Community
Wiki Posts
Search

voltage threshold

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default voltage threshold

can somone make this clear to me and give me a straight answer i'v alway's been just slightly unsure about this.
there is very mixed feeling's about setting this feture on your charger i'd like to hear what u set it at and why
Old 02-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Depends on battery type and which things you want the most: battery life, runtime or speed.

Here are some tips:

http://www.promatchracing.com/faq.html
Old 02-21-2003, 04:18 AM
Tech Initiate

When using NICad or NIMH battery's do not go below 0.85V per Cell or you will distroy them.
In general 0.9 V per cell will do, so for a 6Cell pack this is 0.9Vx6=5.4V.

If you use higher voltage settings like 1V per cell this will not make them compleet emty and you can get memory effects with the NICAD's.

Greatz Whacky.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Voltage Threshold: A user selectable feature used in most of the newer chargers whereby the user can set the amount of voltage change that is necessary in order for the charger to detect a "Peak" in a battery pack. As cells charge, the pack voltage will increase until fully charged. At this time, the voltage on the pack will start to drop. When the voltage drops by the amount set in the Voltage Threshold setting, the charger detects this as a "Peak" and charging is terminated. This is an especially useful feature to prevent overcharging cells. The higher the Voltage Threshold setting is, the hotter the cells get. High cell temperature is detrimental to the overall longevity of the battery pack. In general, NiCd packs can charge and peak normally using a 12mV/cell setting, while NiMH packs (3000mAh sub C's) require a much lower setting of 4mV/cell.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

telengard gave some good places to start. basically with nimh just adjust it for how hot your packs get, if they coming off hot not warm then lower it a mv.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:59 AM
Tech Regular

i know how to use it and what it does what i wanted to know is why som guy's set it so high for nimah's and what it achievs some guy's say 1mv some 3-5mv so that's what i'm asking