R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default your opinion needed

I am looking to open and indoor racetrack. What type of race surface is prefered, carpet, asphalt or tennis court paint?
Please include reasons why.
Thanks for you time
Opsibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

lot's of looks, but no posts
please help
Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Tech Adept

wait r u looking to open your own track?
juanfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Tech Master

i prefer asphalt. carpet is for those who cant set-up a car
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

carpet or asphalt. Ask the local racers in your area what they want.

Indoor asphalt would be different...not much of that here in the US I don't think.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
Yeah, whatever!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
Speak for yourself.

It depends on what the local racers would want to race. I know that I prefer carpet with foams.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'd love to see indoor asphault....
Old 11-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One point to consider... I think it's very agreeable, that we need to grow this hobby (and your track business as well). My opinion is, that carpet helps new racer growth more than asphalt. For example, for road course, touring is comfortable on either carpet or asphalt, but the 2nd biggest class is 1/12th, and it takes more driving skills to run 1/12th on asphalt. Therefore it can frustrating for new racers. 1/12th is gaining popularity lately for many reasons, but I think one of the biggest reasons is the 1/2 price compared to touring. Half the price to purchase, half the parts, less weight (tires last longer), etc. If you go asphalt, you'll be encouraging new racers to go with the more expensive touring class, because they are easier to drive.

Another thing to think about, in the US, the 3 biggest races (Snowbirds, Cleveland, Las Vegas) are all on carpet. I know that many racers enjoy practicing for the big races at their local tracks if it's carpeted.

For me, I learned on asphalt, and wouldn't mind racing on it. However, I think the growth of the hobby is important right now, or else we'd have limited to no selection of racers to race with.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

It really depends upon what part of the county your talking about. Here in the west/southwest outdoor asphalt is more common but I think a place that could fit a good sized carpet track, and offroad track indoors as well as provide outdoor asphalt would be the ideal situation. The rub with this idea is that to operate a facility of that size you would need lots and lots and lots and o'yea lots of racers to cover the overhead.

Chris
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsibo
I am looking to open and indoor racetrack. What type of race surface is prefered, carpet, asphalt or tennis court paint?
Please include reasons why.
Thanks for you time
We have 2 indoor tracks locally, one is carpet the other tennis court grade asphalt.

Asphalt:
Good: Can run type tire and tire sauce, long lasting, low maintenance, use heavy duty velcro to secure track barriers. Rubber tires will last a long time and foams also seem to last longer for some reason.
Bad: traction roll can become a problem for new racers. Installing could be a problem with getting the installers equipment in and because of the weight you need a floor/foundation that can support it Costs more to install, start/finish line cut into tar means you really can't move it.

Carpet:
Good: Foams tires work best, people like it better because there are a lot more indoor carpet races that tar. All the big indoor races are on carpet.

Bad: Some tracks will not allow rubber tires because it will cut the life span of the carpet. Costs less to install. foams don't last as long on carpet as asphalt.

Tennis court paint: Why????? who wants to run on paint?!?!?!?!?!?!?

track borders/barriers...
wood 2x4s are used by most tracks, they also do the most damage to a car.
Road dome: On small tracks you will get a lot of head on collisions, cars just going all over the place.
Plastic PVC/roof gutters: They take up a lot of space on the track and can be hard to see your 12 scale if it gets close to the side. Bulky to use, and shape, making round corners is a challenge ( we cut slots to do this but they can break after a couple track layout changes ).
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Tech Addict

I think a lot depends on your areas out here on the west coast we have outdoor tracks more then indoor and we have very few carpet tracks.

In the Midwest and back East I think favors carpet as they have the most indoor tracks and O would say most of them are on carpet.

Carpet wear out much faster then Asphalt are you prepared to do the maintenance required for carpet? Asphalt is very low maintenance.

I know of a surface used on some Tennis/Basketball i.e. Sportscourts that is a rubberized surface and has a texture to it which should favor rubber tires as the best grip and least amount of wear would occur with rubber on rubber. This also would be ideal as you would not have to add any additives. One factor that many people out here locally seemd to be annoyd with is the additives that are found at most indoor tracks as even with ventalation it makes some people ill.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HotrodHopkins

how about this, lay down asphault then put carpet on top when you want carpet??? just a thought.

but like some poeple said it depends on what the local racers want.

-1990 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado TBI350 "Heavy Half". 1971 Chevrolet Nova

-My lug nuts require more Torque than your Honda makes.
HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM   #14
Tech Elite

don't want to start a big debate, but we have a indoor asphalt track in the seattle area, 12th scale is NOT a big deal on it, i can see where learning to drive a rear wheel drive foam car on a parking lot would be difficult to learn for the new guy, but indoor, not a big deal, we run a variation of purple/black/red front, and pink rears. the only problem we have is guys that are used to running sedan and switching to 12th have to learn to slow down the steering wheel inputs. we are very lucky in our area to have serveral top tracks. Peel IT/br00d. about 1 1/2 hours north, RAIN CITY raceway, 45 minutes north, both carpet at this time, but peel it has indoor asphalt under the recently laid carpet. (also location of 2007 paved nats). we/I also have a indoor asphalt track 15 minutes north, a indoor dirt track, 20 minutes south, and a huge outdoor parking lot track 25 minutes south. and there are more, those are just the tracks i've been to. so in this area. (seattle) building another indoor track would be a risk, so it better have something to draw in the customers that the others don't. as far as what surface, doesn't really matter, at this point in my "rc life" i just wanna have fun and hang out with friends, winning isn't important anymore.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

Thank's guy's
Any other thought's?