passing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
shall we say 27t & 19t spec classes then
Mod guy`s are more polite for sure

we will see Boosta after sundays meet how you feel
you will get loads of thanks when you race at the smae club with the same guy`s week in week out
but when you start racing outside that Bubble ` then it`s gets intresting
your racing against strangers & there are quite a few in 27t & 19t (UK) that will do a dodgey monuever no probs & getting that word out (Sorry) is like getting blood out of a stone

anyway roll on sunday CYA there Boosta
For sure Jolly done the wars for the last two years and yeah your right it is alot diffrent to racing at your local, hopefully after a round or two people will get to know each other and you never know you might even hear that word!!!

C U there
Old 11-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

all this passing etiquette how about tips on how to keep a line, what is the apex and how much throttle to use. any books or sites with help. i've gotten alot better but i'd like to get consistent.any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by gonzo416
all this passing etiquette how about tips on how to keep a line, what is the apex and how much throttle to use. any books or sites with help. i've gotten alot better but i'd like to get consistent.any help would be appreciated.
most of what you want to learn comes with pratice i`m afriad

Apex is the middle of the corner

But pratice pratice is the best thing
Old 11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
most of what you want to learn comes with pratice i`m afriad

Apex is the middle of the corner

But pratice pratice is the best thing
Agreed.

But don't be shy on asking a few of your local fast drivers to watch you trackside and provide feedback. I'm always bothering someone fast to give me constructive criticism.

I even go so far as to hand them my transmitter and watch them wheel my car on a better line through each corner. Demoting yourself to sideline quarterback status helps a lot.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

slip stream
Old 11-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

I don't give corners...Move or get moved. Simple as that.
Just remember...If you dish it out, be prepared to receive it. People will learn to adapt...
Old 11-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twin-Kyle
I don't give corners...Move or get moved. Simple as that. Just remember...If you dish it out, be prepared to receive it. People will learn to adapt...

I tote a 5 pound hammer in my pit box for drivers like this. Its in my back pocket when i volunteer to corner marshall...

Qualifying is just that, qualifying. It is how fast you can get your car around the track without interfering with others that are trying to do the same thing. That includes moving out of the way for a faster driver, or at LEAST making a solid attempt to do so... accidents DO happen. During a race, its a different story. I dont give away position either... the person behind me has to earn it... just as i would, but WITHOUT CONTACT. Its really hard, knowing you are faster than the person in front of you, and to be patient and wait for that hole to slip by them for position... sometimes it never comes... but it makes you a better driver, as well as a respected one. Now, if you are being lapped by lead cars, a solid attempt of moving out of the way is expected. Put yourself in their shoes... wouldnt you want lapped cars to get the "eff" out of your way if you were making a run for the win?

Now, there are such instances where contact is made that is clearly, um, how can i say this... INTENTIONAL. Thats when you grab that earlier mentioned hammer, and take care of business...

Alot of new people to this hobby have never competitively raced an open wheel class... like offroad buggy or truck, for instance. It is in your best interest to give room and make way for traffic, fast OR slow. In TC and/or closed wheel/body classes it is much easier to bump and fender someone and not get hung up, or have to wait for a corner marshall to fix the situation. Corner marshalls add ALOT of seconds to the clock... moving up and out of the way can add only tenths of a second... if done right. If your car is slow, or you are just plain having a crap day and cant seem to "get your wheel on", then be polite and move out of the way so the only entry fee "wasted" is your own. No one likes a hack...
Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are penalties for causing an accident pretty much unheard of at club level racing? I can see that an ingredient in keeing this sport popular would be trying to minimize the frustration factor. I notice at our club all the experienced drivers have stepped up to 19 turn or modified classes to avoid the begginers and unintentional hacks. It looks like impatience gets the better of most of us newbies.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
I tote a 5 pound hammer in my pit box for drivers like this. Its in my back pocket when i volunteer to corner marshall...

Qualifying is just that, qualifying. It is how fast you can get your car around the track without interfering with others that are trying to do the same thing. That includes moving out of the way for a faster driver, or at LEAST making a solid attempt to do so... accidents DO happen. During a race, its a different story. I dont give away position either... the person behind me has to earn it... just as i would, but WITHOUT CONTACT. Its really hard, knowing you are faster than the person in front of you, and to be patient and wait for that hole to slip by them for position... sometimes it never comes... but it makes you a better driver, as well as a respected one. Now, if you are being lapped by lead cars, a solid attempt of moving out of the way is expected. Put yourself in their shoes... wouldnt you want lapped cars to get the "eff" out of your way if you were making a run for the win?

Now, there are such instances where contact is made that is clearly, um, how can i say this... INTENTIONAL. Thats when you grab that earlier mentioned hammer, and take care of business...

Alot of new people to this hobby have never competitively raced an open wheel class... like offroad buggy or truck, for instance. It is in your best interest to give room and make way for traffic, fast OR slow. In TC and/or closed wheel/body classes it is much easier to bump and fender someone and not get hung up, or have to wait for a corner marshall to fix the situation. Corner marshalls add ALOT of seconds to the clock... moving up and out of the way can add only tenths of a second... if done right. If your car is slow, or you are just plain having a crap day and cant seem to "get your wheel on", then be polite and move out of the way so the only entry fee "wasted" is your own. No one likes a hack...
No better way to say it. AMEN!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Much of it is pretty common sense.

If I am being lapped and the leader is coming fast I will give him room to get by. If he is coming slow I will try to out drive him as long as I can, if he is on me I will let him go and follow him. I have had it where the leader got by me, screwed up and I went back by and pulled away from him. If it is the "leaders" I will get out of their way and let them race.

If I am the leader I will usually not put up with much from lapped cars especially if I am fighting with my position. I will not punt but will get by with authority.

If I unintentially wreck somebody I will say sorry immeately and after the race. Common sense. Even will wait for that person if it was really bad on the track as a good will thing and try to give them back their position.

Sometimes my friends or people who I practice/race with me that might be slower usually as a good-will-gesture slow to a stop and pull to the side when they seem me coming. Usually this screws me up because I don't know what they are doing and they don't know the feeling of how to race with faster cars. I just tell them drive their line and maintain their speed. If they want to let me by just give me a little room to the inside. They will drive better lines and I will not see them as a sloppy driver.