car would want to lift off the ground. Sometimes it would even flip over. I was racing one day and it happened and one of the "experienced" racers seen it. He told me to get the car and bring it to him. I did so, and he said that I needed to stiffen up the suspension. He suggested that I get purple springs all the way around. I ended up with copper in the front and red int he rear. My droop is set to stock which I think is 6 in the rear and 4 in the front. After I made that change, I took it back out onto the track and noticed that things got better. The car wouldn't want to lift up as much...but it did do it every once in a while. I only does it when I am going down the straight away and I make the turn. I even let up off the throttle a little and it still does it. So then, I bought the sway bar for the rear to see if that would help it any. From what I can see, it didn't really help it at all. Maybe just the slightest bit. After all is said and done, the car still wants to lift up off the ground when I am going into that turn after the straight away.

Can anyone recommend some things for me to try and test. I am sorta new and don't know all the "tricks". Thanks
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Sounds like you are getting to much traction...I don't know what type of surface you are racing on but you might want to consider changing to a different type of tire.
Telengard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I race on Ozite carpet. Everyone that races there runs foams. Double-purple's in the front and purples in the rear.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Unknown, sounds like you have a TC3. First thing you should do is go to the TC3 thread and start reading. If you read back a few months and still don't find the info you need, then ask the guys on the thread. They should be able to help. I can give you a little advice though. If you have plenty of traction, reduce your droop the same amount front and rear. That will help with the traction rolling issue. You should also increase spring rate until the car gets loose enough to slow down. If the car is rolling over quite a bit (suspension roll, not traction roll) then it will most likely get faster before it gets loose.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
Tech Adept

thanks for the help. I will go over to the TC3 Forum and try to get some answers there.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:24 AM   #6
Tech Adept

After searching the 137 pages...I got sick and tired of it. That thread is just too big.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

One of the best resources for the TC3 is the "e-book" that Associated sells for about $4. It is available online as a .pdf document once you pay for it. It covers all of the suspension options.

Asking experienced racers also is good, but it helps to have your own foundation of knowledge.

BTW, lose the ugly avatar.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok, heres the scoop. When you run any car with foams you have to run stiff springs. Most guys on a tc3 will run 30-40 pound springs. I used 30 pound springs on my xxx-s, and really stiff hpi springs on my pro 3. It's just something you have to do when you run foams on ANY car. Cooldadrc's had a good idea, you should also get the tc3 tunign guide thing. The xxx main tuning book is good too but it's kinda spendy. Well good luck, hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:49 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to wheelmanST

ok im going to give you my setup...or atleast the parts that will help you. you have the springs right for foams...what oil are you running?

try this:
Front: copper springs, 70 wt oil, swaybar or the BRP extra thick one
Rear: red springs, 50wt oil, swaybar

go with a droop setting of 7 in the front and 5 in the rear for starters and adjust front droop depending on how the car is performing. the swaybars are a must for carpet and foams. also your rollover problem sounds like your front is too soft, and in turns is leaning and letting the inside come off the ground. a thick swaybar up front will help. try my setup and lemme know how you like it. this is what i run and i couldnt ask for a better setup. good luck!
wheelmanST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help. I will try that setup the next time I go to the track.

As for me changing my avatar.....heh