HPI gets it

Old 02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Unhappy HPI gets it

Why is it that olny HPI and Tamyia are the olny companies that inclued a detailed decal sheet with there bodies. I'm a fan of both the BTCC and the Super V-8 touring car series and I think it's great to watch Replica cars going around the track. Protoform has a Vauxhall body, Prama has the MG body but both olny have headlight and tail light stickers. I would love it if these companies could inclued more detail in their sticker sets. I'm I the olny one who thinks this way???? I know about having to buy the rights to some of the stickers, does HPI have the market cornered. What are your thoughts on this?????
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 02-21-2003, 02:55 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

yeah replica bods are nice

in australia we have V8 super cars(2 make Aus built 4 doors). these are very popular and we race rc cars with the same team bodies as our favorit stars, however, you still have to paint all the detail yourself without stickers witch is a real pain
Old 02-21-2003, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

I just went to the Protoform website and it says that their body's come with a decal sheet. And, if you look at the picture...they have pretty much everything that should be on the car (headlights, taillights, front upper and lower grills, fog lights, window frames) what else are you looking for in order to make it a "detailed" decal sheet?

Old 02-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't recall window frames on any Protoform body.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

because I would throw them away just like the taillights and grill decals.......

All I ever apply anymore are the headlights!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default Decals included????

Originally posted by spooky
I don't recall window frames on any Protoform body.
From: IMPACTPLAYR because I would throw them away just like the taillights and grill decals.......
Racing can be very hard on Bodies, especially when parking lot racing. Most experienced R/C racers leave the extra decals off.
ProtoForm/Proline Bodies only include Head/Tail lights and have never included the window trim decals. The newer HPI bodies are nice with the pre-cut decals, but none of the sponser decals are cut so you still have to do them by hand.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

yeah it's nice to see fully stickered up body's but i race-don't use many stick's except headlight's and tail and i rely on some of the sweet (is the only word for it) paint job's that can be done to get a cool body. usually people that have heap's of sticker's on their car are hiding somthing like bleed's.

and i find that hpi body's are for racers less concerned with perfomance because they include heap's of stick's and body's are thicker and heavier last's a little longer under the control of a hack

only 2 brand's of body i'd use yokomo or protoform

just my opinion
Old 02-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

I never put stickers over where I've masked in case people accuse me of covering up mistakes
Old 02-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Lightbulb I never use stickers

THey wouldn't last 2 seconds on any of my bodies
-Dave
Old 02-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

I use Protoform bodies and like them. My point was if they are going to make bodies that are replicas of real race teams, why not include the decals of that teams sponsers, like HPI and Tamyia do. Thats all. Don't get me wrong I race single color paint job bodies that I just finished painting at 3:00 A.M before a race day. I don't always want a highly detailed body. It's just nice to stand out from the crowd of Dodge Stratus, with your fav BTCC or V8 super Touring driver. If you have the speed channel and race touring cars you should try to watch these series. They take the whole "Rubbing is racing" thing to heart.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Lightbulb I never use stickers

-Dave
Old 02-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I race a radio controlled race car, not a replica.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Tech Regular

I am another fan of detailed and race looking bodies as opposed to "floral" themes and concourse cars that never see the track. I find that over time I've accrued a good set of decals that can be used to detail many of my bodies. Also I might add that my two HPI bodies are 10 grams lighter than my protoform bodies. Here are some of my bodies.

HPI Honda NSX with paint + RS.R sticker

HPI Alfa Romeo 156 with paint and Mission Stickers

Protoform Alfa 156. This one is all paint, baby!
Old 02-22-2003, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

and i find that hpi body's are for racers less concerned with perfomance because they include heap's of stick's and body's are thicker and heavier last's a little longer under the control of a hack
Have you ever seen some of the Andy's bodies? My friend has one (hard to get them now that he is at Pegasus Hobbies and not with Trinity) and it is TWICE as thick as any HPI body that I remember... great for him

BagofSkill ... has got some major skill if he did that redbull car with only paint... I would have just given up because I am not the type that likes to make replica bodies for myself.

You must have a bit of a 'trophy case' filled with bodies that don't see any racing. (or a beautiful hunk of junk when you decided to race it against your natural instincts.. )
Old 02-22-2003, 04:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: I never use stickers

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
-Dave
lol I use stickers to keep my bodies together

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.