R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
"Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy XRAY 007' Diagnostic Issue

I just finished building the 007 last night and noticed a couple things that are bothering me and I am trying to find out if it is normal.

1) The diffs front and back wobble when they are not tight. If I make them tight then they are locked up which is no good so my question is are they supposed to wobble. Check yours by grabbing the center of diff
and shaking side to side and see what I am talking about.

2)If I turn any one of the wheels by using my finger on the face of the rim and making a complete circle, a ticking noise can be heard from the wheel area. It is doing it on all four wheels and it doesn't seem like anything is binding, is this noise normal?

3) When driving the car on a flat surface and watching the rear of the car driving very, very slow, the entire back of the car wobbles from one side to the other, any ideas?
__________________
Brendan a.k.a. "Spanky"
TEAM LOSI 22SCT ..... 22T 2.0 ..... 22 2.0
Orion----Promatch Racing----Spektrum---Proline---Island Raceway
"Gone But Not Forgotten" --- RC10T, RC10T3, RCTc4, XRay007, XXT, XXTcrGraphitePlus, XXXT, XXXTMF, XXXTMF2----
"Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
seaball's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,303
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Default

Yokomo MR4TC-BD? no.
Team Losi JRXS? no.
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan? no
Hot Bodies Cyclone? no.
Tamiya TB Evolution V? no.
Team Losi JRXS Type-R? no.
XRay T2'007? yes.
__________________
*** The Gate II - Home of Mike Wise ***
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
RobertV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nor*Cal
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky
I just finished building the 007 last night and noticed a couple things that are bothering me and I am trying to find out if it is normal.

1) The diffs front and back wobble when they are not tight. If I make them tight then they are locked up which is no good so my question is are they supposed to wobble. Check yours by grabbing the center of diff
and shaking side to side and see what I am talking about.
This is normal, there is a slight amount of side to side play between the bearings and the diff itself "wobbles" because like all ball diffs, the rings ride on top of the diff balls. Do not ever tighten them so far that you lock it up, you can easily damage your diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky
2)If I turn any one of the wheels by using my finger on the face of the rim and making a complete circle, a ticking noise can be heard from the wheel area. It is doing it on all four wheels and it doesn't seem like anything is binding, is this noise normal?
Does it click at the same point every time the wheel goes around? twice per revolution maybe? It might just be the roll pin moving inside the wheel hex. I have also seen a problem when people use too long of a screw to connect the camber links to the hubs, and it rubs onto the CVD's. Even if the screw is the correct length, make sure that there is no plastic flashing protruding down where it might contact the CVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky
3) When driving the car on a flat surface and watching the rear of the car driving very, very slow, the entire back of the car wobbles from one side to the other, any ideas?
No idea.. does it track straight?
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky
I just finished building the 007 last night and noticed a couple things that are bothering me and I am trying to find out if it is normal.

1) The diffs front and back wobble when they are not tight. If I make them tight then they are locked up which is no good so my question is are they supposed to wobble. Check yours by grabbing the center of diff
and shaking side to side and see what I am talking about.

2)If I turn any one of the wheels by using my finger on the face of the rim and making a complete circle, a ticking noise can be heard from the wheel area. It is doing it on all four wheels and it doesn't seem like anything is binding, is this noise normal?

3) When driving the car on a flat surface and watching the rear of the car driving very, very slow, the entire back of the car wobbles from one side to the other, any ideas?

1) Normal.

2) its the pin in the layshaft that locks the pulleys in place. It will slide back and forth making this noise....No harm in it though.

3)No clue but I dont think you'll see it on the track. Just run the car and be fast

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Tech Adept
 
RobertV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nor*Cal
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
2) its the pin in the layshaft that locks the pulleys in place. It will slide back and forth making this noise....No harm in it though.
I had forgotten about that one, that might be it as well so make sure you really think its coming from the wheels. To eliminate the harmless but annoying clicking sound from the layshaft pin, just grease it up w/ some diff lube before assembly and it will be silent.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky
3) When driving the car on a flat surface and watching the rear of the car driving very, very slow, the entire back of the car wobbles from one side to the other, any ideas?
Your flat surface doesnt happen to be carpet does it? At slow speeds the car will kinda follow the grain, the bigger the knap, the more it does it.
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
"Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for all of the input guys except the first guy who doesn't know a good car when I run him over with one. The car wobbles on solid wood floor, I have the tires trued so I will look into it further when I am home from work in two hours. What lay shaft pin are you talking about? The ones under the teeth for the two gears next to the spur gear? I had another thought about, I think some loctite from the set screw in the cvd may have gotten into the joint causing the snapping noise, and yes it sounds twice per revolution.
As far as the diff goes, i thought it was normal but just wanted to be sure!
__________________
Brendan a.k.a. "Spanky"
TEAM LOSI 22SCT ..... 22T 2.0 ..... 22 2.0
Orion----Promatch Racing----Spektrum---Proline---Island Raceway
"Gone But Not Forgotten" --- RC10T, RC10T3, RCTc4, XRay007, XXT, XXTcrGraphitePlus, XXXT, XXXTMF, XXXTMF2----
"Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Spanky
Thanks for all of the input guys except the first guy who doesn't know a good car when I run him over with one. The car wobbles on solid wood floor, I have the tires trued so I will look into it further when I am home from work in two hours. What lay shaft pin are you talking about? The ones under the teeth for the two gears next to the spur gear? I had another thought about, I think some loctite from the set screw in the cvd may have gotten into the joint causing the snapping noise, and yes it sounds twice per revolution.
As far as the diff goes, i thought it was normal but just wanted to be sure!

Yes the two pins in the layshaft that lock the 2 pulley gears in place. The reason its twice per revolution is it's flopping from one side to the other....therefore 2 clicks per revolution. Very annoying but not harmful

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Twin-Kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Puce,ONT Canada
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yes the two pins in the layshaft that lock the 2 pulley gears in place. The reason its twice per revolution is it's flopping from one side to the other....therefore 2 clicks per revolution. Very annoying but not harmful

EA
I tightened up the tolerance in the pulley slots and that took the clicking away...
Twin-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
JasonC's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: oceanside ca
Posts: 4,099
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yes the two pins in the layshaft that lock the 2 pulley gears in place. The reason its twice per revolution is it's flopping from one side to the other....therefore 2 clicks per revolution. Very annoying but not harmful

EA
one word.... Shoe-goo
__________________
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Joel Lagace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,628
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

foam tires eh? Do you happen to have the shocks in the outer most hole on the rear arm? Most 28mm plus rims will rub the lower end of the shock. i think it happens at the front too with wide foams.


NEXT EVOLUTION OF SEDANS PLEASE:
-no clicking cvds at full lock
-if u make a foam car let it run foam tires out of the box at all shock locations
-drop kick the price downward!
__________________
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
www.rcottawa.com
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Nexus Racing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 848
Default

To get rid of the clicking noise caused by the layshaft pins, I just put a small amount of thick grease on the 12mm pins before putting them in the layshaft .
__________________
NEXUSRACING.com
Nexus Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
"Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I figured it all out, the clicking noise turned out to be the rear hubs hitting the rear arms from moving foward and backward, seems like normal play. If you grab the rear hub you can move it a little from front to back and watch it click the rear arms, probably need that play so it won't bind. The wobbling was the rear tire on the right side was broke but didn't see it and the diff play is normal.
__________________
Brendan a.k.a. "Spanky"
TEAM LOSI 22SCT ..... 22T 2.0 ..... 22 2.0
Orion----Promatch Racing----Spektrum---Proline---Island Raceway
"Gone But Not Forgotten" --- RC10T, RC10T3, RCTc4, XRay007, XXT, XXTcrGraphitePlus, XXXT, XXXTMF, XXXTMF2----
"Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!!! ESC Issue Chris__RC Electric Off-Road 6 08-31-2008 01:31 PM
X Ray T2 007' US Spec Package ghoppa R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 07-20-2007 09:28 AM
XXX-S Issue Sweeney921 Electric On-Road 18 01-22-2007 08:07 AM
DPD issue Racingfreak6 Electric On-Road 5 01-01-2007 09:56 AM
XRAY T2 : Space Issue butrflynlambie Electric On-Road 23 06-01-2006 01:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:42 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net